MCAT MCAT Workout and Cracking the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RebeccaTPR

Vendor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT scores are a critical factor in the ultra-competitive medical school admissions process! Cracking the MCAT and MCAT Workout bring you proven techniques from the test prep experts that will help you score higher on the exam. Plus, it includes the most up-to-date information about the MCAT CBT (computer-based test) format.

In Cracking the MCAT, we’ll teach you how to think like the test writers and we’ll give you

-Hundreds of practice questions in the book and exclusive free access to practice tests online
-Simulated MCAT passages just like the ones you’ll find on the exam
-Substantive practice tied to every concept reviewed, followed by detailed solutions
-Special sections on MCAT essays and a review of essential mathematics
-A thorough and systematic review of all science and verbal skills you’ll need for the MCAT

All topics in the physical and biological sciences are presented with sample problems, labeled illustrations, charts, and diagrams. Our practice questions are just like those you’ll see on the real MCAT–but with detailed answers and explanations for every question.

MCAT Workout offers practice chapters for each section of the exam with hundreds of questions, and offers access to two online practice exams.

Try out this Physics question!

20. If an object is moving to the right along a straight line and at a constantly decreasing speed, then which one of the following must be true?

A. The object's velocity is directed the same way as its acceleration.
B. The net force on the object is directed to the right.
C. The object's momentum is directed to the left.
D. The total work performed on the object is negative.

Members don't see this ad.

May I have a clarification on the above question? What type of object is this? A train? A bird of some sort?

Thanks for the question, Grog!
While the object doesn't matter for the purposes of this problem, let's pretend it is a pizza on wheels.

Members don't see this ad :)
let's pretend it is a pizza on wheels.

That is a beautiful image, and definitely motivates me to consider the problem in greater detail. Thank you! I was like :scared: but now I'm all :cool:

I have the MCAT Workout...is there any point in me getting Cracking the CBT too?

How many practice tests are in Cracking the CBT?

is B the correct answer?

I have the MCAT Workout...is there any point in me getting Cracking the CBT too?

Yes there is a point! MCAT Workout has good quick overviews of the question types and tons of practice questions, but the Cracking book has much much more strategy. It also has completely different practice questions and practice tests.

How many practice tests are in Cracking the CBT?
Cracking the MCAT CBT has 4 full-length practice tests online.

is B the correct answer?

D is the correct answer. Here's the reasoning:

The velocity of the object is to the right, but since it is slowing down, there must be some component of acceleration to the left (A is wrong). Likewise, some component of net force must be pointing to the left as well for teh object to slow down (making B wrong). Momentum (p=mv) is always in the same direction as velocity, in this case to the right, making C wrong.
Total work represents the change in total energy. Since the object is slowing down, kinetic energy is decreasing and work must be negative.

Come back tomorrow for another question!

OChem Question

13. The major reason that phenol is a better Bronsted-Lowry acid than cyclohexanol is:

A. it is a better proton donor.
B. the cyclohexyl group is an electron-withdrawing group by induction, which destabilizes the anion formed in the reaction.
C. phenol is able to stabilize the anion formed in the reaction by resonance.
D. the phenyl group is an electron-donating group by induction, which stabilizes the anion formed in the reaction.

C is the correct answer.

Come back tomorrow for another question, and feel free to post your guesses or ask questions!

GChem Question

Compounds with relatively stronger intermolecular forces are expected to have:
A. higher specific heats and higher heats of fusion
B. higher specific heats and lower heats of fusion
C. lower specific heats and higher heats of fusion
D. lower specific heats and lower heats of fusion

are these books similar to the 2002 Science workbooks?

These are much more up-to-date and more closely match the wording and question distribution of the real MCAT.

The Cracking the MCAT CBT and MCAT Workout don't share any practice questions with each other, or with the 2002 books.

GChem Question

22. A molecule of 93Rb undergoes two beta decay cycles. What isotope is formed?

A. 95Br
B. 93Br
C. 95Y
D. 93Y

Hi Rebecca:
Is the answer 93Y? Thanks for asking a chem question!

GChem Question

22. A molecule of 93Rb undergoes two beta decay cycles. What isotope is formed?

A. 95Br
B. 93Br
C. 95Y
D. 93Y

Yes it is!

22. D
The reactions goes: 93/37 Rb--> 0/-1 B + 0/-1 B + 93/39 Y

(apologies about the formatting!)

Status
Not open for further replies.