MCG c/o 2009 and other years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
i noticed there wasn't a thread for those of us going to, or from MCG, so here we go.
so has everbody gotten the intro packet in the mail? i'm wondering what to do about books. from my undergrad years, i'm so used to just buying the book automatically, but i'm reading a lot of people's comments that we won't likely need them all.
any MS2+'s that can comment?

anyway, congrats to all of you guys and i'll see you on aug 4th!

Members don't see this ad.

anyone heard of recent waitlist movement?

no love for mcg in this forum, i guess.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the same question about books. Also, does anyone know anything about the health insurance plan? I'm just trying to decide whether to switch to the MCG plan or stick with the one I have. I'm excited for August 4th!

my wife is employed so i just moved under her plan. don't forget that you have to opt out of the mcg plan by a certain date, and bring a print out of your confirmation to orientation.
see you there

hopeful32 said:
I have the same question about books. Also, does anyone know anything about the health insurance plan? I'm just trying to decide whether to switch to the MCG plan or stick with the one I have. I'm excited for August 4th!

My daughter is a MS2 this fall and the program last year was through Aetna and the broker was Chickering. Nice people but the coverage is limited $1 Million. That sounds like a lot but for lifetime coverage I would like to see something higher. The drug program is $2500 a year which is little short also.

The cost are extremely low.

These are my opinions.

We are maintaining my coverage plus the college coverage for as long as we can. My daughter can be covered until age 25 if she is a full time student under my plan.

Hey,

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Aug 4. I was also wondering about the textbooks. Should we get them all beforehand / wait until classes start and find out which ones we really need, etc?

Vijay

here's a pm reply from erin682, who was nice enough to answer some questions i had about books for cs&s:

Hey, ok as I'm sure you've heard typically most med school students don't read textbooks all that often. There is a range, though, some people buy the bare minimum and other seem to have all of them (though I can't comprehend why or how they have time to read them all ). Ok so that said to your list:

I bought Mosby's last year and it still has the plastic on it though everyone who has already gone through 2nd year will say that you definately need it then so it doesn't hurt to go ahead and get it.

For anatomy you definately will want netter's but if you plan on joining amsa wait on getting it b/c you can get it free when you join amsa. Moore's is a tougher call b/c mostly its useless but it has these clinical blue boxes that some questions may come from. Typically though someone in the class will type these up and put them on the list-serve for everyone to use. If you do want to get Moore's its definately a book you could share w/ someone. The dissector is definately something to wait on as you really only need one per dissecting group.

Moore and Pesaud is a good book and I bought it. Its probably a good buy as many of the developmental processes are hard to picture without well pictures.

The cell book I didn't get and I didn't regret it but I know of several people who did have it. I would flip through it in the book store and see how it reads for you and if you feel like it would be useful.

Wheater's is a definite yes. Its a good book w/ lots of good study pictures.

I inherited basic histology from my roommate who's now a 3rd year and used it once and don't know many people who have it.

hey all....ill be attending as well....looking forward to meeting you all august 4
Neil

PhatGtDmB said:
hey all....ill be attending as well....looking forward to meeting you all august 4
Neil

Hey all! My name's Hunter, and Neil here and I both grew up in Augusta, so if you wanna know anything about our *oh so exciting* town, just ask! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

AIM: hunterjhsn
[email protected]