MCAT28 VR6, any chance for MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htcstd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
original post deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you been doing better on the Verbal during your practice tests?

You have a lot of time to attempt to improve then retake. Especially if you've already been getting better than 6's on your practice tests.

You have a whole year ahead of you. Be diligent about this and improve your verbal. I took my test 4 times. I went from a 4 to a 10. It's possible to improve.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest trying the MCAT again. Maybe try some of the other companies materials. Don't do EK 101 verbal over again, it won't help..

The 6 hurts you a lot more than say a balanced 28 would (9,9,10, or 8,9,11), and a 28 is very borderline to begin with...VR 6 will get you screened out at lots of schools. Anything below 8 in any section score is a problem. Frankly, a balanced 27 (9,9,9) is arguably better than your 28.

Since you are not applying until next year, I think you should double up on your prep and retake - maybe January? - because your MCAT is hurting your chances greatly.

You obviously know your stuff in the sciences- my advice is to read/converse with english as much as possible- VR is really one of the topics you just cant "study" for like PS or BS- you either get it or you dont. Take as much practice and do as much critical reading as you can. You have every piece to the numbers puzzle in place, just retake and get the VR up and youll be fine.

Also, ya, the VR6 is gonna get you screened at a lot of schools, even though your MCAT isnt bad.

A retake is a no-brainer. Practice reading and speaking English as much as possible, and you'll be okay. Even a 7 on the verbal will be a significant improvement.

Original post deleted

Last edited:
Yea, I took full length verbal twice a week and analysed for reasons I got wrong. I did most of the test on paper and underline/circle while reading. (EK VR score ranges from 6-9 and aamc from 5-8). I guess I should have practised them on a computer (eg. Kaplan VR-bank?).

Do not treat the VR section like the science sections. Specifics within a verbal passage are usually there to confuse science majors, who habitually underline, circle, or otherwise make an idol of hard data. Concentrate on improving your conceptual understanding of the passages; remember this is a verbal reasoning section!

Good luck.