McGill Grad to Applying to US Med Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

klmnop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am an American/Canadian dual citizen who is graduating from McGill with a 3.35 (hopefully 3.4) in Science (Anatomy). I have yet to take the MCAT and am planning on it this summer. Provided my score is average (around 30) is it worth it applying to American medical schools.

I am from Michigan so I would obviously be applying to UMichigan, Michigan State, and Wayne State, but beyond those in-state schools I dont know what schools give me a good chance for acceptance.

I am currently struggling to decide whether to pursue a MSc. at McGill, and then apply med school afterwards, or to go forward with applying to med school at the end of this summer (to begin in fall 2010).

My extracurriculars include extensive volunteering at hospitals, and job experience includes working in a hospital for two summers, and in a research lab for a full year, as well as shadowing a physician.

My question is, how favorably do american medical shools look at McGill undergrad, if at all... or do they just see a GPA and MCAT regardless of the school. I want to know if I should go through the effort to apply, or if I should do a Masters and then apply in order to have a better chance of admission.

If anyone can help with my decision please do, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Since your GPA is on the low side for American allopathic medical schools, I think whether you apply or not should depend on how strong your MCAT score is. Mean stats for acceptees to US schools are GPA 3.66 and MCAT 31. You'll need an MCAT score of 34 to compensate. A graduate degree GPA does not get factored into your application GPA by AMCAS. Another way to improve your GPA would be by continuing to take undergrad classes for another year or two, either by delaying graduation, or in an offical or unoffical post-baccalaureate program.

You might also consider applying to osteopathic (DO) medical schools. Their mean acceptee stats are 3.45 and 25.5. Their application service (AACOMAS) does factor a grad GPA into the application GPA.

Med schools will not judge you by the name of your undergrad institution, but rather by your GPA and MCAT score.