MCAT's and full time work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUBDUBB

Freakaholic
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was offered a basic research position with a professor at a top 5 med school. But I'm also taking my MCAT's for the first time in August. I declined the job with the rationale that, if I work full time doing hardcore research it will take away from my MCAT study time. My GPA is average so I need to do really well on the MCAT. I figured that if I bombed the exam, I would have to retake in April, and I would still be stuck with this professor in the same sh**hole of a city.

I also think that I need clinical experience, not doing pcr blotting and so forth. I don't think it's really going to make a difference if I start doing research on rats NOW or start in August. I have no clinicals, although I do have a summer of research. So my new plan: finish up my prereqs this semester, hack out the august mcats, go back to my hometown and start doing clinicals with two clinical physicians :)

I am crazy for not taking the job and passing up a reccomendation from a basic science prof at a top school?

Thanks ~ Lubdubb

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you're crazy, b/c it sounds like you plan on doing what you really want to do. I worked full-time while studying for the Aug MCAT and it made it difficult b/c I usu. had to work on Sat. so I couldn't do the practice tests.

More importantly, it sounds like research just isn't what interests you, so why do it? If you like clinical stuff more, you'll probably be more passionate about it, and get a great recommendation from that.

Good luck with the MCAT.

I guess it just depends on what you think you can do. I worked 45 hrs a week, was taking molecular biology, and the prep class to study for my mcat. oh, and volunteering. it SUCKED. i had 14-16hr days 2-3 times a week and I had little life because when I did, I was tired. but I had no other choice, and so I did it.

the decision is already made, so it is not something to look back at, but only move forward from. however, med school is going to be rough, and I think doing all that really prepared me to organize myself come next year. I realize some people are bad test takers, but time wise, get ready for school. it can/will be just as rough from what I have observed of my friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best decision you ever made. Especially if you want Georgetown, they are big on numbers.

I tried working the first time around and found it impossible to devote the time I needed to studying. I have three other friends who took it once while wokring and we all ended up taking it a second time around but this time taking a leave of absence from work to study. We are all in now.

Don't doubt it for a second. Lab jobs are a dime a dozen. I work at Harvard Hosps. They are plentiful.

Depends on what you want to do and where you are applying. If you want to do mainly research and are applying to research focused schools, this rec and experience will help you.

Of course, almost all schools need you to show SOME kind of clinical exp., so if you have none at all, then you do need to get something.

You can do the mcat and work at the same time. Just work it into your schedule to take off at least 2 weeks (preferably 2.5-3) prior to the test date to stay at home, review, and relax, esp. if you are taking a prep course. Good luck!

I worked last summer before I took the MCAT. I had to cut my hours down to about 20/wk tho. Even that was pretty distracting, mostly because I was taking a prep course and it really started to interfere with studying. It seemed anytime I would get motivated to study, I would have to work. There were only 2 of us in my course that were working and taking the prep course. I think you made the right call. If you can afford to not work, then don't. You'll need every advantage you can. I actually burned out and quit studying until a 1 1/2 weeks before the test and I took that time off of work so it was easier, but I was pulling 13 hr days studying towards the last few days. so it can be done, but just do want ever is gonna help you study best because the last i heard the MCAT scores were fairly important, but I could be wrong.

It's possible to do. Just make sure that you study at least 5-6 hrs a day (after work), and study non stop on weekends (10-12 hrs/day). Furthermore, for the last two weeks or so before the test, I suggest that you try to get time off from your job; trust me, you don't want to be distracted by anything else at that point in you test prep.

Well I did full-time research when I was prepping for the April 2002 MCAT. I worked about 50 hours/wk and then in the evenings I had a TPR course. On top of that I would study any chance I could get often going till 1:00 to 2:00 in the morning. It was a rough schedule but if you committ to it, it is possible. You need to set a schedule for yourself and stick to it. All it takes is some discipline and determination for only 3 months.

Just prior to the test I only took off the Friday before simply b/c I did not want to disrupt the rhythm I had been keepin for the past 3 months. I did fine and currently hold an acceptance and have been offered 7 seven interviews.

It would be best to do whatever it takes to make you the most competitive applicant. I think it would have been great to do both. If you could wait an extra year and take the MCAT either this August or next April (and have more time do well on the MCAT), then you could do both. I guess it depends more on your time frame and the schools you're aiming for.

I think your decision sounds perfectly reasonable... but I think you are the only one who knows what will work best for you. Some people study best when they are on a disciplined, tight schedule, whereas others find it difficult to commit themselves to a schedule like that, or they burn out from the hecticness.

Last summer I worked about 45 hours/week while taking a TPR course. I think the tight schedule helped me keep my studying disciplined, but I just could not keep it up -- one week before the August MCAT, although my prep was going really well, I decided that I just could not make it through one more week. So I forgot about the MCAT until mid-March. Because I had studied so hard over the summer, I only had to do some light reviewing for a few weeks before the April test. Everything worked out, I did well, but I think it just goes to show that only you know what type of time you need for studying/working/relaxing -- and even if you don't know, things can still work out well.

I worked full-time when I took the MCAT. I found it ideal b/c I was a programmer, and it was great to come home and think about things that are alive. I did well on the test, and I think I would have done much worse had I been in school, b/c I would have been burnt out from studying other things as well. I also started studying around Christmas so that my schedule didn't have to be so intense. I agree with what other people have said--you have to make the decision for yourself. I tend to perform better when I have a lot to do b/c it forces me to manage my time better.

Sometimes work, paradoxcially, for me helps keep me focused and on track - i know that I couldn't have just had MCAT studying to do all summer before the mcat, i wouldn't have been able to focus

Call me wonder woman but I too am overbooked while studying for this april's mcat.
I work full time, going to grad school full time (proud to say that I gotz me a 4.0 too), and taking a prep course for the mcat.

