MCG Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desout777

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else here going to the Medical College of Georgia next year? I'm about 80% sure that's where I'm going to be...

Members don't see this ad.

i'm 76% percent sure that's where i'll be...exciiited??

x

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted back in November, and am now almost positive that I will be at MCG next year. Anyone have any idea about what part of Augusta their living in next year, or am I the only one that is still absolutely clueless? I just don't want to get stuck with a really crappy apartment because I waited to long.

x

Last edited:
Do you all know anything about their admission averages? I would really like to go there (I like the area and would love to live/practice in the area after med school), but I am a Fl resident. I scored 34N and have a 3.4 GPA (3.4BCPM as well). Good EC's, volunteering, and research. I had mono for a semester and mom got cancer during another semester-- the reasons my GPA is a bit sub standard.

Chances at MCG?

Almost forgot, I got a secondary request last week and am planning on Fedexing it back on Thursday morning.

Do you all know anything about their admission averages? I would really like to go there (I like the area and would love to live/practice in the area after med school), but I am a Fl resident. I scored 34N and have a 3.4 GPA (3.4BCPM as well). Good EC's, volunteering, and research. I had mono for a semester and mom got cancer during another semester-- the reasons my GPA is a bit sub standard.

Chances at MCG?

Almost forgot, I got a secondary request last week and am planning on Fedexing it back on Thursday morning.
You are just now sending in the secondary? I wouldn't hope for much. They might be done interviewing.

And you're out of state? They only accept about 5 a year OOS.

Although if they sent you a 2ndary request, it's probably because they're interested... They screen OOSers for 2ndaries, right?

Also, I don't remember there being an application fee, so you might as well just submit. Maybe you'll be one of the few OOSers they accept.

Chances at MCG?

I am a first year at MCG and I was also an out of stater from FL. I got my secondary late and had one of the last interviews of the season. My undergrad GPA was 3.83 overall, and my MCAT was a 29R. Our class has 5 out of staters.

I wouldn't give up on getting into MCG, I honestly thought I had no chance and was I surprised when I got accepted.

If anyone else has any questions about MCG, Augusta, and med school life in general feel free to ask me...

PS: ENJOY YOUR SUMMER, and do whatever makes you happy, you will miss your free time once you get here! :eek:

I am a current MS3 at MCG and we are loosing one of our roommates this summer. We will have a room available in a 3BR/2BA home about 10 minutes from MCG at I-20 and Washington Rd. Convenient to interstate and restaurants on Washington Rd. It will probably be available at the end of July/first of August but could be available earlier.

You would have two roommates that will be 4th year med students (good for advice) and will be doing out-of-town rotations for a good portion of the year. The room shares a bathroom with another roommate (a guy). House is very clean and only about 7 years old. No smoking/no pets.
Rent is 300.00/mo. and 1/3 utilities (usually about $80-100 per month per person including cable and broadband (wi-fi)
If you are interested please private message me.

Congrats to everybody coming to MCG!
:D

I'm in for 2011 as well. ED in October, actually.

I'm already in Augusta, and if anyone wants to meet up with a fellow classmate and get to know Augusta, let me know!

I'm also looking for a female roommate, possibly. My roomie has applied for a job out of state and will be moving out sometime before August.

Hey y'all, for those people who are not from the Augusta area, have you started looking for housing yet?

Can anyone recommend a good realtor in the area??? There appear to be a kazillion and one entries in the yellow pages.:D

ill be there. i need to find a place to live

Members don't see this ad :)
99% sure I'll be at MCG, Too!! I'm pretty excited.

x

Last edited:
my roomate hasnt heard back yet.. has anyone recently been accepted or is every1 ED here?
I got in regular decision back in the fall.

I didn't realize that this thread was moved to the allo forum... although it makes sense. I'm happy to have found it once again. Still no idea what I am doing for living down there, but I am hoping to figure that out soon. Hook17, I might just be willing to take you up on that offer if you get a house. Just send me a message if the offer still stands.

