McGill anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moinmoin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any other Americans apply to McGill University in Montreal? Does anybody know when they start inviting for interviews? Their website says that they interview out of province students in January, which is fast approaching. Just curious if anyone else has any info. I'd love to have a chance to go there, even if it is slim.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey - I just thought I'd let you know that Montreal is an incredible city. . . if you've never been there and you have questions, PM me and I can tell you a few things. (My BF lives there & I visit him fairly frequently. . . going there in late December, in fact!) Know nothing about McGill Med, though. Sorry. :)

Great school to go to. McGill and University of Toronto are tied for the two top med schools in Canada this year.

I'm at McGill. I'm from Mass. I did my undergrad here and I'm finishing up my masters. I'm applying to their med school for MD/PhD. Interviews will be in January and they'll let you know promptly. If you do get an interview send me a PM...I'll tell you what hotels you can stay at in Montreal and get the "McGill Discount"...like you can stay in the Ritz Carlton (3 min walk from the med school) for 100$ cdn per night.

Do realize they take UP to 15 "international" students per year. They don't always fill up their spots. Also, McGill does not care about individual MCAT scores...just the combined...They might say they look at extra cur. etc...but all they really care about is cGPA (undergrad) and combined MCAT scores...

Cheers

Hoomsy

moinmoin said:
Did any other Americans apply to McGill University in Montreal? Does anybody know when they start inviting for interviews? Their website says that they interview out of province students in January, which is fast approaching. Just curious if anyone else has any info. I'd love to have a chance to go there, even if it is slim.

Members don't see this ad :)
hoomsy said:
Great school to go to. McGill and University of Toronto are tied for the two top med schools in Canada this year.

You probably meant this in a colloquial sense, but to be clear, there are no rankings of Canadian medical schools. :oops:

I applied to McGill! they only just got my recs though, so I might be too little too late.

Last edited:
I'm a local Montrealer, so I'd be glad to answer any questions about the city and stuff :)

hoomsy said:
:) Actually there is...

http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20051104_162820_5764

Macleans every year ranks different programs and universities in Canada....It's like those Time Mag. or US Report articles...

Cheers

Hoomsy

Actually that is a ranking of undergraduate programs in Canadian universities that offer MD and PhD as their top degree, as it says on the website.

As someone else said, there are no rankings for Canadian MD programs, although there should be.

threemusketeers said:
Actually that is a ranking of undergraduate programs in Canadian universities that offer MD and PhD as their top degree, as it says on the website.

As someone else said, there are no rankings for Canadian MD programs, although there should be.

Actually, Gourman Report (Princeton Review) ranks Canadian medical schools on an overall grade of 5:

1. McGill University (4.91)
2. University of Toronto (4.90)
3. University of British Columbia (4.85)
4. University of Montreal (4.78)
5. McMaster University (4.74)
6. Queen's University (4.68)
7. Laval University (4.62)
8. University of Manitoba (4.57)
9. University of Ottawa (4.51)
10. University of Western Ontario (4.48)
11. University of Alberta (4.46)
12. University of Calgary (4.43)
13. Memorial U NFLND(4.37)
14. Dalhousie University (4.33)
15. University of Sherbrooke (4.25)
16. University of Saskatchewan (4.16)

Medical School in canada is considered undergraduate....you technically can get into medical school without finishing an undergraduate degree.....

some schools like McGill will accept you right out of college (grade 13,14).... other schools will accept you after completing only 3 years of university....

So yes...it's med school ranking...

hoomsy

threemusketeers said:

I'm in the same boat as you...that's part of the reason I'm doing the masters...

