1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MCAT without Organic Chem 2

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by DOC G., Dec 6, 2005.

1. DOC G.

DOC G. Member
    5+ Year Member

I was wondering sense the MCAT is somewhat reducing the Organic Chem on the test would it be doable to make a 30+ without Organic Chem 2? I am going to be using the ExamKrackers Review material and also Kaplan material to study would that be enough to make up for the Ochem 2 stuff?

Thank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AtomKr

AtomKr Member
    5+ Year Member

I took organic chem 1 and 2 over a single summer freshman year, hated it, and promptly forgot it all during next semester's science-free study abroad. I took the MCAT 2.5 years later and ignored organic altogether- NO studying for it at all. Like you, I used the Kaplan books, but I just threw the organic book away and focused on my strengths.

I pulled an 11 on biological sciences and 33 overall. It's definately do-able. Orgo 2, at least for me, was nothing but memorizing reactions anyway and had very little to do with the MCAT (and NOTHING to do with medical school) If you have the time, just review your Orgo 1 stuff; if your class is anything like mine, that will be 75% of your organic chem MCAT questions anyway.

Good luck!

4. thadarknyte

thadarknyte Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I also HATE orgo and didnt study it. The only thing i studied was Sn1 and Sn2....and on my exam, i ended up with the bio section being approximately 40% orgo....hence I am taking it again....

i guess it all depends on ur luck!

5. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It can be done especially if you have your Orgo 1 down very well. I suggest the EK book. EK gives you only the essential details of Orgo 1 & 2 and a nice seperate section on lab technique. MCAT orgo is a simplified version of what you see in class.

Also the EK 1001 ochem book was on the money. I borrowed this from the library.

6. Dr Trek 1

Dr Trek 1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah there is lots of stuff from Orgo II that you do not need to know for the MCAT. EK is definately the best source, since they know what you do not need to know. Kaplan, however, teaches you everything so they can cover all their bases.

What I would do is get the EK orgo book. It actually says what you don't need to know, "but it won't hurt learning anyway". Ignore the last part and do not even bother studying what you do not need to know (for instance I believe that there are no alkenes or alkene reactions on the mcat). Just to be sure, go to the AAMC website and download the content list for the MCAT orgo section. Whatever is in the books but not on that list, do not waste your time studying. It takes courage (because all of your sucker friends who actually study everything will be stressing about stuff they do not even need to know), but it will pay off in the end.