1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

MCAT

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Premed315U, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just took my first full length practice. (yuck). I did PR Diagnostic 483. I got a 28. I used the scoring range listed in the Columbia Review MCAT book that I bought at the store (is this accurate?)

I'm wondering if PR Diagnostic 483 is considered equal to, harder, or easier than the real thing? How do the topics tested and type of questions compare to the real thing? I'm shooting for a 33-34ish. Do you think I have a good shot at raising my score 5 points through studying and lots more practice tests?

Thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Whether it's harder or easier, it's not reliable. Use AAMC practice tests to gauge your readiness for the real thing and I recommend you stick to III, IV and V.

4. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

5. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Premed - I believe that if you put in the effort, you can get the score that you are after. I never took at PR diagnostic, but I did a 1/2 length kaplan diag. and was able to improve my score 10 pts. from that (I hadn't finished O Chem or Physics when I took it though, went from a 27 of the diag. to a 37 on the real thing, I was shooting for a 35) I would say that if you are starting off with a 28 (take an AAMC practice test too, like the others said, it is more like the "real thing") a mid-thirties score is realistic to shoot for. Good luck!

6. YBee

YBee Member
    7+ Year Member

a 28 for your very first practice test is amazing! You will prob. get high 30's. Really.

My first diagnostic (w/Kaplan so it is only 1/2 length) was a 21 - final score? 37. and you have twice as much time. You are golden.

:)

7. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

YBee,

Thank you so much for your very encouraging message. How much did you study for the MCAT? A 37 is amazing, and I hope that I can get such a great score. Do you have any good tips?

Thank you

8. Jessica

Jessica Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

9. Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member

Hi Premed,
    I have started studying for my April MCAT too. I thought we could be online study buddies. :) :)

Whaddya say?
    Tweetie

10. brandonite

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

11. YBee

YBee Member
    7+ Year Member

I took a Kaplan Prep course - started studying in June for August MCAT. I went to all the Kaplan classes - not a great help, but it was good to have all the info run past me. Then I read all the Kaplan materials (bio book, physics book and chem books plus in class guide at least 2 or 3 times.

I also took 8 practice exams - 5 kaplan (which are harder than amcas) and Amcas III, IV and V. Kaplan also has a number of subject exams which I took 1 or 2x each.

I also reread a large part of my physics textbook b/c Kaplan did a really bad job of explaining a lot of things, and part of my bio b/c it had been five years since I took bio so I was rusty on mitosis/meiosis/genetics etc.

The kaplan physics tests in many instances are much harder than the actual - the mcat I took in august did not require the memorization of any equations, other than V=IR and c=freq.* wavelength. I was a little bitter after having memorized 100+ equations. :)

the main thing is - you have to know the science - if you know the science you will kick butt on those sections.

as for the verbal, w/a 28 you prob. already read quickly, which is the most important thing. After that, all you need to know is: if faced with two possible answers, which is more likely to be right. Answer: the one that has the less extreme answer choice. Once you can do that in practice, you won't go wrong.
    Good luck!

12. KyGrlDr2B

7+ Year Member

I took the PR and took diagnostic tests 480-485. You cannot go by what another company's book says is the scale--they are all diff. For example, I believe TPR goes by how previous classes did on the test as how to gauge the score (remember, the mcat is scaled). I can help you out sorta though. Missing about 10 or less will give you a 9/10 or greater verbal and missing a little less than half on the sciences will give you an 8 (i think its somthing like miss 30 get an 8). Those were *usually* the stats on our tests. Hope it helps :D .

13. The Falconer

The Falconer Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with all of the above posters overall. I do think taking the after market practice tests can help though. Keep in mind that more than likely you will get lower scores on those than on the AAMCs, or the real thing. I've been told its so you have that shock value of "Wow, that course worked for me". I'd have to agree with Jessica in the studying category...be faithful and take a course if ya can..she took one and did REALLY well. I didn't and did only slightly better than average. I just wasn't disciplined enough in my studying and she was. We both have approximately the same GPAs and go to the same undergrad so you decide. She is smarter than I though-I think. Do those practice tests and study so you get a great score and don't stress about will you get in, you'll be able to stress about where will you accept at! Just my opinion.