I didn't realize that this thread was moved to the allo forum... although it makes sense. I'm happy to have found it once again. Still no idea what I am doing for living down there, but I am hoping to figure that out soon. Hook17, I might just be willing to take you up on that offer if you get a house. Just send me a message if the offer still stands.
Aren't you subscribed to it since you replied earlier? :confused:

I don't really know what that means. Where do you see what threads you are subscribed to? I am not that savvy in the ways of SDN.
Click on "User CP" on the top left of the page. You should see a list of threads your subscribed to. If you don't see any or you're not receiving emails letting you know there have been additional posts to any threads you have replied to, then click on "edit options on the left, and scroll down to "default subscription mode." It should say "instant email notification." Also, check to make sure that the email address you have listed is one that you check regularly--that's under "edit profile." No one can see your email address, so don't worry if you use one that is personally identifiable.

Click on "User CP" on the top left of the page. You should see a list of threads your subscribed to. If you don't see any or you're not receiving emails letting you know there have been additional posts to any threads you have replied to, then click on "edit options on the left, and scroll down to "default subscription mode." It should say "instant email notification." Also, check to make sure that the email address you have listed is one that you check regularly--that's under "edit profile." No one can see your email address, so don't worry if you use one that is personally identifiable.

Thanks, that will definitely make things a lot easier.

This thread kind of died so I thought I would bring it back from the dead. No one new find out that they've been accepted? Has anyone started looking for apartments/housing down in Augusta yet? If so, does anyone have any suggestions of good places to start looking? All I know is that I want to be as close to campus as I possibly can be. I think I am going down there in a week or two to start looking for a place to live, but have absolutely no idea of where start looking.

ya, the enthusiasm is definitely dwindling. has anyone gone on a second look at mcg? i know they don't officially offer one, but maybe someone has organized their own? i'm going back down this friday on a "closer look" tour... and also: anything in augusta that i shouldn't miss? i guess i'll be checking out the housing situation as well...so yeah, if anyone knows where to start looking, i'd be interested in that info as well.

ya, the enthusiasm is definitely dwindling. has anyone gone on a second look at mcg? i know they don't officially offer one, but maybe someone has organized their own? i'm going back down this friday on a "closer look" tour... and also: anything in augusta that i shouldn't miss? i guess i'll be checking out the housing situation as well...so yeah, if anyone knows where to start looking, i'd be interested in that info as well.

let me know what you find out regarding housing (i.e. if there is a certain area that people tend to live, what things should cost), because like I said I have no idea where to even start looking. Have fun on your "closer look" tour, maybe it will help to re-spark that enthusiasm.

PM me if you're interested, and I'll give you the name of the realtor I used to buy my house. :)

There are ads listed in several buildings for apartments, roommates, and houses for rent and/or sale. The CB building, where the anatomy labs are, has some huge bulletin boards. There are some near the financial aid office, too. I'm sure there are tons more around campus.

if you're pretty sure you'll be in augusta, and it's within driving distance, i'd recommend spending a day or so with an apartment finder and driving around. you'll pick up pretty fast on what parts of augusta you'll be interested in. also, we bought a house about 15 miles away from campus and several people were like, "don't live so far away, you'll be on campus late at night and you won't want to drive so far...". bottom line: traffic in augusta is really nothing (especially if you're from atlanta) and you won't/don't need to be on campus all hours of the night unless you completely procrastinate heading to the anatomy lab and histology resource room. my wife and came over to augusta twice for day trips and had a pretty good idea of where we wanted to be.
g

thanks for the advice, I will definitely keep that in mind when I go down there in the next couple of weeks. I've been looking a little bit online, but it is tough to really know what the places are like without actually seeing them in person. I do remember seeing those bulletin boards hanging up everywhere, so I'll make sure to check those out as well.

I'll be attending MCG come next august, and I wanted to put my $.02 on the housing subject.
To home buyers:
Augusta has went through this HUGE inflation in prices on the housing market a few years ago. Alot of people were coming from up north and came down here and paid 20-30% more then the value of the home. That has since stopped, and the housing market has done a 180--right now is a really good time to purchase a home--as an investment or as a primary residence. Everyone is predicting that in 4 years--the market will, once again, be in the "turnabout"process.

