McCain vs Obama vs Clinton on mental health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Things are getting simplified a little too much here. I don't disagree that being a physician is one of the few professions where you're guaranteed a 100k+ salary, but that said, the investment/payoff ratio for doctors is still bad, unless you're sitting at the top of the income pole in terms of medical specialty.

This is where people get thrown. Get a spreadsheet out and forecast income. A $250K debt, with interest is a massive payback, especially if you aren't agressive with it. But crunch the numbers and you'll see that bigger paycheck + bigger debt beats smaller paycheck + no debt every time.
This depends. If you're an FP or peds doc in Manhattan making 90k, this is a serious problem. Another trap is that people are comparing the career of a physician to that of a skilled laborer in terms of income and assets. You're right, I'd rather have bigger income and bigger debt than the opposite, but comparing against a zeroed scale isn't a fair comparison.

Ignore that. These debits affect everyone, so it's a moot point when comparing.
Not really. those with no debt and who are able to put money and capitalize interest 10-15 years earlier have a distinct advantage here, particularly when they belong to a union or have a government position, and particularly when a med school debt, which is now commonly approaching 300k, keeps your effective salary at that of a laborer who makes 75-80k (estimate). An attending who's career ends 3 years into practice is in much worse shape than the other example.

Professional careers are not 40 hours per week. Tossing out the 40 hours per week thing is a red herring. I don't know anyone in a professional field (banking, technology, law, etc.) who works 40 hours per week. You can (as you can in medicine) but most don't. I think that this is why non-trads seem happier wth the financial aspect than traditional folks; we've walked on the other side and know that 9-5 exists for very few jobs of any sizable income.

I don't know...I know plenty of financial district friends who are working 40-50 hrs/week and take working vacations (frequently) who are pulling in close to 500k annually. They have their bad weeks, but there's no way it averages out to what I've done over the last 8 years. The overall time investment vs. time off seems better than in most other professional positions than in medicine. In fairness, we knew what we were getting into in this respect. For many attendings, call is still in the picture, as are 24 hour coverage of patients, particularly those in rural areas.

And most of these folks are salaried as well. There's no time and a half. You're comparing the medical career to a union job bagging groceries at Safeway. And if you want to do that comparison, take five minutes with a spreadsheet and see which pans out.
Again, virtually any "profession" vs. bagging at Safeway looks great. Also again...not saying I'd rather do that (bag at Safeway), but we're talking comparable training/time investment vs. salary here.

I am not even counting the risk factor..
I'd be curious to see this data of what percentage of physicians this happens to. Then compare it to other jobs. It would be interesting. For all I know, medicine is a higher risk occupation than fireman or 7-11 cashier. Or it could be safer than attorney. I haven't seen any comparative data, but I'd be interested.
[/quote]
Even if these statistics existed, I wouldn't care one iota about them. The vast majority of assaults, threats, etc are not reported by medical staff. Unfortunately, it's considered "part of our job."
Don't need to. I don't consider residency part of the career, I consider it part of the training. I don't worry about making $8/hour in residency any more than I worry about making $0/hour in med school. This is part of the investment.
There are no professions outside medicine that have essentially an 8 year training process. To not consider it as part of the overall career is eliminating a decade's worth of lost income, assets, and personal event loss.

If folks are very debt averse, medicine is definitely a pretty dismal career path. but if you're a long-term investment type, there aren't many paths as safe as this one.
I agree with this in some ways. 100k is not guaranteed in too many professions. And if it is, there is certainly no guarantee that you can GET or FIND that job in any part of the country you choose. Medicine comes close to plug and play 100k+ salaries virtually anywhere in the country. Medicine has done a good job of not flooding the healthcare market with doctors, and kept the degree valuable. This is being degraded by mid-levels and paraprofessionals, but that's another story and involves other factors, virtually all of which have to do with their own worries about their own financial viability.

Members don't see this ad.

So what happens if you owe about $300k after residency is over and you make $100k/yr?

/life over?

So what happens if you owe about $300k after residency is over and you make $100k/yr?

/life over?
Life's not over, but $300K is a big nut to pay when you're earning $100K. The problem with that sort of salary combined with that sort of loan is that it makes it very hard to pay it off aggressively. The $300K could look more like$700K if you pay it off over 30 years instead of 20 or 10.

It's still do-able to pay off a $300K loan in 10 years earning $100K/yr, but it would be paaaaaaaainful and you'd be living pretty close to hand to mouth. It would make having kids a tough thing unless your spouse was doing very well financially, which is kind of hard to plan on before you've met said spouse.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you look in the other direction, and compare physician salaries to those of journalists, professors, artists, scientists, musicians, human rights laywers and other members of the educated class, who make far less than doctors, and whose contribution to society is often as or more long-lasting than ours?

It's odd, but the people I hear complaining about their incomes are usually the ones in the most well paid fields, who just don't happen to be at the TOP.

Journalists - limited investment into career (money-wise).
Artists - often no investment into one's career.
Human rights lawyers work for the Cause. They are happy with it.

Forgive me, but without the physicians' contribution to society nobody would give a damn about most other things. Few people with sciatica are keen to enjoy Monet. So, I consider my contribution to be one of the more important and long-lasting.

It is natural for a man to complain. You can always find someone who is more rich, more intelligent, more gifted, better-paid than you are; someone with a more beautiful wife, better-behaved kids and a nicer job. I forgot - you can always find someone with less debt. How about we stop moaning and start enjoying OUR lives without looking over the shoulder of a person next door? We only need to look at our patients - and be eternally grateful to be as privileged as we are.

Human rights lawyers work for the Cause. They are happy with it.

I thought doctors were working for a cause too--the health of their patients.

This business about length of education is bizarre, IMHO. I would not exactly say that every year of medical education I've gone through so far has been effective, efficient, or useful. You could cut AT LEAST a good year out of my school's curriculum for the first two years, and I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. Even in third year, we spend a ridiculous amount of time just standing around waiting for our team to get organized, or for lecturers to show up who never do. So to sit here and say, well I'm getting such-and-such number of years of education so I should be paid accordingly--I don't buy it.

Why don't you look in the other direction, and compare physician salaries to those of journalists, professors, artists, scientists, musicians, human rights laywers and other members of the educated class, who make far less than doctors, and whose contribution to society is often as or more long-lasting than ours?

It's odd, but the people I hear complaining about their incomes are usually the ones in the most well paid fields, who just don't happen to be at the TOP.

Sure let's look in the other direction that you've shed the light upon.