I did my undergrad here in Chemistry in 3 years...so then I applied to Medical School...couldn't get in...my MCAT was Ph9,Bio9,Ver6 (24) but my cGPA was 3.90. I then started the Masters in Chemical Engineering.... my MCAT is now Phy11,Bio11,Ver6(28)...so I'm short of their 30 too...but there's still a chance... However I'm applying for the MD/PhD only because my co-supervisor (in medicine) is part of the admissions committee for it :)

Anyhow....it says the 30 is an average...so averages mean above and bellow.... My verbal score is really ****ty...thankfully mcgill doesn't care about the individual scores...only combined..

If you have any questions let me know...

Also what's cool about McGill is your degree is an "M.D.,C.M." the CM is latin for master or surgery

Cheers

Hoomsy

moinmoin said:
Thanks for the info. I know they are heavy on MCAT and cGPA, which is good and bad for me. My MCAT is just under what they suggest but my GPA is well over. They seemed to downplay graduate degrees (which I am also working on right now) as well as other parts of the application. I would love the chance to go there, though I've read that they are accepting fewer international students each year. I'll contact you if I do end up getting an invite, but I'm more wishful than optimistic about my chances.

hoomsy said:
Medical School in canada is considered undergraduate....you technically can get into medical school without finishing an undergraduate degree.....

some schools like McGill will accept you right out of college (grade 13,14).... other schools will accept you after completing only 3 years of university....

hoomsy

No sir, the Mclean ranking is definately not a ranking of the particular medical programs and no Canadian medschools are not considered undergraduate.

McGill is the only school that offers the Med-P program and that is only for Quebec CEGEP students.

Members don't see this ad :)
jeeez....will people stop doubting me...i think i know a little bit about canadian schools...ive lived here for 4.5 years now!!

McMaster Medical School..."undergrad md program"
http://65.39.131.180/ContentPage.aspx?name=MD Program Home

University of British Columbia "undergrad md program"
http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_programs/md_ugrad.htm

McGill University "The Faculty of Medicine offers a four-year undergraduate medical curriculum (M.D.,C.M. program)."

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/programs.htm

shall i go on?...

:)

Hoomsy

Gavanshir said:
No sir, the Mclean ranking is definately not a ranking of the particular medical programs and no Canadian medschools are not considered undergraduate.

McGill is the only school that offers the Med-P program and that is only for Quebec CEGEP students.

hoomsy said:

hoomsy

Surprisingly, you are absolutely right in your wording. I hadn't noticed but I guess Canadian schools use the terms "undergraduate MD program". But, aside from McGill's Med-P, there is no way for anyone to enter their "undergrad MD program" without having at least completed 3 years of undergrad, right?

Again I really don't think those rankings apply to the medical programs, I believe the schools are naming their program undergrad just because it is undergrad within the medical edcation context. As in, medschool is undergrad and residency and fellowship are graduate. I wish I had more time to look into this right now but I'm gonna be asking around about this :)

hoomsy said:
jeeez....will people stop doubting me...i think i know a little bit about canadian schools...ive lived here for 4.5 years now!!

McMaster Medical School..."undergrad md program"
http://65.39.131.180/ContentPage.aspx?name=MD Program Home

University of British Columbia "undergrad md program"
http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_programs/md_ugrad.htm

McGill University "The Faculty of Medicine offers a four-year undergraduate medical curriculum (M.D.,C.M. program)."

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/programs.htm

shall i go on?...

:)

Hoomsy

Hoomsy,

You are right that MD programs in Canada are considered undergraduate programs. However, the Maclean's rankings are rankings of the entire university, not of individual programs such as medicine. The medical-doctoral categories ranks the "undergraduate experience" of universities with medical schools and extensive graduate programs. Here's more details about the methodology: http://www.macleans.ca/universities/article.jsp?content=20051114_115647_115647

yeah it's all good... i also know this because if you want like US govt. loan money it can be a bit tricky....because if you're in an "undergrad" program then you get X amount of money as opposed to graduate or what ever other program...so if you go to mcgill...you won't be able to get the same amount of money from the US govt as you do if you went to a US school because canadian schools are technically undergraduate...so that's something to keep in mind if you want to come here...you better secure funds from other sources....

