MCAT writing portion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olygt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen many postings on the writing section of the MCAT and wanted to know how everybody is preparing for that portion of the test. I heard the writing portion is a tie breaker with similar applicants.

Members don't see this ad.

nobody prepares for the writing section. Its a pretty straightforward section, alot of people screw themselves by getting off topic and being wordy. You would be better off spending your study time on verbal.

I got an M, but it was because I had a mild 'panic' attack and just stared at the clock ticking down. :scared::scared::scared:

I am SOOOOOOOO glad that I botched the WS and not something else!!! Nobody cared!! That said, if you are applying to a top-tier school, or you have 28-31, you don't really want an M.

Members don't see this ad :)
follow kaplans method and you cant do poorly. granted, you know how to write somewhat compentently in english.

nobody prepares for the writing section. Its a pretty straightforward section, alot of people screw themselves by getting off topic and being wordy. You would be better off spending your study time on verbal.

I prepared for it...and actually there is a specific way to do the MCAT writing. Me and my buddy who is a guy that got 'T' TWICE on the MCAT writing formulated a pretty cool strategy for attacking this section. If you guys are interested, I'll see if I can come up with something sometime next week after my midterms are over. Someone will have to PM me to remind me though (and send the link to this thread).

I have a 34M. People always said that portion isn't important so I never spent a minute studying for it. I believe it won't drag me down too much.

As long as you can write 3 paragraphs and follow exactly what they are asking with an example for certain things you are guaranteed to do at least ok. They really aren't looking for award winning essays. I treat it as more of a break. Kaplan has been good recommendations for it. The only time I have spent preparing for it was during that kaplan course. So, for about an hour.

^^^I did the exact thing Mosspoh said and got an "N", which isn't what I wanted. There is definitely something they're looking for and not just "following directions" as many proclaim. If you're content with an "M" or "N", then just follow directions.

RPedigo, if you're reading this...could you please post some tips/comments on how to prepare for writing section and how to do well on it. I see that you got a "T" on it...Thanks!

RPedigo, if you're reading this...could you please post some tips/comments on how to prepare for writing section and how to do well on it. I see that you got a "T" on it...Thanks!

Uh oh. Well, I can't be of much help here, since I didn't practice for it. Just structure your writing sample like this:

Paragraph 1: When the statement is true.
Paragraph 2: When the statement is false.
Paragraph 3: What criteria distinguish when the statement is true or false.

Being up to date on current events is good and all, but there's a good chance that if you're knowledgeable about general stuff, you can find an example that fits the bill. Both of my prompts required no current events knowledge, but there were obvious examples you could have used if you were reading the newspaper often. Good luck everyone :luck:

I have been studying for six months, and I haven't looked at a writting sample once. I haven't even read one of the questions to get an idea of what to expect, but hey I plan on spending exactly one day on it, and it will be probably be the 17th which is two days before my test.

Uh oh. Well, I can't be of much help here, since I didn't practice for it. Just structure your writing sample like this:

Being up to date on current events is good and all, but there's a good chance that if you're knowledgeable about general stuff, you can find an example that fits the bill. Both of my prompts required no current events knowledge, but there were obvious examples you could have used if you were reading the newspaper often. Good luck everyone :luck:

Dont think it matters whether you prepared for this section or not? Just looking for advice from people who "been-there-done-that" kind of thing :) I guess a T is a prime alphabet score, I envy you!! :p

if you have a good imagination you can probably just make up supporting examples off the top of your head that sound good.

^^^I did the exact thing Mosspoh said and got an "N", which isn't what I wanted. There is definitely something they're looking for and not just "following directions" as many proclaim. If you're content with an "M" or "N", then just follow directions.

I am perfectly content with it. I know I can write just fine. I've been published and have studied how to write in various styles for 2 different languages. If a med school REALLY wants that then I can send them a portfolio. :p

It's not just about following the directions, but they also look at grammar, spelling, and punctuation. If you have a hard time with punctuation and spelling, work on it. That will help boost your score. Writing is always my highest score, which really stinks since it doesn't account for much as far as admissions.

It's not just about following the directions, but they also look at grammar, spelling, and punctuation. If you have a hard time with punctuation and spelling, work on it. That will help boost your score. Writing is always my highest score, which really stinks since it doesn't account for much as far as admissions.

It's more than than grammar spelling and punctuation though. Logical progression, usage of facts and quotations to support your examples, and explanation of why those outside facts and quotes actually support your point are important techniques that are often neglected. Use of analogies may also be prudent to aid understanding of a problem or situation within a different context. Finally synthesis of two seemingly conflicted viewpoints in a clear, interesting and thoughtful way is where the real meat of grading is. A good synthesis is (IMHO) the most important part of the essay. If you do all of those things, possess a varied vocabulary, structure your essay well, construct your sentences well, and are mechanically proficient with English, you'll land in R,S or T territory.

I didn't study at all for writing and the first MCAT essay I wrote was at the real exam. They are testing if you can follow the directions and answer what is being asked more than anything else. I am a writing tutor at my school's writing center and only scored 'R' (fire me?) because with about 3 minutes left on the second essay, I realized I wasn't answering their prompt completely. I'm pretty sure I got full marks on the first essay and the second one brought my score down.

Anyways, your mantra going in should be: "Take the time to understand the instructions, and have the humility to follow them." You don't need a writing class for MCAT writing.