MCAT Writing Sample - how important?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SunnyOne, Jun 19, 2001.

1. SunnyOne

SunnyOne Member

Hey Kids! Question: Does anybody know how much the writing sample score is considered? My combined scores are average but I got an S on the WS. My guess is that a good letter enhances good composite numbers, but won't really stand out alone. Any thoughts?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY

Attending Physician
    I had an 11v and a "Q" on my writing sample...and asked many different schools about the significance of the "letter" in the writing score...and as long as it isn't J or K.....they really ignore it...
    I though the essays I wrote sucked...but I got a "Q"....

Sadly the composite score (VS+PS+BS) is really the only things they look at...not once school cared about the letter..

SUCKS!!! I know.....

I am starting school next month....I am psyched...finally!!!

4. muonwhiz

muonwhiz Senior Member

No one cares about the writing sample as far as I am able to tell. If you do badly on it, the score can hurt you. But if you do well or really well on it, the score won't help you. This is what is known as a lose/lose situation for the test taker. You've just got to grin and bear it, but I wouldn't spend any time prepping for it.

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    SunnyOne.... Hey you're from Des Moines... which where I'm currently at right now.... cool!!!

Anyway, I'm just echoing the sentiments of the others.... as long as you didn't do bad, then your writing maybe something that the adcoms may not consider much....

Good luck.... Are you planning to apply to DMUCOM? :cool:

6. SunnyOne

SunnyOne Member

Hey Popoy - yeah, I'm applying to Des Moines, Kirksville, and Kansas City. Just got the AACOMAS application sent online yesterday. Why did you choose Des Moines?

7. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    For many reason, one being I really felt like I belonged at DMU.... Sounds corney, but I've always somehow listened to my guts!!! I know that I can do well in the atmosphere at DMU

This is aside from being second largest, second oldest, well established OMM curriculum, high pass rate in COMLEX, very welcoming staff and faculty.... They've welcomed me even to this point and I haven't even started school.... So many more reasons....

Good luck to you.... Are you seriously considering DMU? or would you rather move out of state?.... I just love it here.... so far :D

8. SunnyOne

SunnyOne Member

Popoy- I'm very interested in DMU. If you'd like to share information on DMU and other schools you were considering, go ahead and e-mail me. You must be new to Des Moines? I've lived here for 2 1/2 years and really enjoy it. It might not be the most exciting place to visit, but it's a great city in which to live!

9. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm most definitely new!!! Came originally from California!!! I'll be starting school at DMU this Aug and can't wait to start!!!

Thanks for the offer.... I've been getting a lot of comments from other people in the Osteopathic forum under "DMU-OMC Class of 2005"....

Good luck to you and hope you get accepted!!!

10. Popoy

Resident [Any Field]
    SunnyOne.... if you can give me a few suggestions regarding what to do in Des Moines.... feel free to share it with me and my fellow (future) classmates at our thread in the Osteopathic forum "DMU-OMC Class of 2005".... later

11. prolixless

prolixless Senior Member

The princeton review guy for my class said that the writing sample is sometimes used as a "tie-breaker" when two med school candidates appear academically and extracurricularly equal in all other ways. Of course, I can't confirm if this is true or not. If it is true, though, I would imagine it's rare to find two candidates who are identical in every way, and who would then be separated according to the writing sample score.