Those musicians, journalists, & artists have unlimited earning potential. The only thing is, that they should be *good*. Most journalists don't know what the hell they are talking about, most artists lack the skill that would gain mainstream appreciation, and there are far too many people who think they can become musicians. On the other hand, those that do make it are compensated more handsomely then entire health care related companies.

As there are plenty of musicians, etc that don't make it, there are plenty of aspiring physicians that don't make it either.

I will say that there are other undercompensated professions (teachers particularly come to mind). So look on the bright side! We're not the only ones...

Again, as I mentioned before many of us aren't complaining about the income. We're just being realists. I could easily say that you are sugarcoating things.

notdeadyet said:
Don't need to. I don't consider residency part of the career, I consider it part of the training. I don't worry about making $8/hour in residency any more than I worry about making $0/hour in med school. This is part of the investment.

You should. There are plenty of people who get paid actual wages while being trained. No one's ever an expert at their job from day one. Plenty of companies pay for their employees to get an MBA part time. Lawyers in NYC can easily start at $150k+ right out of law school and that's while they're still getting a hold of things.

Anasazi23 said:
I agree with this in some ways. 100k is not guaranteed in too many professions. And if it is, there is certainly no guarantee that you can GET or FIND that job in any part of the country you choose. Medicine comes close to plug and play 100k+ salaries virtually anywhere in the country. Medicine has done a good job of not flooding the healthcare market with doctors, and kept the degree valuable. This is being degraded by mid-levels and paraprofessionals, but that's another story and involves other factors, virtually all of which have to do with their own worries about their own financial viability.

Anasazi, I have to say I agree with most of your post (didn't waste space quoting the entire thing), but you've mentioned that medicine is guaranteed a $100k+ salary. I don't really recall seeing that anywhere and in your post you've even alluded to FP & Peds doctors making $90k a year. That's a complete and utter disgraceful joke in my book.

I'd love to see what those FP & Peds doctors think about package delivery drivers & bartenders making more $$ than them, while working far fewer hours and requiring next to no educational training.

Also, for what it's worth I don't really consider my salary guaranteed or my job entirely secure etc, as much of medicine is socialized in the US, all it takes is one fell swoop from congress and you could easily be making a lot less.

Finally, I'd like to add that while $100k might not be explicitly guaranteed in other professions, it's not as far off as you might think. We haven't had the high unemployment rates of the 70s for quite sometime and as long as you've got experience / skill & are good at what you do, you practically can be guaranteed to make that or close to that while having job stability.

BabyPsychDoc said:
Forgive me, but without the physicians' contribution to society nobody would give a damn about most other things. Few people with sciatica are keen to enjoy Monet. So, I consider my contribution to be one of the more important and long-lasting.

It is natural for a man to complain. You can always find someone who is more rich, more intelligent, more gifted, better-paid than you are; someone with a more beautiful wife, better-behaved kids and a nicer job. I forgot - you can always find someone with less debt. How about we stop moaning and start enjoying OUR lives without looking over the shoulder of a person next door? We only need to look at our patients - and be eternally grateful to be as privileged as we are.

I honestly don't even see it as complaining, but hey apparently that's just me.

Apparently you can't even discuss compensation with out coming off as complaining these days.

So let's look at it another way. We're all obviously able to sense attitudes & behavior. It's part of the profession and part of our attraction to the specialty.

You probably see where I'm going with this. Just about anyone in medicine is aware that people take their health and their health care professionals for granted in this country. People don't really seem to care that the movie ticket box office, or sports ticket prices increase. They don't really seem to care about the outlandish salaries / bonuses their money managers take home.

Yet no one wants to pay their co-pay and they're happy to complain about the cost of their prescription refills, cost of their health care, etc. And they'll be happy to sue you at the first hint that something went wrong...

To some extent your compensation is a reflection of the attitudes towards your job and how much people care for it.

nancysinatra said:
So to sit here and say, well I'm getting such-and-such number of years of education so I should be paid accordingly--I don't buy it.

Ok, forget education. How's skill level, required competency of training, hours worked, capital invested, or the fact that you don't start earning a respectable wage until ~30 (and that's if you do everything on time).

Again, I'm not complaining. I'm just being a realist.

I don't expect our pay to increase anytime soon. Heck, we'll probably be fighting off pay cuts for quite sometime.

I never expected to break the bank in medicine. I knew I could get paid a lot better taking a different route and I'm happy with the path I've chosen, but I'll also happily admit that I'm underpaid.

Actually, a journalist who ends up writing a book that becomes a best seller is pretty much set for life. So writing is not a non-money making business. Ask Scott McClellan.

I am not afraid to compare compensations even if the compensation-squad comes out. I dropped a $70k career at the age of 21 to do medicine, I have no regrets but neither am I blind to the financial implications.

You should. There are plenty of people who get paid actual wages while being trained. No one's ever an expert at their job from day one. Plenty of companies pay for their employees to get an MBA part time.
I wish folks who feel that physicians are horribly underpaid would make up their mind on this. Do we want to consider residency training or employment?

Folks talk about how long the training is for physicians and they throw out the number of 11-15 years (by including residency) but the same folks turn around and talk about how low the pay is for the first few years of their career (by including residency). Which is it, 'cause it can't be both.

If you want to talk about how physicians start their career at very low pay, I'll buy that, but now the education requirement for becoming a physician dropped down to 8 years.
Lawyers in NYC can easily start at $150k+ right out of law school and that's while they're still getting a hold of things.
Tell a recent law school grad in NYC that it's easy to land that $150K+ job fresh out the gate. I know law grads in NYC having trouble finding a job at all.

The downside to physician salary is that you don't have the wide range dependent on abilities that you'll get in a lot of fields. The upside is that you have a great income and solid employment prospects regardless of school. The great investment banking jobs and law positions go to those from great schools with great reputations. If you're from a ho-hum law, business or undergrad school, you can be without work for a while and lousy pay when you find it.

That's the nice thing about medicine: regardless of med school, I don't know too many doctors who've been unable to find work and have gone back to being a barrista while they wait for something to come their way.

but you've mentioned that medicine is guaranteed a $100k+ salary. I don't really recall seeing that anywhere and in your post you've even alluded to FP & Peds doctors making $90k a year. That's a complete and utter disgraceful joke in my book.

I'd love to see what those FP & Peds doctors think about package delivery drivers & bartenders making more $$ than them, while working far fewer hours and requiring next to no educational training.
$90K/year physicians are the lowest of the low range. Compare their salary to a lowest of the low range bartender and you'll find that you'll make more as a physician. Let's keep it real.

