Mcat worried help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hyupark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a senior majoring in microbiology. I took the MCAT twice and got 26S (9PS, 8V, 9BS) and 27R (9PS, 8V, 10BS).

I am retaking the MCAT on March 24, 2012.
I'm super worried. I really want a score above a 30.
I know my weak areas and am working at it right now. I am still going over the content and am stressed about when to start taking practice exams?

My weak areas are physics and gen chem. I've been solving problems but still seem to struggle a lot in this area. What else can I do?

I'm also worried that having taken the MCAT twice already is going to look really bad on my application.

Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you need to more closely consider why you're getting problems wrong. So you said one area of trouble is physics. Why? Which part? Are the passages confusing you or are you doing just as bad on the discrete questions? Even that could tell you a lot. If it's the passages, you need to work on your critical reading and ability to wade through their BS. If it's the discretes, then your content is weak and you need to pick that up.

Also, maybe you're missing most of your questions in a certain area, like kinematics. Find a weak area, but be more specific than "physics."

I would also worry about the verbal if I were you. It looks like you can probably hit a 10 on PS and Bio with practice, but you're pretty far off the 10 on verbal. Again you have to figure out what your unique problem is there. Do you glaze over on the tough passages and have no idea what you're reading? Sometimes the Kaplan or TPR strategies help with that. Or do you run into time issues and get screwed that way? Build speed.

I think you just need to look more in depth at how you take the test and your specific problems with it, because even if you shore up one or two areas you could get a LOT more points. Try taking a test, but don't take it for the score, take it to learn how YOU take the test and how YOU could take it better.

Hi,

I am a senior majoring in microbiology. I took the MCAT twice and got 26S (9PS, 8V, 9BS) and 27R (9PS, 8V, 10BS).

I am retaking the MCAT on March 24, 2012.
I'm super worried. I really want a score above a 30.
I know my weak areas and am working at it right now. I am still going over the content and am stressed about when to start taking practice exams?

My weak areas are physics and gen chem. I've been solving problems but still seem to struggle a lot in this area. What else can I do?

I'm also worried that having taken the MCAT twice already is going to look really bad on my application.

Any suggestions?

Taking it twice won't look bad as long as you do really well on your third one.