McGill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccryder

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone applying? I'm interested in people's opinion/view of the med school.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished my final semester at McGill as an undergrad. This school is excellent and Montreal is one of the best cities on the continent. The med students I know like McGill Med, but it is known for its sort of traditional teaching methods. Also, the med building is not the prettiest structure. The city's hospitals are consolidating into a "superhospital" which will be presided over by McGill. Although controvertial for Montrealers, this seems like an amazing opportunity for students.

I am curious bout this school as well. Are there any websites that compare canadian schools? Also, how hard/easy is it for someone who goes to McGill to get a residency in the US?

Members don't see this ad :)
There are two good Canadian pre-med sites (one's just a discussion board) that I know of. They can be found <a href="http://www.geocities.com/hotsprings/oasis/8998/frames.html" target="_blank">here</a> and <a href="http://www.delphi.com/anandmed" target="_blank">here</a>. I know McGill accepts many more Americans than non-Quebec Canadians each year. Also, your chances of getting an American residency are not reduced by going to McGill (which does not appear to be the case for the the other Canadian schools). Best of luck!

in fact, 25 spots are usually given to US students while a meager 5 are awarded to non-Quebec students! I have also heard McGill called the american med school in canada - no problem with residencies.

Hrm. Relatively speaking, for an American, is it as difficult to get into McGill as it is to say, Johns Hopkins?

Has McGill sent interview invitations to out-of-province applicants yet? Any idea when that might be? Thanks!

Are you referring to Canadian out-of-province applicants or US residents?

I just cut and paste some posts from another thread...

Originally posted by xrayray17:
•Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this network, but I was reading all the previous topics on this page for International medical schools. I noticed some really misinformed stuff about Canadian Medical Schools and so I would like to point them out to all the prospective American Applicants. First of all, you can't apply for Canadian Medical Schools through AMCAS, the ones in Ontario are done through OMSAS, and I'm not sure about the rest, I think each province should have their own sort of "OMSAS". Second of all, in Ontario, only the University of Toronto and McMaster University take in International applicants but these are very competitive spots, to my knowledge only about 2-3 spots at McMaster and up to about 5 at U.T. Most of the Canadian ones are extremely competitive, I think if you're American you'll have a way way more easier chance of getting in to the ones in the states, that's unless you're looking for a lower cost education, then that's one of the advantages I see of going to school here. And the biggest advantage of going to med school in Canada is that basically it's considered the best, not to diss up on the American education system of anything, but graduating from Canada, you can do whatever you want, (easily obtain residency in the states), but if you did it the other way around getting a residency in Canada will present a new set of problems. Basically, I'm saying that applying for a Canadian Medical University is extremely tough, all the ones in Ontario, are ranked as the toughest ones to get in, in North America, followed by California and so on..I'm not trying to discourage your application, just that I think people should be realistic. For example, even though you can't apply to Western as an American, their requirements are as follows, at least 3.6 overall G.P.A or you can't apply, MCAT, at least an 8 on biology and physical science, but the 2 scores added up together must be at least 18, and that's the same for the other 2 sections. And remember these are just the minimum requirements, average scores on these sections are about 11.7 as they listed on their site one year. See what I mean? with those sort of marks, you could get into any med school in the states. Take another example, Ottawa (you can't apply either), cut off G.P.A is around 3.8-3.9 each year. If you're really keen on going to med school in Canada, you're best bet is with the less well known schools in other provinces, and in the end it's all the same, as long as it's from Canada. But really, as long as you don't really want to practice in Canada, then it's Ok to go to the U.S school, and even if you want to practice in Canada after going to a U.S med school, still very very possible, just you might have to take a couple of exams, and get some internship in Canada. So for you American applicants, I say go for it, I mean it's less cheaper to apply to med school here anyways, just don't get the mentality that they're going to be more lenient here because they claim to not put as much emphasis on the MCAT, EVERYTHING counts, and they're not very forgiving on many things. If you get a 7 on any of the MCAT sections, consider your application finished for the year unless your G.P.A and other credentials are just stellar or you designed the health care system, otherwise don't count on it.
My advice, would be to apply to more American schools, many Canadians go to the states and international medical schools, because the admission standards here are even more narrow than the ones in the states. So study hard, if you want to know more information about Canadian Medical Schools, feel free to contact me at

I'm a 4th year undergrad at the University of Toronto doing a Science Degree.

Study hard! Don't get frustrated.•••

Is it still true that only Macmaster and U of Toronto take americans? I have heard that since Ontario schools deregulated its tuition, some schools have taken in international students that they did not take in previously.

