MCATs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IceDoctor

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I would like to know how would one prepare for the MCATs. I need to score above a 26 to get even considered at the medical schools I am applying to. Would anyone consider telling me their plans/routines for studying the MCAT or what really helped them. Thanks for everyting.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by IceDoctor:
•Hey everyone,

I would like to know how would one prepare for the MCATs. I need to score above a 26 to get even considered at the medical schools I am applying to. Would anyone consider telling me their plans/routines for studying the MCAT or what really helped them. Thanks for everyting.•••

I am not a good studier, so I felt like I needed some guidance in that area. I took the Kaplan class. It came down to me not wanting to look like a ******* in front of everyone, so I studied a lot. Maybe 25-30 hours a week at first.

The night before the MCAT I read a section on "How to Take the MCAT" as part of the Betz prep book. Ya know,

(1) Get a good night's sleep.
(2) Eat breakfast.
(3) Bring two #2 pencils.
(4) Bring black ink pen.
(5) Eat high protein breakfast as this stimulates brain activity...
etc.. etc...

-A

P.S. And, yes, I'm serious.

I took Kaplan and used all of their resources, and I raised my score 8 points. I would highly recommend a course if you can afford it, because it organizes the studying for you. Also, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! Take as many full length exams in simulated test environments as you can (Kaplan does this for you as part of the course). I think that helped me the most, learning how to pace myself and not be so nervous on the test day (I was nervous before we went in but confident once the test began). Best of luck! Also, take Amra's advice (above). :)