they consider the residency, fellow etc. graduate...

but seriously...those rankings are for the med school.. every year they have an edition of that magazine where they rank every university with respect to what ever program...from arts to engineering to medicine etc... as you might notice...they don't give you all the details about the school online...you have to pay for that issue...

but ur right...Med-P is for the college students from Quebec...so they go through grades 13 and sometimes 14 then they have to do 1 year of undergrad actually...THEN they go to med school....honestly....it's almost the same as if they just did an undergrad degree..

but to my knowledge...ive never heard of anyone going to med school in canada with less than 3 years of university...or 90 credits...

cheers

hoomsy

Gavanshir said:
Surprisingly, you are absolutely right in your wording. I hadn't noticed but I guess Canadian schools use the terms "undergraduate MD program". But, aside from McGill's Med-P, there is no way for anyone to enter their "undergrad MD program" without having at least completed 3 years of undergrad, right?

Again I really don't think those rankings apply to the medical programs, I believe the schools are naming their program undergrad just because it is undergrad within the medical edcation context. As in, medschool is undergrad and residency and fellowship are graduate. I wish I had more time to look into this right now but I'm gonna be asking around about this :)

hoomsy said:
yeah it's all good... i also know this because if you want like US govt. loan money it can be a bit tricky....because if you're in an "undergrad" program then you get X amount of money as opposed to graduate or what ever other program...so if you go to mcgill...you won't be able to get the same amount of money from the US govt as you do if you went to a US school because canadian schools are technically undergraduate...so that's something to keep in mind if you want to come here...you better secure funds from other sources....

they consider the residency, fellow etc. graduate...

but seriously...those rankings are for the med school.. every year they have an edition of that magazine where they rank every university with respect to what ever program...from arts to engineering to medicine etc... as you might notice...they don't give you all the details about the school online...you have to pay for that issue...

but ur right...Med-P is for the college students from Quebec...so they go through grades 13 and sometimes 14 then they have to do 1 year of undergrad actually...THEN they go to med school....honestly....it's almost the same as if they just did an undergrad degree..

but to my knowledge...ive never heard of anyone going to med school in canada with less than 3 years of university...or 90 credits...

cheers

hoomsy

Just to clarify something, Quebec highschools only go up to grade 11; grade 12 and 13 are completed during CEGEP.

hoomsy said:

hoomsy

Hoomy - I'm afraid you're incorrect about this. The Maclean's rankings do not rank Medical programs apart from their contribution to the overall Medical/Doctoral Univerisity category. Do you use the Canadian med forums on EZBoard? There is recurrent discussion about this topic...always the same conclusion. As well, I just read through this year's University Review issue (which is what you get online if you pay)...there aren't any individaul program rankings - just the Comprehesive, Primarily Undergraduate, and Medical Doctoral categories.

Last edited:
Gavanshir said:
Actually, Gourman Report (Princeton Review) ranks Canadian medical schools on an overall grade of 5:

1. McGill University (4.91)
2. University of Toronto (4.90)
3. University of British Columbia (4.85)
4. University of Montreal (4.78)
5. McMaster University (4.74)
6. Queen's University (4.68)
7. Laval University (4.62)
8. University of Manitoba (4.57)
9. University of Ottawa (4.51)
10. University of Western Ontario (4.48)
11. University of Alberta (4.46)
12. University of Calgary (4.43)
13. Memorial U NFLND(4.37)
14. Dalhousie University (4.33)
15. University of Sherbrooke (4.25)
16. University of Saskatchewan (4.16)

The Gourman Report is old and no longer relevant...and additionally, there was quite a bit of controversy of its validity.

As much as people like rankings, there just aren't any for Canadian schools. If your a Canadian, if you're lucky enough to have more than one offer, you're better off picking the best fit for you personally. You really get pretty close to an equivalent MD training anywhere. There aren't any bad Canadian med schools. As well, I think that factors that go into determining rankings (i.e. research $$, prestige) matter more for residencies and fellowships.

