MCAT Writing Sample can Kiss my

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pboothe

The Limiting Reagent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Something is bothering me:

At my most recent interview, my interviewer told me that my writing sample score came up as an area of concern for them...I recieved an O......10 on the verbal........

Anyways, I am an avid reader, and I always like to think of myself as a good writer.. That day I didn't really care what I wrote down because my understanding was that it really didn't matter what your writing sample score was. Why would they really be concerned about that? Seriously?

Anyways, just wanted to rant. O really wasn't that bad was it?

Members don't see this ad.

What school was that???

Was your interviewer also concerned about the 10 on the verbal section? That seems like a pretty good score to me. That would suck if he put you on the defensive for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm, that's pretty unfounded imo. an o is right in the middle, i would think...and w/a double-digit verbal it doesn't make sense that they'd pick on this so much. maybe it was just a stress question designed to see how you think under pressure (or under baseless accusations that you might get as a doctor, for example.)

I also got an O. I think it can be explained pretty easily. Make sure you write a decent essay. If they ask you, refer them to the essay. Just tell them that you're a somewhat slower writer, and you need time to put out quality work. Timed writing assignments aren't your thing. I think that explains it pretty well.

Doctors have to write a lot, but it's not creative writing. It's just jotting down facts and making reports.

Wow, I wished the adcoms at the schools I applied to cared about my writing score, which apparently they dont.

I dont think its a big deal either way, maybe the interviewier was just trying to get under your skin.

At SLU, my interviewer was glancing through my file, she said:

"Oh, I liked your personal statement...but what happened to your Writing Sample score (I got an N, twice)?" Or something like that.

So it looks like some schools do notice that sort of thing. It didn't turn into a big deal or anything. I just said that I have a different writing style than what the MCAT people wanted and that was that.

The School Was Texas Tech

an O???O???what's up with that?

there is: J, K, L, M, N.....then an O...

I thought if you had an M or better you were fine.

Don't worry about I think schools give a rats a$$ about the writing sample. Look at me I got a M, but I'm still at UCLA and I'm an ORM, and I make spelling and grammar errors in everyone of my post.

Originally posted by pboothe
The School Was Texas Tech

You're ****ting me!!! I got am M and no one at Tech brought it up. I'm already in there on Early Decision. How was your personal statement? Who interviewed you (can PM that if you want)? I had one of the tougher interviewers and he liked my PS and the # score of my MCAT was good. Seriously, the only person who has ever brought up the M is ME! My brother had a 36K and had no issues either. People know the MCAT is not a reflection of overall writing ability.

I wouldn't worry about the WS too much, and anyone who brings up concerns about your score doesn't know what they're talking about. First, O is certainly not a bad score...it's right around the average. Second, the WS is a poor evaluation of anyone's writing skills...think about it...you stick a nervous, tired test-taker in a room and tell them to write an essay about some BS topic in 30 minutes...nobody really writes like that! The only purpose of the WS is to make sure you can write in English. An O certainly proves that you can.:)