MCAT Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Challenge

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I have already registered for Aug MCAT this year but I don't think I'm prepared for the exam at all. Even if I study hard enough over this summer, I doubt my chances to get good good grades on MCAT. Espcially I'm very concerned with verbal reasoning part.
English is my 2nd language so it takes pretty longer time to read passages and solve problems. For the first time I took verbal reasoning, it took about 3hours to finish the exam and I got 7 on the verbal.
I wasn't too much frustrated how I performed it because I knew I can improve the score at some point. But is it possible to get at least 8 or 9 (verbal) on this Aug MCAT if I do many practice exams and spend lots of time reading Time / U.S. News magazines for 4mons until the exam? I am also enrolled at Kaplan this summer and retaking Chem and Organic this summmer as a post-bacc.

However, I'm not applying medical school this year. For this Aug MCAT score, I'm applying School of Public Health(MPH) for the spring semester. I want to go to graduate school before I apply to med school due to my low stat. For now, I'm just very worried about MCAT score for graduate school and I realize that the students who get into Master program of public health also have high stats.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Challenge:

I understand your dilemma. It can be discouraging to see the lower end of the scores. If it took you 3 hours to complete a verbal practice exam, I would really work on that since on the real exam, you only get 85 minutes to complete it. Getting a 7 after 3 hours working on the exam doesn't really give you any idea of how you'll do on the real exam. I would suggest that you take the exam within the 85 minutes so that you will get a better idea of how you would do.

Since English is your 2nd language, admissions committees will consider that; however, they also want to make sure that as a physician you will be able to read and comprehend the English language with a certain level of aptitude. Is there any way for you to get extra help outside of Kaplan for this section? For the verbal section, the more practice you can get, the better -- much of it has to do with timing and endurance.

Finally, graduate school doesn't require the MCAT in case you're really worried about getting into grad school with low MCAT scores. Some schools may accept ANY standardized exam, including the MCAT, but if your goal is to get into grad school, I wouldn't mess with the MCAT at this time.

Just some thoughts.

Man just take the whole thing on a free weekend. I will be blunt and come out and say that D.O. schools (most) will overlook some weaknesses if you have strong points to make up for them. Me, V-6 above 9 on PS and BS (not appropriate to flaunt #'s unless asked), and English is my native language, however I am from Southern Indiana
smile.gif
. I was also personally told by admissions that my dedication and work experience is quite admirable. I started working as a CNA at the end of my senior year in HS, worked as a CNA part of my frosh year in college, then got a job in a "Top 50" hospital as a Med-Surg. Tech and did that and taught aerobic and was a personal trainer. Then this year (I graduated in Dec. 1999) I got a job a Phlebotomist/IV-therapist. Bottom line is that you have to show dedication and hard work. It will make up for those areas that you are not skilled in. Almost everyone on this board has made grave sacrifices to get into med school. Now I can finally look back at my peers asking me "why do you want to clean up ****, wipe asses, empty bed pans for" and all of the parties that I obstained from attending and say I did it to take one step further in obtaining my goal. Good Luck.

[This message has been edited by ryanpj (edited 04-13-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your sincere advises.
The reason I'm taking MCAT instead of GRE in order to get into graduate school for the next Spring is that I am also gonna take MCAT next April and hopefully submit application with much higher MCAT score to medical school which means that I'm planning to apply medical school next summer. So I thought it's much better to prepare one thing MCAT from now on so that I can improve my MCAT score more for the next April. Besides, I don't like GRE. I love science. Well, most of School of Public Health department also accept MCAT score which is good thing.
What if I get acceptance while I'm attending grad school? I will try my best to get MPH before going to med school but it won't hurt if I just go to med school without finishing grad school. Just my thoughts.

I understand your reasoning, but I still recommend that you take the MCAT as few times as possible. You really shouldn't take it unless your ready for it. Remember the schools will get copies of all your scores. Just take the GRE, it's shorter and has a verbal section so it will be good practice. Finally, if you do take the MCAT this August, you might consider applying to a few schools anyway. You never know, you might surprise yourself.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 04-14-2000).]

Do not take the MCAT unless you are ready! Even if you choose to withold your scores, when you finally do decide to release them (be that after your second testing) the schools will see all your scores, including the first ones. I took the GRE and it really wasn't that bad. The Princetom Review has a great CD you can use to review. That's all I used and I surprised myself by doing really well. I never took advantage of it because I opted to work the year before starting med school instead, but I'm glad I took it. I strongly advise taking the GRE for grad school, and using pracice MCAT's to practice..you are doing a diservice to yourself to use the real thing as a practice test. BTW, the GRE is offerred on computer now, so you get your scores right away and scheduling is really easy.

Uh-oh... Hmmmm I've already payed 1year Kaplan courses and I've also payed MCAT fee.
I once registered for GRE and then canceled it and got only partial refund. I understand what you all saying.
I could have been more careful about this decision. But, if I do better on MCAT in April 2001 than Aug, is this going to be no problem for my application? I'm getting pretty frusturated about my decision. I don't know whether I should regret about this or not.
Hmmm..... I've been studying for MCAT really hard. I know for sure that I won't mess up MCAT pretty badly this Aug. But I'm not sure that I can get at least 27 on the exam. Anybody know that I can cancel Aug exam and register for the next April exam without losing any money?
Please help.. I would really appreciate.

well I agree with that guy who got 6 on verbal to an extent.

You really have to concentrate on one thing..
If you think MCAT is your block then work at it as hard as your can......Cuz it will make things easier for you if you do well...
It can make a difference between those who are waitlisted or those who are give multiple acceptances..so work at it...

Now, MPH I really doubt that a graduate degree will make you look better. I know guys with PhD and they are not seen any different than other candidates...

If I were you I would just get a decent job if is in the area of health care even better.
then on your free time study for MCATs. and if you really can take some science courses to keep you uptodate....

Sincerely,

Jacob Keum4th year NYCOM