I think discussions of whether or not physicians are actually underpaid is healthy, but when folks try to make the case that overall doctors have a terrible paycheck and they'd be better of bussing tables or pulling pints, it sort of takes the wind out of the sails.

Ok, forget education. How's skill level, required competency of training, hours worked, capital invested, or the fact that you don't start earning a respectable wage until ~30 (and that's if you do everything on time).
Okay, so how much is enough? If $175K doesn't cut it, what does? I'm just curious for folks who think that doctors make such a meager living, how much of a pay raise exactly would it take for folks to say, "there. now I'm adequately compensated."

This isn't a snipe. I'm really interested. Whenever I press this point, I usually hear a lot of vague discussion about (again) how underpaid the field is, but never a figure. Though we're quick to point out quantitatives like the hours, the loans, the years training, etc.

I do not think you personally are coming across as complaining at present, and I do appreciate that you are being a realist. However, anyone would notice that a significant number of posts on SDN is dedicated to salaries and salary expectations. Premeds, college and high school students complain that they will not earn "enough" money when they are physicians (few of them doubt that they will actually become physicians:rolleyes:); General Residency forums, FM, Peds, Psych, ER, IM - everyone is obsessed with the concerns about their earning potential. It is just getting WAY too old. Now, that is me ranting...:(

Yes, money is important. Everyone likes money. It buys you things and (more importantly!) convenience. But, millions of people in the US live on income significantly lower than even the lowest-paid physician makes. And I am talking about decent, honest working people, not the welfare parasites. So, listening to someone complaining that they will make mere 120K per year, instead of 500K they would like to aspire to, is a bit surprising.

Yes, most of physicians have high debt. Yes, it needs to be paid off. Did you know that before you started on the pathway to med school? I would be shocked if you did not. A family friend is MS3 at Drexel right now; she knew very well what she was getting herself into, and she knows she will graduate with 200-300K in debt, will go into FM, and she is HAPPY! Because she will do what she wants to do, and she knows that everything has a price. And, being a mature, responsible person she is prepared to pay the price.

Do I think we are being undervalued by the society? I do not think so; not disproportionately to other professions, at least. More importantly, though, I did not go into medicine to have my ego stroked by recognition of my professional importance. I went into medicine because I am interested in people, and I am interested in science, and I could combine both of my interests in one profession. If people go into medicine (especially into psychiatry or FM) seeking some recognition of their services, they are in for some nasty surprises.

I wish folks who feel that physicians are horribly underpaid would make up their mind on this. Do we want to consider residency training or employment?

Folks talk about how long the training is for physicians and they throw out the number of 11-15 years (by including residency) but the same folks turn around and talk about how low the pay is for the first few years of their career (by including residency). Which is it, 'cause it can't be both.

It's a hybrid of both. The entire economic situation of a physician would dramatically change, and a lot fewer people would even voice their concerns, if residency pay wouldn't be so meager.

But please keep in mind there are all kinds of jobs and types of employment in which you're still learning while you are in your first few years, yet your compensation is far more reflective of your skill level, education, etc etc.

Even in other European countries, residents are paid far better.

It really is a job on many levels. You interview, you're hired, you sign a contract, you have a responsibility to be there and complete job related tasks through out the day and yes you can be fired.

If you want to talk about how physicians start their career at very low pay, I'll buy that, but now the education requirement for becoming a physician dropped down to 8 years.
Yet, we take board & licensing exams during and after residency...

Tell a recent law school grad in NYC that it's easy to land that $150K+ job fresh out the gate. I know law grads in NYC having trouble finding a job at all.

The downside to physician salary is that you don't have the wide range dependent on abilities that you'll get in a lot of fields. The upside is that you have a great income and solid employment prospects regardless of school. The great investment banking jobs and law positions go to those from great schools with great reputations. If you're from a ho-hum law, business or undergrad school, you can be without work for a while and lousy pay when you find it.

That's the nice thing about medicine: regardless of med school, I don't know too many doctors who've been unable to find work and have gone back to being a barrista while they wait for something to come their way.
Tell that to the thousands of people who fail to match every year, or those who fail to match into the specialty of their choice.

You also realize that the narrow pay range of physicians also has some other downsides. It really doesn't encourage much delineation between good and bad physicians.

Are you suggesting that there are lawyers/MBAs going back to becoming baristas in droves? :rolleyes: And you mentioned getting real.

$90K/year physicians are the lowest of the low range. Compare their salary to a lowest of the low range bartender and you'll find that you'll make more as a physician. Let's keep it real.

I think discussions of whether or not physicians are actually underpaid is healthy, but when folks try to make the case that overall doctors have a terrible paycheck and they'd be better of bussing tables or pulling pints, it sort of takes the wind out of the sails.

You clearly don't get it. You shouldn't even be able to compare a physicians and a bartenders salary, period. The fact that there is a decent percentage of bartenders even coming close to any physicians salary is a complete #%!$ing joke.

Most pharmacists start out at >$90k and they don't have to do a residency, they don't have the same level of responsibility, don't work as many hours, don't need the same level of education, etc. I'm guessing that's perfectly ok with you though.

No one said physicians have a terrible paycheck. I'm glad you extrapolate what you want to hear. Physicians make a decent wage, but that's about as far as you can go, while still being honest about it.

Okay, so how much is enough? If $175K doesn't cut it, what does? I'm just curious for folks who think that doctors make such a meager living, how much of a pay raise exactly would it take for folks to say, "there. now I'm adequately compensated."

This isn't a snipe. I'm really interested. Whenever I press this point, I usually hear a lot of vague discussion about (again) how underpaid the field is, but never a figure. Though we're quick to point out quantitatives like the hours, the loans, the years training, etc.
Pay is a relative scale. $175k can be considered a lot of money, but compared to what? How much do other professions of the same skill, education, professionalism, etc make? Where exactly are you working? How many hours do you put in? How much training did it take to get there? What was the cost of that training? How effective are you at doing your job? How difficult is the job? How much does your job mean to society?

