MCAT without Physics 2 or O-chem 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

black007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, Let me say that this website is awesome. Second, I am only a soph and just found it.

I am trying to decide if I should take the MCAT this summer. I will have BIO 1/2, G-chem 1/2, but only Physics 1 and O-chem 1. Anyone have any advice on this?

Thanks,
Black007

Members don't see this ad.

NMR theory is usually covered in OCHEM II at a lot of schools. You should definitely know NMR for the MCAT, it is probably the most important thing you will learn all year.

If you are good at studying on your own and teaching yourself new material you'll be fine... I highly suggest a prep-course, specifically TPR.

I just took the MCAT on the 12th and have not taken Bio or Gchem for over five years so I had to reteach myself everything, you will have to be very dilligent about studying b/c you'll have to work harder to understand, but it can be done... TPR is good for our situation because it meets often and instructs similar to the way you would learn it from a chem class (ie. teacher lecturing, Q&A)

Well this really depends on you as an individual. The first obvious question is if you feel you can be better prepared to take the MCAT in Aug rather than Jan or April. I feel you believe you would feel more confident taking the test with the summer to prepare instead of trying to prepare while taking classes. I think part of it also depends on how comfortable you are with the material you have covered. The place to start is the AAMC list of topics covered on the MCAT to see what areas you will have to learn.
I think a better option is to start your MCAT prep this summer. Review all topics, take some FL's and assess your strentghs and weakness. Then develop a plan to integrate some review and practice test with classes in the fall. Take some more FL's at Christmas break and assess any weakness. Develop a plan to practice and review up to your test date.
But like I said it really depends on you. How prepared you feel at the momment and how devoted you are to preparing over the summer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the responses. This website is really great. I will look into Princeton and Kaplan courses. I really need to take it this summer because I am planning on studying abroad for the entire year. I can't imagine it would be fun preparing for the MCAT and taking it while abroad.

Black007

I think it would be tough to take without physics 2 or o-chem 2, IMO. It really depends on what you feel comfortable with in the way of topics. My physics 2 course was almost entirely electricity and magnetism, 2 small topics among the long list of things you need for the MCAT physical sciences. O-chem 2, on the other hand, was almost all reaction theory (specifically aromatics, carbonyl, and alpha-carbon chem)....while the lab course covered NMR and chromatography.

If theres ANY guarentees for the MCAT, I GUARANTEE there will be at least one proton NMR question....it never fails that they ask for number of peaks or the splitting pattern for a signal.

take phys 2 by all means. Ochem is not tested that much anymore. people have been getting 1, 2 or so orchem passages in the mcat in recent years. just know the reactions in the ek notecards and teach yourself some nmr (it's soo easy on the mcat). physics is serious. it's definitely harder to learn electricity and magnets, optics, and all that on your own and the odds of them being test is much higher.

If you didn't take the sciences and need more of the content foundation I would recommend the TPR course as they have much more content emphasis in the classroom.

If you decide to prep after you've taken those courses, the kaplan program will concentrate more on strategy and practice for the exam.

Why would you want to take it early. Med schools see every score you get on it. Just study until youve taken org2 and phys2, both of which are the more important semesters of their courses. Take it January of your junior year if you want to take it early, that way you still have enough time to take it again in April or may if necessary.

If you are good at studying on your own, I think you can get a decent MCAT score without Physics 2 or OChem 2. I took it without either of these and got a 32. Of course, I wonder how much better I could have done if I'd waited, but I was happy. If you are not aiming for the upper 30's and have a good reason for taking it early then go for it.