Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

MCAT Writing Sample: Need Help, Please!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by crazy4MD, Jun 18, 2001.

1. crazy4MD

crazy4MD Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi everyone,
    Well, I just got my april MCAT scores and they aren't very pretty, especially my Writing Sample score. I thought I didn pretty good on it, I guess not though. I'd like to know if anyone knows of the best way to prepare for the Writing part, including any books that may be helpful. thanks. :) :confused: :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. electra

electra SDN Moderator
    7+ Year Member

This is what I remember from the WS (and I scored "S" twice...

the writing sample is "system-based" essay.

When you get the topic, you need to write a brief intro, then use an agreement example, play devil's advocate, then agree again.

sooooo, i think one of our topics was "Speed of technology - too fast for its own good?"
    intro - what are you describing as technology...internet, computer, genetics, etc. ie, genetics.

agree..tech moves fast...communication, education, many new skills. ie, we are learning how many disease mechs work and how genes can be manipulated, even in the womb, to treat and prevent problems.

devils advocate...are we creating monsters? ie, now we can clone a sheep...is that where we want technology and genetics to come together?

if you have some sample topics from the MCAT office....write some sample essays..and be honest, time yourself...then show to a professor, and ask them to take a look at them.

I found that as soon as I understood the system, the writing became fairly easy. I did not think either of my essays were very good on the test, but the graders also know that you are working with a limited amount of time and info.

also, FYI...the advice of reading a daily newspaper will assist you in writing a better prepared essay. You will have many examples from the world to use in your paragraphs.

good luck!

4. LaRa CRoFt

LaRa CRoFt Member
    7+ Year Member

I would have told you to look into TPR's books because they prepared me well for the written part of the exam but electra summarized the plan for approaching the essays well. Just continue to practice this plan for all your practice essays. Write, write, write, and continue to write. Also, try to read about controversial topics and write about them i.e. pros and cons and your side on the topic. One last thing is to know the history of several past events or people really well that you could use them or incorporate them into any essay. Examples are Martin Luther King, World War, holocaust, etc. Hope this helps!

5. watto

watto Sleek White Pantsuit
    10+ Year Member

I just got my MCAT scores today, it was my second time around and second time with a big fat T on the writing sample.

I admit that I was a professional writer in a previous life, but the real reason I do well on these is that I don't submit what I think in my opinion is a stylistically perfect 5-paragraph essay, instead I take a pretty whacko, hysterical viewpoint and defend it with humor. It worked both times. For some reason, the graders like punchy material even if the content stinks. So I would suggest finding a few funny quotes that you think you will be able to weave into any essay and appear stylish even though in the real world your essay may be crap.

I think the graders are probably academics, and not paid writers.