I do not think you personally are coming across as complaining at present, and I do appreciate that you are being a realist. However, anyone would notice that a significant number of posts on SDN is dedicated to salaries and salary expectations. Premeds, college and high school students complain that they will not earn "enough" money when they are physicians (few of them doubt that they will actually become physicians:rolleyes:); General Residency forums, FM, Peds, Psych, ER, IM - everyone is obsessed with the concerns about their earning potential. It is just getting WAY too old. Now, that is me ranting...:(

Yes, money is important. Everyone likes money. It buys you things and (more importantly!) convenience. But, millions of people in the US live on income significantly lower than even the lowest-paid physician makes. And I am talking about decent, honest working people, not the welfare parasites. So, listening to someone complaining that they will make mere 120K per year, instead of 500K they would like to aspire to, is a bit surprising.

Yes, most of physicians have high debt. Yes, it needs to be paid off. Did you know that before you started on the pathway to med school? I would be shocked if you did not. A family friend is MS3 at Drexel right now; she knew very well what she was getting herself into, and she knows she will graduate with 200-300K in debt, will go into FM, and she is HAPPY! Because she will do what she wants to do, and she knows that everything has a price. And, being a mature, responsible person she is prepared to pay the price.

Do I think we are being undervalued by the society? I do not think so; not disproportionately to other professions, at least. More importantly, though, I did not go into medicine to have my ego stroked by recognition of my professional importance. I went into medicine because I am interested in people, and I am interested in science, and I could combine both of my interests in one profession. If people go into medicine (especially into psychiatry or FM) seeking some recognition of their services, they are in for some nasty surprises.

Thank you.

I agree with you in that there are quite a number of posts, especially in other sub forums regarding the issue and I can't say I really visit any of the subforums on SDN aside from Psychiatry & Finance/Investment. But I used to hang out in the General Residency Issues subforum and I can see where you are coming from.

In all fairness, I don't think anyone on this thread has really come off as complaining. We're just being honest about it. It is possible to be happy with what you are doing and realize you are underpaid.

I'm glad to hear your friend is happy about going into FP. Yet, she's just an MS3. I'd love to hear what her views are like when she's in her 10th year as an attending, knee deep in paperwork and unpaid claims.

I do believe a large number of physicians have little to no idea what the world outside of medicine is like. Medicine is a pretty time consuming and engaging field so that can be understandable. I would venture a guess and say that those who are more realistic about our pay have a better understanding of what other normal educated/highly educated jobs are like.

Members don't see this ad :)

You clearly don't get it. You shouldn't even be able to compare a physicians and a bartenders salary, period. The fact that there is a decent percentage of bartenders even coming close to any physicians salary is a complete #%!$ing joke.

Are you referring to those same European countries where bartenders and waitresses and grocery store clerks are unionized and make middle class salaries, and where medical school tuition is paid for by the state so doctors don't accumulate debt, and are therefore ALSO paid middle class salaries? Come on. At least be consistent. Those same socialist policies that raise service workers' salaries also help the residents out.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. A lot of people on this thread have made interesting points. (For example, I have been reminded of how wrong I think it is that we accumulate so much debt just to go to medical school.) Do you really need to tell someone that they "clearly don't get it" just because they don't agree with you?

Last edited:
Agreed. And I find that those who complain the most about what a bum rap that doctors have are those who haven't had careers elsewhere first. Granted most doctors don't come in as non-trads, and that's probably a good thing, but for those who've come in having worked for a lot of years in other pastures, most of us can claim that they ain't that greener.

But from what I've seen, after residency, they're paid far worse than our attendings. Even with large debt, the salary differential as it stands now benefits doctors here.
Tell that to the thousands of people who fail to match every year, or those who fail to match into the specialty of their choice.
True, but it's a lot better in medicine than most professional fields. More unemployed lawyers than doctors. Some med students fail to match, but from stats I've seen, more law school grads fail the bar. And many med students fail to match into derm, but that's like failing to get the corner office job at Merrill Lynch. I don't think medicine is all that unusual in that sense.
You also realize that the narrow pay range of physicians also has some other downsides. It really doesn't encourage much delineation between good and bad physicians.
Wouldn't that depend on your type of practice? I can see that being true for say an Emergency Doc, but a private practice family practice person? I'd say word of mouth is pretty critical, no?
Are you suggesting that there are lawyers/MBAs going back to becoming baristas in droves? :rolleyes: And you mentioned getting real.
I know several folks who finished up their advanced degrees and went back to similar jobs they had before law or B school. The market was just not very good for decent jobs. I do know one MBA who did an old barrista stint because it gave her free time to interview for jobs.

Granted, none of these folks went to Wharton or Boalt, but not everyone gets to go to the top schools. In medicine, this won't be a major hiccup early in your career. For law and business? it can be. Plenty of studies have shown that an MBA from a non-top school does not pay for itself. I'd imagine similar figures for lower ranked law programs. Not so for lower ranked medical schools.
You clearly don't get it. You shouldn't even be able to compare a physicians and a bartenders salary, period.
You can't. And that math shows it. I was trying to patiently point that out. I could have ignored the point, but I get tired when folks make these ridiculous comparisons to prove that their six figure job is a pittance.
Most pharmacists start out at >$90k....
I really get a bit confused by the tendency to say medicine is such a bad rap by pointing out other careers who have it better. The fact that other careers are arguably more financially lucrative doesn't mean yours is a bad choice.
and they don't have to do a residency, they don't have the same level of responsibility, don't work as many hours, don't need the same level of education, etc. I'm guessing that's perfectly ok with you though.
Yes. I looked at the numbers, thought things over, and decided if medicine was right for me. If it wasn't, I wouldn't go into medicine. I don't begrudge other people their living because it's better than mine.
No one said physicians have a terrible paycheck. I'm glad you extrapolate what you want to hear.
When people start getting dramatic and saying that physicians make less than bartenders or DHL drivers, my woe-is-me meter starts wiggling.
Pay is a relative scale. $175k can be considered a lot of money, but compared to what?
Compared to the 96-97% of Americans making less than that. I realize it's entirely dependent on your upbringing. If you grow up well off and your parents made that kind of money, I'm sure it seems the norm. For many of us, we didn't know anyone pulling in that kind of cash.

To each their own. At the end of the day, we all went in with our eyes wide open and most of us with many other tempting options. My only hope is that if people complain about how little money they make and how their job is so very, very important, that they do it behind closed doors with their peers (like this forum). Nothing rubs peoples' feathers more than hearing those at the very top of the income heap complaining about how bad they have it.

Medicine is not the money tree folks think it once was (if it ever truly was at all). Medicine is not a life of poverty and sacrifice that we should spend too much time either being bitter or patting ourselves so very hard on the back over. Like most things, it's not as great as some folks think and not as bad as other folks fear. But we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
True, but it's a lot better in medicine than most professional fields. More unemployed lawyers than doctors. Some med students fail to match, but from stats I've seen, more law school grads fail the bar. And many med students fail to match into derm, but that's like failing to get the corner office job at Merrill Lynch. I don't think medicine is all that unusual in that sense.

