MCAT Verbal Study material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cartman1980

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After doing some homework on the available prep work for MCAT it appears to be that EK101 and TPR/H Verbal are the two best sources. What i was wondering was whether verbal prep materials from other types of tests e.g. GMAT or GRE could prove relevant wrt the deductive/extrapolative reasoning being tested?

Its a long-shot question but figured i'd throw it out there.

Members don't see this ad.

After doing some homework on the available prep work for MCAT it appears to be that EK101 and TPR/H Verbal are the two best sources. What i was wondering was whether verbal prep materials from other types of tests e.g. GMAT or GRE could prove relevant wrt the deductive/extrapolative reasoning being tested?

Its a long-shot question but figured i'd throw it out there.

Yes.

I've read that lsat works too. but before you go outside mcat material, tbr verbal is supposed to be ok after ek and tprh

I don't know... I finished up TBR, TPR and now finishing up EK verbal, and they are sooooooo very different from each other. I scored highest with TPR around 11-12, with TBR 9-10 and now with this freaking EK I am scoring 8 WTF! and I am freaking out over this...

I heard that EK verbal is the most accurate and the best, so does this mean that I will be getting the EK score on my real MCAT? I've been studying since Jan and will be taking my test at the end of May.

Any advice?

One thing I did notice was that although EK seems to preach hard about getting the main concept behind a passage, a lot of their questions actually aren't about the main topic unless their idea of main topic include getting the detail down as well.

Also, they have way too many questions that are itself paragraph as well that takes me forever to comprehend. TBR and TPR has questions like that now and there, but EK is just filled with them I HATE EK

Please somene tell me that the real MCAT is not like EK verbal... PLEASE

I am actually kinda upset by this

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know... I finished up TBR, TPR and now finishing up EK verbal, and they are sooooooo very different from each other. I scored highest with TPR around 11-12, with TBR 9-10 and now with this freaking EK I am scoring 8 WTF! and I am freaking out over this...

I heard that EK verbal is the most accurate and the best, so does this mean that I will be getting the EK score on my real MCAT? I've been studying since Jan and will be taking my test at the end of May.

Any advice?

One thing I did notice was that although EK seems to preach hard about getting the main concept behind a passage, a lot of their questions actually aren't about the main topic unless their idea of main topic include getting the detail down as well.

Also, they have way too many questions that are itself paragraph as well that takes me forever to comprehend. TBR and TPR has questions like that now and there, but EK is just filled with them I HATE EK

Please somene tell me that the real MCAT is not like EK verbal... PLEASE

I am actually kinda upset by this

Judging from your scores, you have a specific problem. You get the details and don't mind boring passages that are longer, but you aren't as good with ambiguous or abstract questions. Try identifying what kind of answers trick you. Usually I would pick answers that were too specific or addressed only part of the question. It's good that you're doing EK now because you can focus on that aspect of your verbal prep. Keep going with it and really force into your brain the right way of thinking that you figure out from your post-game analysis.

Judging from your scores, you have a specific problem. You get the details and don't mind boring passages that are longer, but you aren't as good with ambiguous or abstract questions. Try identifying what kind of answers trick you. Usually I would pick answers that were too specific or addressed only part of the question. It's good that you're doing EK now because you can focus on that aspect of your verbal prep. Keep going with it and really force into your brain the right way of thinking that you figure out from your post-game analysis.

Thanks

I know what my exact problems are...

1) I don't want to spend the time searching through the passage to find details. I could but that would be killing too much time and I am too focused on getting the main concept that I purposefully don't pay attention to details unless its pivotal to the main idea.

2) Those awful ambiguous questions. I get so lost in them that I pick silly answers.

Basically, nothing that I can't answer if I had the chance to read everything twice and ponder a little about it.

Thanks

I know what my exact problems are...

1) I don't want to spend the time searching through the passage to find details. I could but that would be killing too much time and I am too focused on getting the main concept that I purposefully don't pay attention to details unless its pivotal to the main idea.

2) Those awful ambiguous questions. I get so lost in them that I pick silly answers.

Basically, nothing that I can't answer if I had the chance to read everything twice and ponder a little about it.
I would take EK's strat with a grain of salt. While you're reading the passage it's great to focus on the main idea. But if a question asks about a detail, go to the passage to find it. For those ambiguous questions, what helped me is to pretend a regular guy had just asked me that question about the passage, i.e. don't over think it, and give the literal answer.