MCAT Writing Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ehwic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi was just wondering, how important is the writing section for med school? I take my exam soon, and I havent really practiced my writing considering I have no official grader to do so.

Anyone got any tips in terms of how they prepared for the writing section?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't do well on it my first time because I never practice for it and couldn't think of any examples, but I'm getting more confident now that I have a few solid ones..

Theres some lists of examples on here in other threads, but I really like having general philosophy ones to mix in every prompt.. ex- immanuel kant (morality), john rawls (veil of ignorance) , jeremy bentham (utilitarianism)

they give a good background to determine (synthesis) when your examples apply. theres a really good lecture series from harvard on iTunes U called Justice. if you have time id check that out, or just get summaries from the justice web site.

i pull all my specific examples from things i can write a lot about like favorite tv shows (Game of Thrones, Lost) or books.