MCATs that suck... who's most likely reapplying next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

olemissbabydoc

Baby Doctor
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm probably retaking in April and reapplying next year, unless I get waitlisted or an interview at my state school and they want me to try for a better January score...

Members don't see this ad.

i am. 24S. 8's across the board. wtf. i scored what i got on my DIAGNOSTIC! wtf!

retaking again in April...I got creamed by PS which has always been my best score on the practice tests. WTF???

yep im retaking again, this will be my third time taking it, 23M May07 24P Aug07, all summer and i only improved 1 point! thats just bs! so i go no choice, but to take a review course.

Kaplan or TPR course, what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll probably retake it too... :scared: I'm so sad.
Sigh.
I was scoring 32's on my last three practice tests. ><

Me, I seriously don't feel like the August 14th exam reflected my potential. I don't know what went wrong. It seems either you got a real high score or a real low score.

yep im retaking again, this will be my third time taking it, 23M May07 24P Aug07, all summer and i only improved 1 point! thats just bs! so i go no choice, but to take a review course.

Kaplan or TPR course, what do you guys think?

Strangely enough, we're in a very similar situation. 22Q the first time, 21Q the second (but +1 in PS, which was the weak part of my first score so I have a 23 overall for my state school which takes the highest of them all).
Trying to decide if I want a review, but probably not.. I took it in april with 1 of the 8 prereqs, aug i had two (both inorganics) and physio. By April, I'll have Phys I & II, Orgo I and part of II, Bio & Micro... so that'll be most of my review.

Trying to decide if I want a review, but probably not.. I took it in april with 1 of the 8 prereqs, aug i had two (both inorganics) and physio. By April, I'll have Phys I & II, Orgo I and part of II, Bio & Micro... so that'll be most of my review.

I think taking physio last year helped me a lot. As for Orgo, I really don't think you need it, the review they provide in the Kaplan or TPR books is more then enough. It had been more then 2 years since I had physics or gen chem, but still I was getting 10s or 11s on the PS section. On the real one I just got creamed by the gen chem (mine was like 70% chemistry) I think. The TPR book was more then enough though to learn physics for me, but I still was shakey with Chemistry. I believe my problem is I'm a bad test taker, I don't know how I will be able to improve. sigh!!

I am applying to LSU and I am wondering if i should retake.

GPA 3.9
SGPA 4.0

MCAT
VR 7 did not finish reading last passage
ps 10
BS 8
25P

LSU avg is 8.6 MCAT and 3.6 GPA

What should I do? Please help!

I didn't even bother applying this year since I took the August MCAT, and didn't want to make the anxiety about it all worse by studying and applications at the same time. I'm probably going to retake the MCAT next year and apply.

I applied, because my state school is fairly lenient on mcats and my first score from April possibly granted me an interview.

I've heard orgo doesnt help that much, but surely physics may... I hope!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying to LSU and I am wondering if i should retake.

GPA 3.9
SGPA 4.0

MCAT
VR 7 did not finish reading last passage
ps 10
BS 8
25P

LSU avg is 8.6 MCAT and 3.6 GPA

What should I do? Please help!

your stats seem about avg for LSU... go ahead and apply if you can this year. The GPA may make up for it. (If you dont get an interview, retake in April and apply early next year)

I will be retaking. I took the MCAT in 2004 without having physics or organic chem and most bio classes. I graduated in 2005 with a b.s. in bio. I took the test Aug 14 and did terrible...actually the same in PS (I still haven't had physics - I'm in it now) and actually lower in BS. I raised my verbal and writing by a couple of points/letters. I already applied this year because I am a nontraditional student, but I am definitely retaking in January and probably reapplying next year.

Just remember though, there might be hope...MCAT isn't really everything! My brother-in-law had such strong EC's, LOR's, and GPA that he was recruited in and didn't even have to take it. Students obsess too much over it (don't worry, I'm one who worries). Good luck to you all with the retake.

22-R
MCAT Score:
VR 8, PS 6, BS 8, R
BCPM GPA: 3.83
Overall GPA: 3.61

im definitely going to need to retake it. I am being pushed by some family members to go ahead and apply to a handful of osteo schools though--just to see if i will get in. but on the other hand...i know i have lots of room for improvement and if i score well enough next time around ill have my pick amongst the osteo schools and maybe even open up the door to shoot for some MD schools as well.
I am looking for a MCAT course in my area...anybody know any good sites?

I haven't been to any of the courses, but I just spent a fortune on Exam Krackers materials...the whole shibang! Hopefully that will help me.

i am. 24S. 8's across the board. wtf. i scored what i got on my DIAGNOSTIC! wtf!

I'm not sure I understand you... most people score exactly what they get on their diagnostics. Why are you surprised?

Diagnostics are supposed to be indicative of your score on test day.

by diagnostic he means the very first test he ever took- even before he started studying!

by diagnostic he means the very first test he ever took- even before he started studying!

ding ding ding! 24 was aamc 3. i took it blind before studying. over 13 other practice tests, i was ranging from 27-32, with the last four being 30, 29, 32, 31. boy was i surprised.

ding ding ding! 24 was aamc 3. i took it blind before studying. over 13 other practice tests, i was ranging from 27-32, with the last four being 30, 29, 32, 31. boy was i surprised.

Same here... my practice tests ranged from 24-32, with an avg of abt 27-28. I scored 1 pt different from my april test. :thumbdown:

+1

Me suck!! 24 L (do not care about writing):oops::oops::oops:

At least, I can only go up, right?

Now, I am really glad I decided to go to pharm school instead of waiting to get into MD. At this rate, I will be done with pharm school by the time I get a decent MCAT score if ever.

Great idea, JDUB. If I dont get in this year, I'm switchign to degree-seeking with my clinical psychology masters and I'll be able to finish it before matriculating in 2009.

I haven't received my score yet (oct 10th!), but I have a feeling I'll be retaking. Not reapplying thankfully since I haven't done that yet.

It's still incredibly annoying though . . .I'm going to have to take time off from teaching and fly to a different country for the exam. Boo.

I'm a retaker too (junior right now).. what're you guys planning to do differently for your retakes... I think I'm going to chill out a little and stop freaking out.. that's my strategy... :thumbup:

A lot of the material is still fresh in my mind from the Aug 20th MCAT.. I'll study little by little and take in January. I got a balanced 29Q.. and I know many people think it might not be a good idea to retake... but I was consistently scoring higher on practice tests ... and nerves really got to me. Even a 1-2 point increase would be great for me :thumbup:

Yep, I'm probably gonna need to reapply... I'm definitely retaking it in August. I have 3.6 GPA, 3.4 science GPA.. and I got a 27 on the MCAT. That was a point -LOWER- than my diagnostic. :(

Anyone else retaking it in January?

Just remember though, there might be hope...MCAT isn't really everything! My brother-in-law had such strong EC's, LOR's, and GPA that he was recruited in and didn't even have to take it. Students obsess too much over it (don't worry, I'm one who worries). Good luck to you all with the retake.

What?! I call BS on that one. What school?