It's all about scheduling and motivation I guess. I wake up at 5am now to study for almost 3hours before heading to work. When I get home I study for class work. Weekends are also for mcats.

The morning schedule is fine because really 3-4hrs a day for mcat studying is enough...if you are disciplined and make the most of your time.

Originally posted by BushBaby
Call me wonder woman

Okay--DAMN! You ARE a wonder woman! :clap: I am so impressed with your self-discipline. You will make a great doctor.

yeah, I'll chime in. I too worked ~50 hours a week, took a full grad course load and studied for the april test and did plenty well. Its doable, tough, but doable. Lets just say that was the first time in my young life I couldnt tell you who was in the Final Four (ahh, the pains of being a nontraditional applicant :) ).

The nice thing about having a research job during the process was that there was/is considerable "downtime" between experiments and such. So, I'd start some pcr rxns, write some stuff in my lab book, and pull out some flashcards and go over physics equations or hormones or something until I had to get my stuff out of the thermocycler ~2hrs later. A little multitasking never hurts :cool:

So I was offered a basic research position with a professor at a top 5 med school. But I'm also taking my MCAT's for the first time in August. I declined the job with the rationale that, if I work full time doing hardcore research it will take away from my MCAT study time. My GPA is average so I need to do really well on the MCAT. I figured that if I bombed the exam, I would have to retake in April, and I would still be stuck with this professor in the same sh**hole of a city.

I also think that I need clinical experience, not doing pcr blotting and so forth. I don't think it's really going to make a difference if I start doing research on rats NOW or start in August. I have no clinicals, although I do have a summer of research. So my new plan: finish up my prereqs this semester, hack out the august mcats, go back to my hometown and start doing clinicals with two clinical physicians :)

I am crazy for not taking the job and passing up a reccomendation from a basic science prof at a top school?

Though, I'm new. I believe, it will be a tough decision. Yes, you should devote your time preparing for the MCAT's in August, however, this professor could possibly could give you a great rec. when applying for medical school if you left a great impression on him/her. Could you perhaps consult with the professor, explain your situation and hopefully can be brought on after the MCAT's?

Don't take my word for it. I'm only a SOPHOMORE and preparing for the April 2004 MCAT's. However, I wish you the best of luck.

It's too late for you, but for those who will be working full-time and prepping for the MCAT: you have to know your study habits. If you're a lazy student (procrastinate, takes you a long time to settle into studying, etc.) then this is not the option for you. If you are diligent & can remove all distractions, then you should be o.k. Be prepared to simply go to work & come home to study. No going out! I did this last April, but I know I would done better without working. Sometimes one can't afford to not work. Good Luck everyone!

Originally posted by VienneseWaltz
Okay--DAMN! You ARE a wonder woman! :clap: I am so impressed with your self-discipline. You will make a great doctor.

:laugh: :laugh: well I am just hoping that I can maintain this wonder woman stamina of mine until April.

Lucky for me I am one of those people who thrive under pressure. For some reason the more my work load is, the more efficient I am. If I had nothing to do (no work or school)...man I would hardly open that mcat book. I would just end up procastinating.:rolleyes:

Hey, I'm a lazy student and I could manage it :) .
I was working full-time+, and i found it helpful to take a prep course. It forced me to attend class instead of working late, and study the requisite material even though I was tired. You will have very little free time, and you will feel guilty if you don't spend every minute studying, but it can be done. I would also suggest taking some time off before the test, and spending a few of those days NOT studying. By this point you will be burnt out, so a few days unwinding can work wonders.

As for getting up early - ughh. I'd rather stay up all night.

Originally posted by BushBaby
:laugh: :laugh: well I am just hoping that I can maintain this wonder woman stamina of mine until April.

Lucky for me I am one of those people who thrive under pressure. For some reason the more my work load is, the more efficient I am. If I had nothing to do (no work or school)...man I would hardly open that mcat book. I would just end up procastinating.:rolleyes:

I am the same way. Give yourself a break closer to the test, though. If you are studying 3 hours/day every day, you will be more than prepared enough to take it easy the week before. You will probably want to review enough to keep the material fresh in your mind, but as for hard-core studying, if you don't know it by then, you won't know it before Saturday, so just get plenty of sleep. Good luck, everyone!

i think you did the right thing.

i took the mcat in april and at the time i was an undergrad taking 23 units, working about 30 hours a week. not to mention april was always a time for midterms and i only had a couple of days to study for the mcat. unfortunately not being able to work was not an option unless i wanted to live in the streets.

but again dont worry if you didnt study as much as you wanted because that doesnt necessarily mean you will do bad on the mcat. just take a nice relaxed approach on the day you are taking the test and you wont make stressed mistakes. with only the few days i had to study i still got 30+.

but good luck ;)

Originally posted by srmonkey

As for getting up early - ughh. I'd rather stay up all night.

I used to think this way but if I didn't have to study for school work at night, then I would just do my mcat studying at night instead. But unfortunately we only have 24hr days and I must fit 5-6hrs of sleep in there somehow.

I also found that forcing myself to stay up late to study was very counter productive. My brain was soo tired with work, school and just daly stress that I really didn't take in/absorb any of the material that I read. But when I wake up at 5am, I know it's early, but my brain is fresh. I also do like 30mins yoga dvd just to get the body on cruise control. Then I go knock'em dead. This is good practice because on mcat day I have to wake up at around 5am anyway...

Viennes,

I plan to stop studying a week before the mcat...so hopefully I can chill and destress that week. I will also take the friday before off from work and excommunicate myself from all peeps a.k.a. turn cell phone off.