Huh?! Are you counting all four medical license exams, the match process and the specialty boards? I tried to explain that to people before. A licensed physician is like a finished product on the shelf, the car in the exhibit waiting to be sold... yes it's guaranteed to sell (get employment) but that's cause all it's parts got tested and if a part was not working it would have been thrown out and no one coming to the exhibit to buy it would have known.

Huh?! Are you counting all four medical license exams, the match process and the specialty boards? I tried to explain that to people before. A licensed physician is like a finished product on the shelf, the car in the exhibit waiting to be sold... yes it's guaranteed to sell (get employment) but that's cause all it's parts got tested and if a part was not working it would have been thrown out and no one coming to the exhibit to buy it would have known.
I suppose it's too variable based on student, school and specialty, but I'd be curious to see the overall fail rate for said finished product. My understanding is that it's usually quite low.

Last I read, the overall pass rate of medical students is 96% (and since some of that 4% is death, disability, and changed intentions, the accurate figure is probably much higher). This takes care of Steps 1 and 2, right? I would guess that the vast majority of law schools would kill for a fail rate of 4%.

So maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed that most of your folks who fail out on the path to becoming a doctor do so early. Maybe a lot of folks fail Step 3 and have to leave medicine, but I would doubt it. Maybe folks are simply unable to pass their respective board exam and have to go into consulting, but I doubt that to.

I'm definitely not arguing that medicine has many, many hoops to jump through, but I haven't seen any data showing that there's a significant percentage of folks who are unable to get through those hoops once they get through med school. But if you have data showing otherwise, I'd be curious to see it. I have an open mind.

Anyway, we agree to disagree. No big whoop.

I suppose it's too variable based on student, school and specialty, but I'd be curious to see the overall fail rate for said finished product. My understanding is that it's usually quite low.

Last I read, the overall pass rate of medical students is 96% (and since some of that 4% is death, disability, and changed intentions, the accurate figure is probably much higher). This takes care of Steps 1 and 2, right? I would guess that the vast majority of law schools would kill for a fail rate of 4%.

So maybe I'm wrong, but I assumed that most of your folks who fail out on the path to becoming a doctor do so early. Maybe a lot of folks fail Step 3 and have to leave medicine, but I would doubt it. Maybe folks are simply unable to pass their respective board exam and have to go into consulting, but I doubt that to.

I'm definitely not arguing that medicine has many, many hoops to jump through, but I haven't seen any data showing that there's a significant percentage of folks who are unable to get through those hoops once they get through med school. But if you have data showing otherwise, I'd be curious to see it. I have an open mind.

Anyway, we agree to disagree. No big whoop.

Once through med school and in residency you jumped more than half your hoops. Psych might be more nice to its graduates (I dont know) so I can't speak for it (havent heard or witnessed enough).. but where I am doing the fellowship.. you fail the ABSITE and you're on probation, you fail the absite again.. you're gone. (The ironic part is that the ABSITE is not supposed to be used for advancement in years... sorta like the USMLE is not supposed to be used for determining level of medical knowledge). Best of luck getting a surgery residency failing the absite twice. And of course there is the 80% pass rate of general surgical certification boards and the oral is another 90%. Fail more than once and your residency program wont sponser you. These 10%-20% fail rates accumulate over the multiple hoops.. sometimes people bounce back up and sometimes they fall and who knows what happens like ending up just working with their state license in an urgent care center for the rest of their lives cause they didnt pass their specialty board exams.

We are way off topic btw... heh.

It's now McCain vs. Obama on policy.

Are you referring to those same European countries where bartenders and waitresses and grocery store clerks are unionized and make middle class salaries, and where medical school tuition is paid for by the state so doctors don't accumulate debt, and are therefore ALSO paid middle class salaries? Come on. At least be consistent. Those same socialist policies that raise service workers' salaries also help the residents out.

From what I know physicians in the UK get paid pretty well, work ~40 hours a week (if that), get paid a much better wage from the day they start residency, and have better tuition rates. Each system has their pros and cons.

A doctors salary is considered middle class / upper middle class in some parts of the US, believe it or not.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. A lot of people on this thread have made interesting points. (For example, I have been reminded of how wrong I think it is that we accumulate so much debt just to go to medical school.) Do you really need to tell someone that they "clearly don't get it" just because they don't agree with you?

Thanks for responding to something that wasn't even directed towards you, after responding to a patchwork of what I said.

I'd be surprised if you even read the whole thing seriously, or if you just tried to find flaws to quote and critique.

And yes, for the record, everyone is entitled to their opinion. We're having a pretty good & fair discussion here as far as I can tell. I'd say plenty of good points have been made on both sides of the issue.

Wow, let me first start off by commending you for taking the time to break down my response and quote it line by line.

But from what I've seen, after residency, they're paid far worse than our attendings. Even with large debt, the salary differential as it stands now benefits doctors here.

That's true to some extent, as I mentioned above, from what I know in the UK you can get paid fairly well especially considering you'll most likely be working far fewer hours.

Eh, I agree to some extent. It's not a fair analogy in the sense that you will always have the chance to work your way up to that corner office job. In medicine, if you don't match into Derm (say you wanted to), unless you plan on applying year after year, or trying something else and then getting into it, you really can't practice Derm. You could also say that each field of medicine is completely different, yet it wouldn't be all that hard to jump around between various types of law.

While there are plenty of people who fail the bar, there also are plenty of people who don't make it all the way through the medical training process (you can even start counting that from day 1 of med school if you'd like).

Wouldn't that depend on your type of practice? I can see that being true for say an Emergency Doc, but a private practice family practice person? I'd say word of mouth is pretty critical, no?
I guess some type of performance based pay could depend on your practice, but I also see plenty of downsides to performance based pay as well.

I know several folks who finished up their advanced degrees and went back to similar jobs they had before law or B school. The market was just not very good for decent jobs. I do know one MBA who did an old barrista stint because it gave her free time to interview for jobs.

Granted, none of these folks went to Wharton or Boalt, but not everyone gets to go to the top schools. In medicine, this won't be a major hiccup early in your career. For law and business? it can be. Plenty of studies have shown that an MBA from a non-top school does not pay for itself. I'd imagine similar figures for lower ranked law programs. Not so for lower ranked medical schools.
That's true, to some extent where you go to law/business school matters more than where you go to med school.

