MCG vs. UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gazpacha

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any input is welcome :)

Medical College of Georgia
Pros:
-full tuition scholarship
-closer to home (albeit not a huge priority for me)
Cons:
-not as well known
-2nd preclinical year is graded
-Augusta isn’t the most interesting place

UT Southwestern
Pros:
-more resources
-Dallas seems like a cool place to live
-better curriculum IMO, for example only 1.5 years preclinical which is all P/F
-sizeable spanish speaking patient population (bettering my medical Spanish is important to me)
Cons:
-more expensive, ~90k in tuition for all 4 yrs, though my parents would cover living expenses and a good chunk of the tuition (my guess is at least half but we haven’t had the conversation yet)

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, UTSW is only $90k more and your parents are willing to cover living expenses - I’d say it’s worth taking that much out in loans to go there. Even better if parents pay half. That’s still half the price of your average undergraduate education these days. Don’t feel bad for going for UTSW.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Care to elaborate haha?
Dallas, better school with better residency programs which means better letters. Depends on what you want to go into, but if you are at all interested in competitive specialties then UTSW will help you more come match time.

I've spent time in Augusta, its not fun haha

If you are dead set on primary care and money is a huge factor then I would understand MCG more but UTSW really seems like the move here.

If your debt would be under $100,00k, I think it would be totally reasonable to go to UTSW. (And this is coming from a fanatically debt-averse person). I've never visited Dallas but I've heard it's a pretty exciting place, and the reputation of UTSW is a big deal.

Going to MCG would mean being completely debt free, though, which is a pretty tempting consideration. You would have a LOT of freedom relative to your peers.

I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Last edited:
UTSW is a top school with all of the benefits that entails. You will receive a better education with better resources, better connections, and better prospects for better residencies. That's worth it even if your parents were not helping --

Congratulations and welcome to Texas!

Reactions: 1 user