Renting an apartment or buying a home both have some of the same difficulties. Augusta, for the most part, is a safe place to be in--the likelihood of violent crimes are very small. That said--there is a lot of non-violent crimes that do occur--if you choose to live in a bad area of town--there's a really good chance your house might be robbed, or your car broken into. I was at the Augusta Greenway (in N. Augusta) 2 weeks ago and a lady went for a walk on the public pathway and was gone for maybe an hour. She left her purse in the car and by the time she returned, her rear window was busted in and the purses were gone.

Areas of Augusta w/ Pro's and cons:
Evans: Far from school, safe suburb area, solid investment--house value will remain relatively unchanged
Martinez: Same as Evans
Grovetown; WAY far from school, boom town--house values will likely increase, Augusta is growing in this area. Very safe area--but do you really want a 25 min. to commute to school daily?
Hephizbah: Far away from school, lot of suburb areas--but the closer to downtown you get from the hephizbah side, the worse the housing situation is.
Downtown: I'm breaking this category up into quarters
Old Towne: Biking distance to school, possibly. Not the safest area of town, close to the bars (the bad bars)--drunken friends will ask you for a place to crash if you life here. House values tend to fluctuate quite a bit here. Alot of older homes, but for the most part very reasonably priced.
Summerville: Popular Area for med/dental Students, 5 minute car-commute to school, Very safe area, Prices tend to remain uneffected by housing market. Houses tend to be on the pricier side around here.
Downtown Downtown: Scary. Cheap, but scary. If your a single male who owns a gun and a large dog--live here. Oh, and you'll be able to walk to school. Don't worry about how much you'll sell the house for--cause you probably won't pay anything substantial for it in the first place. Friends might want to crash at your place after a night on the town--but their just as likely to avoid it cause their car might be gutted by the time they sober up the next morning. I exaggerate on this subject a bit--there are plenty of good houses and little "pocket areas" of goodness around, but you really have to shop hard and look at your neighbors houses and decide if thats the area for you.
The Hill: Summerville and the Hill are hard to separate. The hill is literally a geographical hill that you can spot when on Walton Way, going away from MCG after the first big bend in the road. These are homes that tend to be expensive, except toward the downtown side--which experiences a sharp drop off in prices (due to the aforementioned scariness).

I think thats all I can say right now, except that for the rentors out there--you should be able to rent a room somewhere in the 5 min. commute vacinity for 300.00 +/- 50 bucks for your standard apt. I currently have a 2 Br. 2 Ba apt. that I have with a roomate and we play 640.00 currently. We'll be moving out of here and into a house that I purchased on the edge of summerville later this month--thus the "i've been keeping my ear to the ground" on this whole housing situation--I hope that this has been of some help--and if you have any questions, email me at [email protected]

I'll be attending MCG come next august, and I wanted to put my $.02 on the housing subject.
To home buyers:
Augusta has went through this HUGE inflation in prices on the housing market a few years ago. Alot of people were coming from up north and came down here and paid 20-30% more then the value of the home. That has since stopped, and the housing market has done a 180--right now is a really good time to purchase a home--as an investment or as a primary residence. Everyone is predicting that in 4 years--the market will, once again, be in the "turnabout"process.

Renting an apartment or buying a home both have some of the same difficulties. Augusta, for the most part, is a safe place to be in--the likelihood of violent crimes are very small. That said--there is a lot of non-violent crimes that do occur--if you choose to live in a bad area of town--there's a really good chance your house might be robbed, or your car broken into. I was at the Augusta Greenway (in N. Augusta) 2 weeks ago and a lady went for a walk on the public pathway and was gone for maybe an hour. She left her purse in the car and by the time she returned, her rear window was busted in and the purses were gone.

