MCAT while in Organic Chem II?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnTheOtherHand

The Voice of GeneCo
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am fresh into pre-med (I'm working on my pre-med requirements starting this semester) and I worked out my course schedule throughout my BS (yeah, I'm the kind of person that plans ahead) - I noticed that I'm going to wind up taking Organic Chem II in Fall 2012 (with taking Organic Chem I in Summer 2012) - otherwise, I'll push my graduation to Fall 2014.

Now, my issue is, should I take the MCAT in Fall 2012 while I'm taking Organic Chem II so that if I don't do so well then, I can retake in Spring 2013? If so, how important is Organic Chem II on the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I am fresh into pre-med (I'm working on my pre-med requirements starting this semester) and I worked out my course schedule throughout my BS (yeah, I'm the kind of person that plans ahead) - I noticed that I'm going to wind up taking Organic Chem II in Fall 2012 (with taking Organic Chem I in Summer 2012) - otherwise, I'll push my graduation to Fall 2014.

Now, my issue is, should I take the MCAT in Fall 2012 while I'm taking Organic Chem II so that if I don't do so well then, I can retake in Spring 2013? If so, how important is Organic Chem II on the MCAT?

>Not a good idea...try not to take pre reqs over the summer...
>Dont rush through it take all your pre reqs then focus on the MCAT

Also since you're just starting out ! Do not focus on just getting A's in the pre-reqs really try to understand every topic it will help you a lot later on when preparing for the MCAT !

>Not a good idea...try not to take pre reqs over the summer...
>Dont rush through it take all your pre reqs then focus on the MCAT

Also since you're just starting out ! Do not focus on just getting A's in the pre-reqs really try to understand every topic it will help you a lot later on when preparing for the MCAT !
Ah, okay. That was kinda what I thought.

I feel that there has been a large chunk of orgo II on each AAMC practice tests I have taken. I don't see how many people say there was hardly any orgo on the MCAT and say the AAMC tests are the most similar to the test...

I have just learned that Physics is included in the MCAT (yeah, I feel ******ed now) and since it has such a big portion of the physical sciences, I'd be royally hosed since I can't take Gen Physics at my college WITHOUT Calculus I (and I'd have to take Calculus II to take Gen Physics II).

I'm going to HAVE to do MCAT after Organic Chem II anyway, since I'll be done with Physics as well.