1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by rstev, Sep 28, 2000.

1. How Much will an outstanding MCAT help a Less than great application (GPA, etal.)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. nmehta211

nmehta211 Member
    10+ Year Member

It will improve your application by exactly 22.2%. Seriously though, I don't think anyone on this board is going to be able to help you determine how much it is going to improve your application. It certainly won't hurt it, and you have nothing to lose (except application costs) in trying to apply. In the meantime, try to improve the other weaker parts, whatever they may be. Best of luck with all.

4. The_Sherminator

The_Sherminator Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I found the best way to offset low scores was to bombard admissions committees with ludicrous amounts of volunteer work. Basically when the time came for my interview, and the admissions committee had 4 pages of medical experience sitting in front of them, the 2.63 gpa and straight 7's on the MCAT didn't seem to matter. However...I was on numerous international humanitarian activities with organizations like the World Health Organization, the Peace Core, etc. etc. Basically, if you don't like the academics of it all, but love actual medicine and helping people for real...then do this sort of work. These people who say "Geez, thats an awful lot of work just to get in..." well, they shouldn't be in med-school anyway. I'll tell you what, I've seen more people's lives just ruined because they chose medicine for a comfortable living and instead found that the glamor of E.R. was soon replaced with the reality of being around sick, unhappy, sometimes dying people, and that the Mercedes they drive really isn't the compensation they figured it would be when the hospital is ringing them at 4:15am to attend to some drunken/o.d.'ed junkie who's been shot in a drug deal gone bad. Seriously, I see it way too much, you people all worried about grades and getting in...when you don't have the slightest clue of what you're actually GETTING IN TO! If you're uninterested in medicine now, and just interested in the grades to get in, what kind of doctor are you really ever going to be? You'll turn it on to get a reward, such as getting in or passing boards, but you're going to realize in 4 years that this was the most expensive (approximately $180000+interest) ego trip you've ever taken. Do work...find out you love it or hate it. Trust me...you'll never thank yourself enough. If you find its everything you wanted, then great, you'll get in, stop worrying. If you find out it sucks, then it only cost you a few years and some volunteered time, which doesn't accrue at 8%. Good Luck.

5. jdm

jdm Member
    10+ Year Member

March on Sherm!!! the whole process is absurd and those dreams of helping people very rapidly become dreams of getting in... it's no way to run a civilization...

6. jcollings

jcollings Member
    10+ Year Member

"you people all worried about grades and getting in...when you don't have the
    slightest clue of what you're actually GETTING IN TO! If you're uninterested in medicine
    now, and just interested in the grades to get in, what kind of doctor are you really ever
    going to be? You'll turn it on to get a reward, such as getting in or passing boards, but
    you're going to realize in 4 years that this was the most expensive (approximately
    $180000+interest) ego trip you've ever taken."

I love it when I am included in such generalizations! How about the rest of "you people?" Get off the soap box!! The volunteer work doesn't necessarily make anyone a saint; therefore, it doesn't give you the right to judge any of the rest of our motives.

7. Thebeyonder

Thebeyonder Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sherm,
    First of all do not attack other people's
    desire to aspire to do well academically,
    when it is obviously clear you have not done
    well. Instead of being in denial and
    projecting your anger onto a universal foe,
    i.e. anyone in the medical application
    process. Why not do some introspection?
    Your grades and MCAT scores are sufficiently
    sub par. The fact that you are associated
    with health organizations to hide your
    academic defeciencies seems to illustrate
    a lack of conscious thought and a real
    lack of reality. To gain admittance into
    school it is necessary to gain information
    in an academic setting. Good grades
    demonstrates a desire to work hard and to
    sacrifice time for a goal.

------------------
    tb

8. The_Sherminator

The_Sherminator Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

OK, I may have been a little misinterpreted...academics ARE important...however...I think that most people would agree that the reason its so difficult to get into medical school is not because there are just SO MANY altruistic and academically GIFTED individuals out there that schools need some way to sort them out. Hmmm...True academics are important...should you be rewarded for hard work in the classroom? Sure...I guess. Does it mean that every straight A student in undergrad deserves to be a doctor? Hell NO!! I'm merely stating that the commitment JOEMEDSTUDENT makes is going to be a very costly involved one...you know...one that deserves a little more thought than the usual..."Do DO's make as much $$$ as MD's????" posts. Those people may succeed at gaining initials, but they are gonna pay with the misery that usually accompanies doctors at some point in their education/career.

9. Thebeyonder

Thebeyonder Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Point well taken.

------------------
    tb