I'd say the barriers to entry, as far as creating a law or business school are far less than creating a med school. You could make an argument to compare the Caribbean schools to the lower tiered law/business schools and you'll see the vast majority of people don't even make it through.

You can't. And that math shows it. I was trying to patiently point that out. I could have ignored the point, but I get tired when folks make these ridiculous comparisons to prove that their six figure job is a pittance.
The comparisons aren't made to 'prove that their six figure job is a pittance.' The comparison is made to show how 2 professions on the opposite spectrum as far as education / training required, skill level, intelligence, etc can end up with relatively similar pay. Of course that doesn't hold true for all specialties, but Peds & FP do immediately come to mind.

I really get a bit confused by the tendency to say medicine is such a bad rap by pointing out other careers who have it better. The fact that other careers are arguably more financially lucrative doesn't mean yours is a bad choice.
No one's saying that just because medicine isn't more financially lucrative that it's a bad choice. I'm just pointing on the comparison to show that even professions in the same industry can be compensated fairly similarly, with out nearly as much input.

Yes. I looked at the numbers, thought things over, and decided if medicine was right for me. If it wasn't, I wouldn't go into medicine. I don't begrudge other people their living because it's better than mine.
Again, it's not about begrudging anyone else. I have a few friends that are pharmacists and couldn't be happier for them.

When people start getting dramatic and saying that physicians make less than bartenders or DHL drivers, my woe-is-me meter starts wiggling.
Addressed this just a few lines above.

Compared to the 96-97% of Americans making less than that. I realize it's entirely dependent on your upbringing. If you grow up well off and your parents made that kind of money, I'm sure it seems the norm. For many of us, we didn't know anyone pulling in that kind of cash.

To each their own. At the end of the day, we all went in with our eyes wide open and most of us with many other tempting options. My only hope is that if people complain about how little money they make and how their job is so very, very important, that they do it behind closed doors with their peers (like this forum). Nothing rubs peoples' feathers more than hearing those at the very top of the income heap complaining about how bad they have it.

Medicine is not the money tree folks think it once was (if it ever truly was at all). Medicine is not a life of poverty and sacrifice that we should spend too much time either being bitter or patting ourselves so very hard on the back over. Like most things, it's not as great as some folks think and not as bad as other folks fear. But we can agree to disagree.
Sure you can point out the 96-97% of Americans that make less and that's understandable, but I'd say 98-99% of Americans couldn't even make it through medical school, put in the hours required, have the intelligence, skill level, heart, work ethic, be willing to take on $300k in debt, etc etc.

You bring up a very good point, when you say a lot of it depends on where you come from. I mentioned something similarly above (in regards to where you live), but yes where you come from is probably more important.

For me to some degree it's probably a little different. I grew up in a town on this list. That will probably make a few jaws drop or eyes pop, and people can make what they want of it. For full disclosure, I'll also say my dad is a psychiatrist. Before you want to say "a ha... see!" let me also mention that he works >80 hrs a week on average (and thats a very conservative estimate and doesn't include any possible call hours).

And yep, to each their own.

Oh, and I'd just like to add that if you think that passively accepting your current salary, does anything but benefit the executives at health insurance companies or their share holders, you've got to be kidding :)

Executives at health care companies rack in huge salaries at the expense of everyone who works in the industry and the patients we serve. They know that we as physicians tend to be easy to take advantage of, and they'll continue to do so as long as we let them.

They will do anything they can to increase their bottom line, even if its to come up with what they can classify as reasonable grounds not to reimburse.

Think about all those times something is billed for in medicine (including your patient visits). Everything is always charged at $X amount but you most likely only get (and I'm just throwing a number out there), 0.75 * $X back.

Where do you think that money they have saved goes? It's all about their bottom line and the insurance company investors.

They're happy to have healthy or fairly healthy patients pay their premiums and insure them for it, but when they turn out to be more of a liability, those companies will do everything they can to come up with a reasonable excuse to increase their premiums or dismiss their coverage.

I find it highly ironic that here we are in a society that prevents/looks down upon physicians from receiving gifts or having company sponsorship (pharmaceutical for instance), yet is ok and actually promotes insurance companies to try and squeeze everyone for every dollar they can.:rolleyes:

My point here isn't for the physicians, but more against the insurance companies.

I don't know about you, but I'd trust that $$ in the hands of a physician over a share holder pandering executive any day. I know plenty of physicians that do what they can to help their patients in extenuating circumstances.

I also completely understand that we live in a capitalistic society, but at times it does feel like we're in a socialistic part of it.

Finally, and to get back on the subject, I'd like to say that I'm hoping whoever is the next candidate can promote changes that would improve health care for everyone.

Even though I'd pay higher taxes, and probably will end up taking a pay cut as a result of it, I think Obama is the only one who would actually even try to do something about it.

Hopefully efforts of more prevention, control of health care costs (imaging, lawsuits, etc), and fixing medicare are a part of either presidential nominees health care plans.

