MCAT Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolchix321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What practice verbal passages most resemble the Verbal on the MCAT?
EK 101 or Kaplan online material?
Which one is good to practice with?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, with time being of the essence, I'd like to study more efficiently. I honestly do not have the time to do both, so I would rather do the one that most resembles the real MCAT.
Thanks

Stop being a vegetable and stay up an extra hour or two to do the extra prep materials. Don't just choose passages that look easy or are short. Do every one and don't be lazy trying to filter out work.

her name explains all :laugh:

Stop being a vegetable and stay up an extra hour or two to do the extra prep materials. Don't just choose passages that look easy or are short. Do every one and don't be lazy trying to filter out work.
Stop being a douche. Don't post something just because you have something to say. We have enough of people like you.

What practice verbal passages most resemble the Verbal on the MCAT?
EK 101 or Kaplan online material?
Which one is good to practice with?
I'd highly suggest you go with EK 101, because Kaplan is almost completely unrepresentative of the real MCAT. Kaplan mostly concentrates on the questions that require you to go back to the passage and look for itty bitty details. These passages are not only difficuilt, but its hard to finish on time. What EK does is that it concentrates on the main theme, or main idea. You are asksed questions such as inferences, how other people would react to it, what the author would say if .... were to happen, how someone mentioned in the passage would react, and just generally main idea questions. This is what what most MCAT VR questions are like. Per passage, if you have 8 quetsions, 5 questions are bound to be this kind of main idea, and about 2, max, will be details. You may have 1 other question.

And also, this is not just my opinion. even the MCAT "moguls" here will agree that it is best to stay away from Kaplan VR, even if you have time.

Members don't see this ad :)

please be considerate of other people

You can't find me? What?
So definitely go with EK VR 101? Stop doing Kaplan?
What if I already finished the EK 101 book... should I redo them?
Thanks

She's been removed completely. Her posts were pointless and ridiculous.
YERSH! WE DID IT! WE GOT RID OF HER! CHANGE! CHAAANGE!!! OBAMMAA!!! WE EFFING DID IT!!! CHANGE!!!!!!

And going back to the OP:
Did you really finish EK 101 or are you just starting to ask hypothetical questions now?
By the time you finish EK 101, then I guess you should be in a similar spot with the rest of the content review (almost finishing) and start practice exams.

The thing is, I finished the EK Verbal 101... however, my score did not change at all. I am wondering if I should redo them.

I agree with what has been said up to this point. The little exposure I had to Kaplan VR (their free diagnostic) ended up being very unrepresentative of what I found on the real MCAT. I didn't use EK, but I did use the AAMC online practice tests, which were also more theme and tone based. I felt comfortable going into the exam after using those and felt good coming out. They ended up being very representative of what I found when I took the MCAT for real. If you haven't used the AAMC ones yet, consider trying it. I think exam 3 is free.

indian girl has been removed :thumbup: :love: :laugh: I feel so :p ok ok ok, back to the question the OP had. If you are desperate for some extra umph on the verbal and your completely done with all the EK 101 verbal passages, I suggest that you reread the passages and write out completely in 3-5 sentences the main idea of each passage. This should definitely help you out. You should also try to get some extra passages if you can.

Get some extra passages from where?
What passages are representative of the real thing?

Go here to access the AAMC MCAT practice test page. You can order practice test 3 for free. It's CBT, which is pretty sweet. And you can skip around the sections, meaning you can go straight to the verbal reasoning section. It will be pretty representative of what you find on the real thing.