Is anyone just not content with becoming a physician in Canada? I don't understand the obsession with rankings. Go where you want, where you feel best. Simple.

hah alright what ever it's not worth argueing....honestly...ive picked up one of those magazines before (from a few years back...they're thick and go into detail).

Yeah for sure....PM me in a few weeks....right now he's busy as ****.... but let me tell you....basically there's two sets of people at mcgill...first you have to get past the admissions office...what they do is score you...so you get a score for your MCAT, cGPA, Essay, Letters etc....if you score high enough you will get an interview....at that point the admissions office is doen with their job...

then it's the interview which makes the difference....everyone is at the same level when you reach the interview...so ONCE you get past that first hurdle of the admissions office...THEN people like my supervisor THEN have control :)

It's tough to get the interview...but if you can you're in good shape.

Parle vous francias? (it's not important if u don't)

I'm here on student visa right now...my 2nd one.... I actually have an interview with Immigration Quebec on Tuesday...heh...so yeah hopefully I can get the perm. resident status (Basically a Canadian Green Card). I applied as american (which the have strict quotas for)...IF i get accepted though.....and IF i get my P.R. status (which could be 4 months from now the most) then I can switch to Canadian status and pay the low tuition..(i forget..somethign under 10k a year i think).

I was asking my supervisor which would be best to apply as...he said american....but i still don't get it because here are the stats....

http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/admissions/faq.htm

so as you can see you would have a better percentage as applying as a quebecois...

What's really hilarious about McGill..they accept more americans then they do out of province students...which pisses off a lot of my friends here....

cheers

hoomsy

moinmoin said:
Hoomsy- I've got your back, man. Especially since we have the same MCAT and GPA scores! Tell you advisor to hook up a fellow American if you get the chance. That'd be sweet if we both made it. Are you a permanent resident of Canada or still on a student visa? Did you apply (were you able to) to other Canadian schools who don't take international students without residency? You'd save an amazing amount of money on tuition at a Canadian school.

hoomsy said:
What's really hilarious about McGill..they accept more americans then they do out of province students...which pisses off a lot of my friends here....

Tell me about it. It really says a lot about where their loyalty lies. Batards. :mad:

haha....well maybe they'll take more out of province people this year....one of the issues with this whole kicking the liberals out and the election thing is the crazy doctor shortages in canada....

also...keep in mind...you DID kick their ass and they DID submit to you "brits"...that's why they will always "je me souviens"

hoomsy

Jon Davis said:
Tell me about it. It really says a lot about where their loyalty lies. Batards. :mad:

hoomsy said:
haha....well maybe they'll take more out of province people this year....one of the issues with this whole kicking the liberals out and the election thing is the crazy doctor shortages in canada....

What is disgusting about the Canadian medical system is that the in large part, the physician shortage is fabricated. Across the board, the number of seats in a class has remained the same! Very little progress on that front. In addition, IMGs are treated like crap, especially by the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons (A bunch of thugs in my opinion). Not to mention the out of province docs that try to get licenced here. It's sickening the politics that are played. You may not see it because you are an American. BTW, why do you want to become a Canadian, and a Canadian doctor? (The trend is more Canucks going south.)

grass is always greener on the other side...

Jon Davis said:
What is disgusting about the Canadian medical system is that the in large part, the physician shortage is fabricated. Across the board, the number of seats in a class has remained the same! Very little progress on that front. In addition, IMGs are treated like crap, especially by the Ontario College of Physicians and Surgeons (A bunch of thugs in my opinion). Not to mention the out of province docs that try to get licenced here. It's sickening the politics that are played. You may not see it because you are an American. BTW, why do you want to become a Canadian, and a Canadian doctor? (The trend is more Canucks going south.)