Last edited:
It's not a fair analogy in the sense that you will always have the chance to work your way up to that corner office job. In medicine, if you don't match into Derm (say you wanted to), unless you plan on applying year after year, or trying something else and then getting into it, you really can't practice Derm.
True, but if you want to earn big money in Family Practice, it's still quite possible, providing you are willing to make sacrifices like what area of the country you're willing to live, how many hours you're willing to work, what kind of practice you're willing to run and (importantly) how much risk you're comfortable accepting. That won't make you dermatologist, but you'll be making considerably more money, if that's your gig.
You could also say that each field of medicine is completely different, yet it wouldn't be all that hard to jump around between various types of law.
I think I'd question that. If have ten years of criminal law, jumping into intellectual copyright is probably not easily done with out essentially stating over in many ways. Just as it's possible to start another residency (shudder). And probably as likely.
I guess some type of performance based pay could depend on your practice, but I also see plenty of downsides to performance based pay as well.
I wasn't referring so much to performance based pay, but rather how reputation has a huge impact on private practice physicians. Word of mouth in a lot of fields, like primary care and psychiatry, can be huge for referrals and make up a fair portion of your private practice.
The comparisons aren't made to 'prove that their six figure job is a pittance.' The comparison is made to show how 2 professions on the opposite spectrum as far as education / training required, skill level, intelligence, etc can end up with relatively similar pay. Of course that doesn't hold true for all specialties, but Peds & FP do immediately come to mind.
Ah, I see. This is true. A high earning bartender and low earning physician can wind up with "relatively similar pay." I just don't think that's unique to medicine in any way. A high earning bartender is also in the same ballpark as a low earning physician (think public defenders, or hell, prosecuters) or a low earning MBA (think folks working for NGOs).
Sure you can point out the 96-97% of Americans that make less and that's understandable, but I'd say 98-99% of Americans couldn't even make it through medical school, put in the hours required, have the intelligence, skill level, heart, work ethic, be willing to take on $300k in debt, etc etc.
I completely agree with you there.
For me to some degree it's probably a little different. I grew up in a town on this list. That will probably make a few jaws drop or eyes pop, and people can make what they want of it. For full disclosure, I'll also say my dad is a psychiatrist. Before you want to say "a ha... see!" let me also mention that he works >80 hrs a week on average (and thats a very conservative estimate and doesn't include any possible call hours).
Very good. I wouldn't venture any "a ha's!" in terms of where you come from, but would point out that if that upbringing comes largely from your Dad's paycheck (and it might come from your mother's or family money, which nixes the following), it makes for a pretty good example of what a physician even in a low paying specialty can do with good training, a great reputation, natural talent and hard, hard work. My hats off to him.
Oh, and I'd just like to add that if you think that passively accepting your current salary, does anything but benefit the executives at health insurance companies or their share holders, you've got to be kidding :)
You're right. If I feel I'm being inappropriately compensated, I'll stand up for what I think is right. I just don't earn an income in medicine yet and can't say with alll my heart that I think doctors are underpaid.

I'm with you on the insurance angle and this is reform that needs support. Fix this, and you will fix some of the salary issues for the lower end specialties like primary care and their ties to 15 minute office visits and whatnot.
I don't know about you, but I'd trust that $$ in the hands of a physician over a share holder pandering executive any day.
well, I'd rather trust that $$ in the hands of the patient. Insurance co's will look out for insurance co's, doctors will look out for doctors. It's patients who are getting the short end of the stick right now, imho.
Finally, and to get back on the subject, I'd like to say that I'm hoping whoever is the next candidate can promote changes that would improve health care for everyone.
Ditto. And the best thing about Clinton being out of the race is that I don't have to spend any more time digging through their stance papers and voting records trying to find out exactly how their plans are different.

Can I just point out that the UK doctors are NOT being paid better than the US doctors? Yes, UK residents earn more money than their US counterparts, but once they have finished their training, their pay is hardly considered comparable to the pay of the US attendings. A specialist in the UK would start somewhere at 60-65K per year, and would top off at 100K in MANY years time, and only if s/he does a lot of extra activities (like clinical audit, research, training) to earn bonus points.

No, they do not work less than 40 hrs/week. Average would be around 45-50, depending on the specialty - these are just daytime duties. And yes, they have to do oncall - actually, their oncall commitment is increasing now, that the European Working Time Directive mandates time limit on junior doctors' hours. Oncall depends on the specialty, but in General Peds attendings are oncall minimum once a week in my hospital (tertiary referral centre). In subspecialties of pediatrics, oncall is 2-3 per week. They ARE called, and it is not unheard of them to come in in the middle of the night.

Private practice is only allowed if you work for minimum of 40 hrs for the NHS. If you are a star obstetrician or an orthopod, you could be pulling in 400K per year with private practice income (pounds, of course), but there is a handful of these high-earners in the whole of the UK. I could certainly only think of 5 obstetricians and about 10 orthopods NATIONWIDE.

I do not know where you get your rosy data about the UK physicians pay from, but those are not true.

You also have to consider higher cost of living in the UK - gas is >£1 per LITRE, houses about twice as expensive, etc

There is no ideal place to live - dont trust anyone who tells you otherwise.

P.S. And no, I am not moving to the US chasing the big buck - my poor hubby is getting more and more home sick by day. If it was not for him, I would not bother.

Can I just point out that the UK doctors are NOT being paid better than the US doctors? Yes, UK residents earn more money than their US counterparts, but once they have finished their training, their pay is hardly considered comparable to the pay of the US attendings. A specialist in the UK would start somewhere at 60-65K per year, and would top off at 100K in MANY years time, and only if s/he does a lot of extra activities (like clinical audit, research, training) to earn bonus points..

60-65k british lbs? like 116k to 126k. The department of labor says that Family Medicine WITH OBSTETRICS (which means they make more than without OB) physicians in the US less than two years from practice make 137k. Pediatrics make 132k.

So the US is not too far from the UK. As the dollar fall, both salaries will start becoming equivilant. At least you get healthcare for that drop in salary. :cool:

From what I know physicians in the UK get paid pretty well, work ~40 hours a week (if that), get paid a much better wage from the day they start residency, and have better tuition rates. Each system has their pros and cons.

A doctors salary is considered middle class / upper middle class in some parts of the US, believe it or not.

I didn't know you were talking about the UK, since you said "Europe" in your previous post. My point was that in your post, it sounded like you resented the fact that doctors' salaries in some cases were not far above those of bartenders. You did say this, after all:

"You clearly don't get it. You shouldn't even be able to compare a physicians and a bartenders salary, period. The fact that there is a decent percentage of bartenders even coming close to any physicians salary is a complete #%!$ing joke.

But actually, not everyone thinks that is "#%!$ing joke." In fact, in many European countries--the countries that provide tuition and PAY their residents decently, as you mentioned--class differences are LESS pronounced than they are here, and in the countries in Western Europe where I've lived at least, most of the people I met seemed proud of this aspect of their society. Anyway, it just seems weird to me to use Europe as an example to bolster an argument that seems to favor increasing income disparities in the United States. As if the income gaps in America aren't already among the greatest in the world!

And if some bartender or cashier makes more than me, then all I can say is, good for them! Why should that make me unhappy?

Thanks for responding to something that wasn't even directed towards you, after responding to a patchwork of what I said.

I'd be surprised if you even read the whole thing seriously, or if you just tried to find flaws to quote and critique.

I did read your whole post. If I took your comment out of context, I'm sorry. But you did tell another poster that they didn't "get it." I had a lot of appreciation for what that poster was saying. I hardly think that any of the people posting on this thread "don't get it." This includes me, and for the record, I DO think it's fine to compare salaries between physicians and bartenders. But granted, I have no way of knowing your tone of voice or anything.

I haven't kept up with the more recent developments, so if you elaborated on these issues, I'm not in the loop. I've gotten distracted by the Alien Abduction Thread! I just wanted to respond to what you said above.

