MCAT vs GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toddsetaghian

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post/thread so hear me out. I just finished my sophmore year at Cal State Northridge and since completing this last semester I've been super stressed on my position as a premed student. I'll be going into my junior year with a 3.8ish GPA, but no particular experince in the field. I would assume many of you agree that attaining the average GPA's med schools admit are fairly feasible, but what I'd like to know is, if scoring the average MCAT scores (31+) are just as possible or is it as hard as many make it out to be? I do plan on taking prep courses, test, aids...., but I don't know why I feel like it's going to be really difficult. I'm not a dumb/lazy guy, I just got freaked out when I looked at the amount of accepted students with 36+ MCAT scores and a bunch of people saying how hard it was. What do you think? Did you go through an anxiety phase? What can I do in terms of experience? Appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

The MCAT is not that hard. Don't let people psych you out. Just do well in your pre-reqs, take some practice exams, and relax. As for medical experience, there is a wealth of information on this available on SDN...I recommend doing a search for "clinical experience" in the pre-allo forum.

The MCAT is not that hard. Don't let people psych you out. Just do well in your pre-reqs, take some practice exams, and relax. As for medical experience, there is a wealth of information on this available on SDN...I recommend doing a search for "clinical experience" in the pre-allo forum.

^ What he said. :)

I wanna help out more so here are some links that may be helpful to you. :D

The Importance of Physician Shadowing

What kind of clinical experience is needed?

Should I shadow private pratice or hospital?

How to Get Clinical Experience (UC Berkeley)

The Importance of Clinical Experience

Tips for Volunteers

Shadowing Doctors (College Confidential)

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA is harder than the MCAT...Gpa is a culmination of 4+ years of work whereas the MCAT is a culmination of 5 hours.

GPA is harder than the MCAT...Gpa is a culmination of 4+ years of work whereas the MCAT is a culmination of 5 hours.

good joke. maybe four years plus five hours. for many people getting a decent mcat is quite a bit harder than maintaining their gpa.

but as long as you don't take it lightly you should be fine.

The MCAT isn't easy, but it's not nearly as hard as everyone makes it out to be. I was pleasantly surprised when I started to study, and I didn't have much time to prepare.

The MCAT certainly is difficult as far as tests go. This does not mean that it is impossible. If you are intelligent, study smart, and put effort into it you will be fine, just like any other test.

I have a 3.9 GPA and scored something like an 18 on the practice kaplan MCAT, with no studying (my first time ever taking the test, or seeing the material)...I think I'm going to have some work to do.

This is my first post/thread so hear me out. I just finished my sophmore year at Cal State Northridge and since completing this last semester I've been super stressed on my position as a premed student. I'll be going into my junior year with a 3.8ish GPA, but no particular experince in the field. I would assume many of you agree that attaining the average GPA's med schools admit are fairly feasible

maintaining a 3.7+ GPA is not easy. how many people at your school do you think actually have a 3.7??? especially with difficult science courses. i'm willing to bet not very many. its because its hard

if scoring the average MCAT scores (31+) are just as possible or is it as hard as many make it out to be? I do plan on taking prep courses, test, aids...., but I don't know why I feel like it's going to be really difficult. I'm not a dumb/lazy guy, I just got freaked out when I looked at the amount of accepted students with 36+ MCAT scores and a bunch of people saying how hard it was. What do you think? Did you go through an anxiety phase? What can I do in terms of experience? Appreciate it.

why does that freak you out? who cares. did you look at the amount of peope accepted with scores of 28? 29? 30? if you did, you wouldnt be so worried. you dont need to get a 35+ to get into a med school.

ryserr21, I didn't mean to say that keeeping a 3.5+ GPA is in any way easy, but it's very possible if quality time and effort is put into schoolwork. The MCAT, however, seems to be much more difficult in terms of scoring in the above average range. I know the majority of people at my school, or in any school for that mater, don't pull of GPA's in the 3.5+, but from what I've seen most applying/accepted to med school have at the least a 3.5. Still, it's not say someone with a lower GPA or MCAT wont get in, but we all obviously want to score as high as possible. Plus, more often than not, GPA's tend to be closer to perfect in contrast to the MCAT.