Areas of Augusta w/ Pro's and cons:
Evans: Far from school, safe suburb area, solid investment--house value will remain relatively unchanged
Martinez: Same as Evans
Grovetown; WAY far from school, boom town--house values will likely increase, Augusta is growing in this area. Very safe area--but do you really want a 25 min. to commute to school daily?
Hephizbah: Far away from school, lot of suburb areas--but the closer to downtown you get from the hephizbah side, the worse the housing situation is.
Downtown: I'm breaking this category up into quarters
Old Towne: Biking distance to school, possibly. Not the safest area of town, close to the bars (the bad bars)--drunken friends will ask you for a place to crash if you life here. House values tend to fluctuate quite a bit here. Alot of older homes, but for the most part very reasonably priced.
Summerville: Popular Area for med/dental Students, 5 minute car-commute to school, Very safe area, Prices tend to remain uneffected by housing market. Houses tend to be on the pricier side around here.
Downtown Downtown: Scary. Cheap, but scary. If your a single male who owns a gun and a large dog--live here. Oh, and you'll be able to walk to school. Don't worry about how much you'll sell the house for--cause you probably won't pay anything substantial for it in the first place. Friends might want to crash at your place after a night on the town--but their just as likely to avoid it cause their car might be gutted by the time they sober up the next morning. I exaggerate on this subject a bit--there are plenty of good houses and little "pocket areas" of goodness around, but you really have to shop hard and look at your neighbors houses and decide if thats the area for you.
The Hill: Summerville and the Hill are hard to separate. The hill is literally a geographical hill that you can spot when on Walton Way, going away from MCG after the first big bend in the road. These are homes that tend to be expensive, except toward the downtown side--which experiences a sharp drop off in prices (due to the aforementioned scariness).

I think thats all I can say right now, except that for the rentors out there--you should be able to rent a room somewhere in the 5 min. commute vacinity for 300.00 +/- 50 bucks for your standard apt. I currently have a 2 Br. 2 Ba apt. that I have with a roomate and we play 640.00 currently. We'll be moving out of here and into a house that I purchased on the edge of summerville later this month--thus the "i've been keeping my ear to the ground" on this whole housing situation--I hope that this has been of some help--and if you have any questions, email me at [email protected]

Definitely helpful and greatly appreciated. The only areas that I had even heard of before were the Hill and Downtown (b/c those were the 2 that the tour guide mentioned on my interview day tour). My goal is to stay as close to campus as possible for the first year while I get used to Augusta and figure out my way around town. I know you mentioned downtown as being close to the campus, but what are the other areas that have a lot of apartments/houses to rent near campus that are <5 mins. from campus? Also, I am really glad to hear that the rent should be somewhere around $300, that is pretty similar to what I am used to in Athens. thanks

Definitely helpful and greatly appreciated. The only areas that I had even heard of before were the Hill and Downtown (b/c those were the 2 that the tour guide mentioned on my interview day tour). My goal is to stay as close to campus as possible for the first year while I get used to Augusta and figure out my way around town. I know you mentioned downtown as being close to the campus, but what are the other areas that have a lot of apartments/houses to rent near campus that are <5 mins. from campus? Also, I am really glad to hear that the rent should be somewhere around $300, that is pretty similar to what I am used to in Athens. thanks
:eek: Wow, just wow.

Hey guys I'm a third year, almost 4th year, at mcg and I'm looking for 2 female roommates as well. I live in a 3BR/3bath townhouse owned by the parents of my roommate who just graduated. They are really laid back about making changes, painting etc unlike living in an apt complex or something owned by a realtor. Its about 10 minutes from school and shopping, in a quiet neighborhood. I've lived here for 3 years and have been very happy with it we even have a little back yard. The 2 available bedrooms have a different rent b/c of a size difference. I'm not 100% sure what they will want to charge but I know it will be around $400 plus 1/3 utilities which is averages out to be about $100/mo depending on the season. I lived with a girl who was a year ahead of me and the advice and free books were invaluable. PM me if you are interested or let any friends know that are looking and I can arrange a time for you to look at the house.

Congrats on getting in!

x

Last edited:
Hi, I just graduated from MCG. I don't mean to barge in but I see you are all talking about places to live. Augusta real estate is very inexpensive. It may be worth your time to consider purchasing. If you get roommates they will practically pay your rent for you. (Just don't tell them that :D )

I happen to be selling my 3BR/2BA house in Columbia County about 8 miles from MCG. Here is the Craigslist link if you are interested. http://augusta.craigslist.org/rfs/332457290.html

Enough of the sales pitch though. I would be happy to answer any questions about MCG if you have them.