Last edited:
Good luck on your interview. It is a top-notch school. The pass/fail classes are pretty sweet.

Hey,

Congrats! Did you hear by e-mail or snail mail? I'm back at my parents place for break so if it's snail mail I won't be able to check my mailbox until January 4th.

Congrats again.

Hoomsy

moinmoin said:
I'm excited! I found out today that I got an interview invite to McGill! Will any of you other non-canucks be interviewing also? I don't have an MSAR available, as I am out of town for the break. Can anyone tell me how many international people interviewed and were accepted in years past? ...Assuming you have an MSAR handy...

Last edited:
Hey,

That's great congrats.

Hmm...so I guess if we didn't get an email we didn't get interview. That really stinks...

What does your status say on Minerva?

Thanks

Hoomsy
moinmoin said:
Hey-

I got an email yesterday afternoon saying I'd been invited for an interview. They also said I would be receiving an official letter via snail mail. Hope you get one soon. Everyone really seems to like McGill; I'm stoked I have a shot. Good luck.

Good luck and congrats!! I don't have an MSAR, but I do know that in my class this year there are 12 international students (8 American students and 4 from Europe)--though I am not certain how many interviewed...feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about McGill at all....

moinmoin said:
I'm excited! I found out today that I got an interview invite to McGill! Will any of you other non-canucks be interviewing also? I don't have an MSAR available, as I am out of town for the break. Can anyone tell me how many international people interviewed and were accepted in years past? ...Assuming you have an MSAR handy...

Hey!

I got my invite today! I applied for MD/PhD. I have 4 interviews, 30 min each on the 20th of Jan. When is yours?

I also got an invite at West Virginia.

Cheers

Hoomsy

moinmoin said:
Hey-

I got an email yesterday afternoon saying I'd been invited for an interview. They also said I would be receiving an official letter via snail mail. Hope you get one soon. Everyone really seems to like McGill; I'm stoked I have a shot. Good luck.

Last edited:
From what I hear, Montreal and McGill are amazing places to be to study medicine.

Unfortunately, they only have 5 seats available for Out-Of-Province Canadian applicants. Because of this, I didn't even apply even though I have fairly competitive stats (~3.8/33P).

And for some reason, they have more seats (~15) for International Applicants. Anyone know why that is?!?

yeah it's crazy...my supervisor (who used to be part of med admissions) said that he found it odd there were 4....maybe it's the 2 you'll have and then 2 with the MD/PhD people...

yeah if you need any advice let me know. I actually live a block and a half from the faculty of medicine....

also...if it's ur first time in montreal...u should try to stay the entire weekend....you'll have a blast!!!

cheers

hoomsy

moinmoin said:
that's great Christmas news. I also have my interview on the 20th of Jan! I applied to the regular MD program so I have two interviews that day. Sounds like you're going to be busy...4 interviews. It'll be good to have someone there that day I've chatted with before. I'll PM you before the interview for certain.

yeah....

actually..i think it's UP to 5...i heard sometimes they take 2.

well...basically because a lot of the med schools (not all) in othe pronvinces do the same thing...the only reason why they take so many americans is to get their name out there in the US. also, they used to have it that if you apply as american and u graduate from there..you have to leave the country after....you can't practice in canada (made you sign contract). they just got rid of that rule.

anyhow...i did apply as an american...BUT last tuesday i got my CSQ (quebec birthcertificate basically)...so if i get accepted there i can pay quebec tuition (after i submit this document and other things to immigration canada).

i suggest for all thoseo who get accepted to start the immigration process as soon as possible.

cheers

hoomsy

SensesFail said:
From what I hear, Montreal and McGill are amazing places to be to study medicine.

Unfortunately, they only have 5 seats available for Out-Of-Province Canadian applicants. Because of this, I didn't even apply even though I have fairly competitive stats (~3.8/33P).

And for some reason, they have more seats (~15) for International Applicants. Anyone know why that is?!?