MCAT without Cell Biology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xJoseph

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really want to take Immunology. However, taking Immunology would mean I will not be tackling Cell Bio. this upcoming semester and, as a result, I'll be taking the MCAT without it, too. What do you all think?

I know it's imperative to take Cell. Bio prior to taking the MCAT, but ughhhhh I want to take Immuno sooooo badly.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is imperative to take Cell Biology prior to the MCAT. Although it would help, I'd say you should take immunology and just study cell biology on your own time since thats what seems would make you the most content.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think it is imperative to take Cell Biology prior to the MCAT. Although it would help, I'd say you should take immunology and just study cell biology on your own time since thats what seems would make you the most content.
I love you for this.

Members don't see this ad :)
have you taken genetics and biochemistry? between those and intro bio, you should cover everything in cell bio.
Yes, I've already taken Genetics and Gen. Biochemistry ( The one semester course).

Yes, I've already taken Genetics and Gen. Biochemistry ( The one semester course).

That should be fine - especially with self study of the biological sciences. From my experience, Biochemistry was the most useful when it came to the biological sciences portion of the MCAT.

Cell bio isn't that important, biochem is way more important, and genetics is important too. Take immunology if you really want to (although to be honest I hated that class)

Sorry to keep vexing, but genetics on Mendelian Inheritance, pedigrees and all that sort of stuff? Or mainly the molecular aspects?

Last edited:
Sorry to keep vexing, but genetics on Mendelian Inheritance, pedigree's and all that sort of stuff? Or mainly the molecular aspects?
my genetics class had both, also a heavy emphasis on the lab techniques. was your class missing something that you noticed?

I really want to take Immunology. However, taking Immunology would mean I will not be tackling Cell Bio. this upcoming semester and, as a result, I'll be taking the MCAT without it, too. What do you all think?

I know it's imperative to take Cell. Bio prior to taking the MCAT, but ughhhhh I want to take Immuno sooooo badly.

Concepts that you learn about in immunology may help you on the MCAT too.
Check out page 33 from AAMC's content guide...
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...379a2c5353/mcat-bb-content-outline_022817.pdf

Practice helps too.

Last edited by a moderator: