MCAT Writing Samples Useless???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDgonnabe

your royal travesty
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone! :)

I've been hearing a lot of things about the MCAT writing samples (perhaps the ONLY section I was ever confident about :( ). Are they really virtually ignored by medical schools? Do some schools consider them more than others? It would worry me if they were ignored as much as most people tell me they are because how well a person writes is pretty indicative of how well they could communicate with future patients. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure it's not completely ignored.... As to how much it weighs into your consideration for an interview... I'm not sure either. There has to be some type of correlation between writing and communication.... :cool:

Does anyone know for sure? :D

When I took Kaplan (Summer 99), they said that CA med schools "increasingly are weighing WS scores" in the process. (That's why Kaplan added a special section of the course in writing for CA MCAT takers.) Whether it matters outside of CA, I do not know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks BeckyG for sharing that.... Seeeee, it's really not that insignificant.... I'm sure the writing sample is there for a purpose.... :D

According to my pre-med advisor, the writing sample can only hurt or help you significantly if you receive a score at the extreme ends. Average or middle scores are least likely to affect your application. Hope this helps.

I think Isa may be right.

All the people I've ever talked to (Dean of admissions, for e.g.) have come right out and said the writing sample is widely ignored.

-kris

For example, last summer I spoke with the head of admissions at Jefferson (if not the head, a very high up) and she flat out said that they do not factor in the writing sample when the look at applicants (much to the chagrin of certain test makers)

Don't know whats up now though, and that is only at one place.

OK - IF:

1) The majority of the schools do not look at the writing sample
2) It can only hurt (but rarely help) your application if they DO look at it
3) It converts the grading of the MCAT from a quick "feed-in-the-test" style to an agonizing two month wait
4) It is largely subjectively-graded
5) Med schools will see our writing capabilities first-hand via the essay and secondaries

WHY THE HELL IS IT ON THE MCAT????

Originally posted by rxfudd:
•OK - IF:

1) The majority of the schools do not look at the writing sample
2) It can only hurt (but rarely help) your application if they DO look at it
3) It converts the grading of the MCAT from a quick "feed-in-the-test" style to an agonizing two month wait
4) It is largely subjectively-graded
5) Med schools will see our writing capabilities first-hand via the essay and secondaries

WHY THE HELL IS IT ON THE MCAT????•

You don't know what "MCAT" stands for?: the Masochists' Cramming Aptitude Test. :D

In my MCAT class, they have been stressing to us that a strong writing sample score will help you out if you receive a not so strong verbal score. It is just a method to prove that you can write and communicate effectively, so if you are weak in the verbal section, you should strive to do well on the writing samples. Good luck!

I can only think of one other reason why it exists. Perhaps the writing sample can be used to compare with the personal statement and secondary essays. To see if they both came from the same person ;).

Seriously, I wish it counted for something. Maybe an S or above can count for two more points to your score ;).

Originally posted by Jamier2:
•This is pretty sad since I poured my heart, my very heart, into those stupid essays. :)

That is sad, you pathetic sap.

;) kris

BTW how's finals?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no way of knowing if the personal statement on the applicatiion was even written by the applicant. There are some web sites that sell personal statements! There are students who have, or pay, others to write it and pass it off as their own. Some just copy (slightly modified) statements written by applicants in former years. Just as frats and sororities collect exams, some premedical clubs collect personal statements written by former members.

On the applications a personal statement can be revised and revised and polished, checked for grammatical and spelling errors (not just by a computer spell check), run past an English professor. Any applicant who doesn't do that is stupid.

On the MCAT the there is not enough time to do that. Writing skill is seen in the raw.

There IS a varied response by medical schools. Some take it seriously, some just scan it, others ignore it. When you take the test, it is foolish to not take it seriously.

It appears on the MCAT not just by a whim of the test constructors: it was asked for by the medical schools. In fact, everything on the MCAT was asked for by the medical schools. The test constructors are providing a service, not determining what appears.

in my case, i think my good ws score helped balance an otherwise mediocre mcat performance. in an interview at a highly ranked school (insert any top ten school name here), both interviewers commended me on my high writing score and both used it as a segue to discuss my otherwise not-so-stellar mcat performance. in one, we ended up talking about the importance of writing in general. like others have said, i think the ws score can help or hurt you when it's at one or the other extreme, esp if it presents some departure from the rest of your mcat performance. in my opinion, it's worth the little bit of practice and innovation required to get the s or t, particularly if you feel you're a good writer and the effort is minimal. at the same time, i would have traded it for 12's across the board. good luck!

Originally posted by kris:
•BTW how's finals?•

I've had my grades for over a month now.

Finals? What are those? Sadly, I'll remember come December. I did end up with one B, but it was in Histo, so I didn't mind so bad.

Later.

•I've had my grades for over a month now.

Finals? What are those? Sadly, I'll remember come December. I did end up with one B, but it was in Histo, so I didn't mind so bad.

Later.•

Oh. For some reason I got the impression you were also headed for finals week. I wonder where I got that from. I also wondered what the heck you were still doing in school since so few out there are on a quarter system.
Sounds like you did pretty well overall!

--kris

•Since I didn't ask earlier, how are yours? Hope you did well, assuming you will or just did take them. :)

Just finished, and I beat the curve.

In other more embarassing news, as if I need to share this with the world, I obviously never figured out what the chatroom was threatening me with. I felt like I was about to be assimilated by the Borg, and my identity was going to be changed. "You have 40 seconds to comply."

Comply with what?! It just kept threatening me. Somehow I must've missed the first, more informative message. Then I tried to enter my password for SDN, but it didn't work. I couldn't figure out whether I mistyped it or whether that's not what it was asking me for.

No, I must confess, I've never been to any chat room before, so I really didn't know what to expect. Strange half-sentences streaming by, a list of those visiting, and threats to my very identity. Wow. What an experience.

Maybe I'll try to go figure it out now, while I'm not interrupting anything.

I'll be in a room by myself. Now that sounds comforting after last night's experience. :)

I might see you guys next week--but we're moving on Thursday, so Wednesday might be kind of hectic!

I'll send you some more info later in your personal mail. Gotta walk the dogs.
--kris

Well I just got my scores back, and my writing sample was an "N". My GPA is good and the other scores were very good. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this will really hurt me or not.

Originally posted by punkin2:
•Well I just got my scores back, and my writing sample was an "N". My GPA is good and the other scores were very good. Does anyone have an opinion on whether this will really hurt me or not.•

I got one lower than you, an "M". I am so let down with that score, but they say the writing sample isn't considered much if the other scores are good. All my others are 10 or above, so I hope I'm ok.

just out of curiosity,

What is the lowest Writing score?

I was disappointed with my writing score as well. It sort of ruined a great MCAT (11-VR, 13-PS, 12-BS, and M-writing). I have a 4.0 as a chemistry major at a top 50 school. Do you think a low writing score will hurt me at all? BTW, J is the lowest score and M is at about the 25th percentile.

Shut up, Kafka, just shut up and ride your great scores right into med school. I am jealous. ;) I feel that my mediocre scores show that I didn't prep enough. So now I have to retake in Aug, & may be another year back due to rolling admissions processes. I'm bummed. Kafka, I seriously doubt you have anything to worry about.

yeah, kafka, post-mcat threads are for those who have real doubts and need advice. with a 4.0 as a chem major and a 36, you are set. screw the writing sample, after those numbers it won't matter.

Have faith fellow scribblers, my lowly essay score "L" got me into my top 25 school.
11v 9b 10p Lw

Did they ever bring up your low score during interviews?

Hi all:

Ugh I remember this from last year. I had been working as a managing editor, doing lots of health writing, and I got slammed on the writing sample. How embarrassing :rolleyes: didn't want to tell my employers about that!

If it's any consolation, it never came up as a point of contention in interviews. In fact one of my interviewers asked me about my MCAT (i.e. how I thought I did), and when I mentioned the writing score he basically said bah nobody cares about the writing score. I think the only time it might start to hurt is if you also have a low verbal score.

Congrats to all,
Kimya

From what I've been told, genrally, the writing sample does not matter that much as long as you have an O or above (50th percentile). However, even with lower scores, as long as you can explain it if asked and can prove that you can write/communicate well at other points in the application process, medical schools won't worry too much about your WS scores. Hope this helps.

Tony

One more thing for those of you who have high Writing Sample scores. A student told me he overheard the director of admissions at NU state that they look at primarily the VR scores and writing sample scores because NU emphasizes copious notes in patient histories. Completely second hand information and I have no idea whether it is true, so do what you will with this piece of information.

Tony