Just so you know, that link is the one to manage and publish the listing, not to view it. I'm sure you wouldn't want someone to delete it.

See you all Aug. 2nd!

I'm starting the housing search as well - I lived in the AUG for a few yrs, and will be heading back early in June to find a place.
I'm leaning towards buying a townhouse on the Hill (great area), and renting the second room.
PM with any interest.
Im 22, male, vandy Ugrad.
And my mom is on this damn site way more than I am, and wanted me to post. Happy Mothers Day/week!

ill be there in august! gonna start looking next wk.

I am going to be a first year at MCG and I am looking for a roommate to share rent for a condo on Monte Sano Ave. The rent is $450 and 1/2 the utilities. You would have your own bathroom, bedroom, and parking spot off the road. It is the cutest, newest condo I've ever seen! All new paint, carpet, and wood floors. W/D, dishwasher, and central heat and air. The bedrooms are very big. The place has two floors with the bedrooms upstairs and a small patio out back. Really you cannot beat this place!!

I got a little carried away before and forgot to say I'm a female, non-smoker, study a lot, but I like hanging out too :) If you're interested in the great condo email me at [email protected].

Hey Guys, Has anyone received the intro packet from the school yet or heard anything about their financial aid?

Hey Guys, Has anyone received the intro packet from the school yet or heard anything about their financial aid?

I haven't heard anything yet and I turned in all that stuff a long time ago. Also, I talked to one of my friends that will be a 2nd year med. student down there and he said that we will be lucky to hear back before the end of June, or beginning of July. I can't believe they take that long, but oh well. And no, I have not received the intro packet yet either.

Has anyone been able to set their PULSE account yet?

I got that email with info about a little of everything today but the page that we're supposed to use to get our usernames says that new students should call the the IT Service Desk.

I called the Financial Aid office today and they said they started processing paperwork for all students on June 1st. Who knows how long that'll take!

Hi guys,

i'm planning on getting a place at Broad St. Commons, Woodlake Club, Enterprise Mill, or St. Andrews apartments. Anyone knows what the area around these places are like? Safety issues i should consider? Areas I should I avoid? Thank you!!!

Hey y'all...
Well, we finally moved in this weekend. My wife is still working in Atlanta, and I am still consulting at Emory, but will be here for the most part. Let me know if anyone is interested in getting together. Or, if you have any questions about Augusta. Though not from here, I know the area pretty well. And, as others have said, buying here is really a good option...affordable and good turnover every 4 years...And, the market is projected to be pretty nice by 2011. We bought in Summerville/Hill area. Near Central and Monte Sano. But, look at the downtown lofts (downtown is coming along really well), as well as brynwood, aumond, greenbrier, etc. It seemed that nearly every house we looked at over in those areas were Med/Dental students or residents.

See y'all Aug. 2

For those wondering...

Fin Aid hopes to get everything done by July 4th. They have had computer systems down not allowing bridging of information.

Get your Immunization forms in!! In my registration schedule in PULSE, it states there are still 110 spots open in the classes. That's alot of folks to be registered over the next week.

I have an odd request, but here goes. I'm in charge of getting people to respond to the 31 question's thread in the mentor forum and am looking for current students at all of the med schools of the US. So, I realize this is the class thread for the incoming class, but perhaps someone from previous classes has been helpful in answering your questions and giving you advice in this thread. I have no time to read through every single class thread to get this info, but if you could post some user names of some such people (or pm them to me, including what school you are from), I can pm them with my request. Thanks!

For those wondering...

Fin Aid hopes to get everything done by July 4th. They have had computer systems down not allowing bridging of information.

Get your Immunization forms in!! In my registration schedule in PULSE, it states there are still 110 spots open in the classes. That's alot of folks to be registered over the next week.

so has anyone recieved their finaid award letter now?

This thread died a while back. How is everyone doing?