MCATs 3rd time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pinkya10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why does taking the MCAT 3 times look bad? Is it such a bad thing to take the mcat 3 times?

Members don't see this ad.

Why does taking the MCAT 3 times look bad? Is it such a bad thing to take the mcat 3 times?
I'm pretty sure there are a couple threads dealing with this topic, but in short:
There are many standardized exams medical students must take throughout their graduate education. Taking the MCAT three times (depending on context - ie. low 30s to get high 30s low 40s or more balanced score - some people do this) may reflect on your difficulty taking standardize exams.

You will not become of a physician if you can not perform well on exams (pass). While there is no "pass/fail" on the MCAT, medical schools need to use an indicator - the MCAT - to determine your ability to pass the necessary exams. Hope that helps, good luck.

I'm taking the test for the third time. The first two times, I don't know what I was thinking. I was a complete fool...I remember I wasn't nearly as prepared as I am know.

But don't give up hope, if you show increases and a nice trend, I think it would be alright. Ofcourse in an interview, they will ask why it took three times, and then you would answer with the truth.

Keep trying. The world is full of people who failed, tried, and failed again. I know you can do it :)