60-65k british lbs? like 116k to 126k. The department of labor says that Family Medicine WITH OBSTETRICS (which means they make more than without OB) physicians in the US less than two years from practice make 137k. Pediatrics make 132k.

So the US is not too far from the UK. As the dollar fall, both salaries will start becoming equivilant. At least you get healthcare for that drop in salary. :cool:

NO, PLEAASE! you CANNOT just convert british pounds into USD and then draw any meaningful conclusions. One British pound in the UK does not have the same buying power WITHIN the UK as 2 dollars have within the US. Did not I say that gas costs > £1 per litre - that is like 8 bucks per gallon! A bread loaf is $2.50. Two corn cobs are $2.50 in summer season, in a "value" pack. Tuition in a nothing-special elementary private school is $20K per year, just for the privilege of not schooling your child in a school where 5 year olds beat each other up ("because my daddy does it to mummy, so that is OK") and 10 year olds smoke marijuana.

Of course, I can also point out that we have NHS, so we do not have health insurance costs. But, please, do not convert GBPs into USDs and say that salaries are the same in the two countries. Because they are not.

NO, PLEAASE! you CANNOT just convert british pounds into USD and then draw any meaningful conclusions. One British pound in the UK does not have the same buying power WITHIN the UK as 2 dollars have within the US.
In fairness to Faebinder, it makes a lot more sense to convert pounds sterling into US dollars and take into account cost of living differences, then it does to consider currencies as equal. Besides, after mentioning salaries of 60-65K, you talk about having to take into account the higher cost of living in the UK, so you're kind of double-dipping.

Incidentally, I agree with you. UK physician salaries are much lower than in the US. There's no comparison, really. Even the lowest salaries of US physicians are still slightly higher than UK and any higher paying salaries are drastically reduced in England.

In fairness to Faebinder, it makes a lot more sense to convert pounds sterling into US dollars and take into account cost of living differences, then it does to consider currencies as equal. Besides, after mentioning salaries of 60-65K, you talk about having to take into account the higher cost of living in the UK, so you're kind of double-dipping.

Incidentally, I agree with you. UK physician salaries are much lower than in the US. There's no comparison, really. Even the lowest salaries of US physicians are still slightly higher than UK and any higher paying salaries are drastically reduced in England.

I do not think Faebinder's post took into account cost of living differences. He did a straightforward conversion of GBP into USD and then compared the figures with the US salaries.

I am not sure why you think I am double-dipping? Just curious. I thought I just made my point and was frustrated when FB seemed to have missed it by not taking into account the higher cost of living. Really, prices here for most things are about the same as they are in the US - except you see a £ sign instead of a $ sign attached to them. Which is why you can't just convert the ££ into $$ and think you are going to get the same bang for your buck in this country as you would in the US. So, yes, numerically speaking UK physicians are paid about the same as the US physicians - but you cannot afford similar lifestyle in the UK on that salary.

I do not think Faebinder's post took into account cost of living differences. He did a straightforward conversion of GBP into USD and then compared the figures with the US salaries.

I am not sure why you think I am double-dipping? Just curious. I thought I just made my point and was frustrated when FB seemed to have missed it by not taking into account the higher cost of living. Really, prices here for most things are about the same as they are in the US - except you see a £ sign instead of a $ sign attached to them. Which is why you can't just convert the ££ into $$ and think you are going to get the same bang for your buck in this country as you would in the US. So, yes, numerically speaking UK physicians are paid about the same as the US physicians - but you cannot afford similar lifestyle in the UK on that salary.

Shall I open pandora's box of paying malpractice in the US vs UK? :cool:

I found this link on another thread. It's relevant to the discussion:

Reasons Not to Become a Doctor, in Forbes

I came across that article as well.

Most of the article is on point & depressing, lol. The opportunity cost of going into medicine increases by the day.

I will say I did find one ray of hope in there:

Meanwhile, getting sued by a patient is a major concern. Of course, doctors who make fatal mistakes and who are unqualified should be held responsible. But there's evidence that the bulk of lawsuits brought are frivolous. Of all malpractice lawsuits brought to jury trial in 2004, the defendant won 91% of the time. Only 6% of all lawsuits go to trial; those that aren't thrown out are settled. Only 27% of all claims made against doctors result in money awarded to the plaintiff, according to Smarr, president of the trade association for medical malpractice companies.

Regardless, doctors need to defend themselves against the possibility of damages--and that's an extremely expensive proposition. It takes about four-and-a-half years from the start of a lawsuit to the end, and the average cost to the defense in legal fees was $94,284 in 2004, according to the American Medical Association.

Many states are trying to establish laws to protect doctors from baseless suits. Texas went from the state with the most lawsuits filed to the only state that wrote tort reform into its constitution after its citizens voted it into law. Since tort reform was enacted in 2004, the yearly premium doctors pay in Texas for malpractice insurance has dropped by 40%. Now, the most plaintiffs can recoup for emotional damages is $250,000 from doctors and $500,000 from hospitals. Most interestingly, the number of claims filed against doctors has dropped by about half.

:)

I am not sure why you think I am double-dipping? Just curious.
No problem, I must have misread your post. I thought when you through out the number of 65K-70K (which Faebender disputed as being lowball), you were referring to a salary that was price adjusted into US dollars due to cost of living. When you mention later in the same post that you also need to keep in mind the cost of living is higher in the UK, it seemed that you were double-dipping, if that makes sense. I didn't realize that your original statement of 65-70K was meant to be sterling. My bad.

I agree about things being more expensive in the UK, but I find it hard to generalize what a currency is "actually" worth based on the price of retail goods and whatnot. It just doesn't take into account that in most countries where cost of living is higher, it tends to be coupled with better social services that most Americans pay a good deal more for. Health insurance alone costs a single average american about $5K (this was from a few years back, not sure how valid it is now).

So yes, I agree that a direct translation of sterling to dollar isn't quite right, but I don't think someone earning 40k/year sterling has the same standard of living as someone earning 23k/year in the US. Most folks I know in the UK earning near that amount live a heck of a lot better than folks I know making 23k/yr hear.

But no argument here about the higher cost of goods in the UK. The price of pints alone is an outrage. But who'd strike?

Another ray of hope is that demand for our services is increasing and supply of new MDs is flat. We make work harder for less money for a while, but eventually something will give.

True, but that's also assuming medicine follows free market forces. Medicare dictated reimbursements don't really allow that to happen.

Time will tell though and it will be interesting to see how it plays out.