Best bet for a Canadian med school spot as an American: McGill and Memorial in Newfoundland.

I am not too sure about the stringent admissions standard you mentioned. I am aware that the things you said apply to Canadian applicants. But the purpose of accepting international students for these Canadian schools is to bring in more tuition money for the school. In that case, I am not too sure if they care as much about your academic credentials as they care about Canadian applicants'. Granted, you probably need to be decent (3.5+ and 30+) but I doubt that you need 3.8 and 35. Case in point. It is accepted that it is a lot easier to get into McGill as an American (20-25 spots a year) than as an out-of-province Canadian (5 spots a year). There are many times more out-of-province Canadians applying to McGill than Americans but yet more spots are reserved for Americans. How about for U of Toronto? How many Americans actually apply to those spots?

Lastly, Ontario's tuition is sky-rocketing at an insane rate every year. I am not sure if it will end up cheaper to go to an Ontario school versus staying in-state. Of course, the tuition might not ever reach 30k US dollars anyway, but as it is, I think going to Memorial in Newfoundland is 20k US dollars a year (definitely more expensive than going to a SUNY, UC or UNC).

A couple years ago when I applied, I actually e-mailed quite a few students there, most of which were Americans . Apparently, some Americans turned down Yale, Columbia, etc. to go to McGill for the cheaper tuition, and the AWESOME Montreal. None of them regretted. The downside of McGill is its lack of high-tech facilities (just take a look at their computer lab). Some other upsides however include its reputation in the US (Sir William Osler graduated and taught at McGill before while neuroscience as a field was started at McGill and the neurological center at Montreal) and its clinical training that places lots of responsibilities on the students (well, the school and hospital lack money so they have to rely on students a bit more; plus there is less lawsuits in a government-controlled health care system).

Overall, I would not say that McGill is as tough to get in as most top 10 schools. Although some students there were choosing between Columbia/Yale and McGill, some were choosing between Boston U and McGill as well. However, it is a gem and best kept SECRET among the Americans who apply there. I would highly encourage people to give it a shot.

I know that in Ontario, U. Ottawa and Queen's require that all applicants be either citizens or permanent Canadian residents. Queen's does makes an exception for children of their alumni. Western also does accept non-Canadians, but they don't give many details about it on their website. As for U of T, I think they have 2 or 3 spots available for international students every year, but that's not exactly the same as 25 spots
like at McGill, so I presume it would be more difficult. Anyway, if you are an American, you're better off attending an American school (or McGill) anyway, because otherwise it may make things harder when you apply for residency. All the Canadian schools are acreditted, but the curriculum might be a bit off from what's covered on the USMLE, some American residency directors may not have heard of the school, etc.

Since I saw something re McGill...I thought somebody would be out there to help...

I will be in Montreal this summer for work (specifically Dorval...I plan to commute by carpool or public transportation). Could someone please recommend certain 'districts' that are great areas. Also, what is the best way to find lodging as I am not in Montreal.

Thanks!

(Sorry...I wasn't too sure where to post this)

I am glad to see a thread about my alma mater. I am an American who studied at McGill and I was utterly impressed by the school, its reputation in the us and around the world and by one of the most incredible (and safe)cities in North America- Montreal. When I arrived at McGill, I didn't realize how impressive it is...a few of the alumni include the author of the decalaration of human rights, leonard cohen, william shatner,sir william osler,former canadian prime ministers sir wilfrid laurier and sir john abbott,james naismith the inventor of basketball, the current president of latvia, the ceo of 3M,ceo of hollinger corp, NASA astronauts. and Rutherford did came up with his famous rutherford mosel of the atom here.

When applying to US medschools, I asked what their policies were regarding americans who studied in canada...well after they asked which school i had gone to, washington U said that they think of McGill as one of the top int'l institutions, yale told me that they will look at me as the same as if i had gone to yale for undergard, the dean of duke told me that some of her top students did their undergrad at yale. and peep this, the sunday times recently ranked McGill as one of the top 10 universities in the world, along with harvard, yale, princeton, stanford, oxford, heidelberg, sorbonne, cambridge. While i do not think it is really that impressive in reality, it surely has an impressive int'l reputation. the avg american might not have heard of the school, just as they probably have never heard of heidelberg, the great german university...but among academics, these are truly int'l universities with superb reputations. well, enough about the school's reputation...all i wanted to say is that us americans who went here certainly believe that it is one of the best kept secrets! and i personally know 30students who study at mcgill med and u will NOT have trouble getting residency in the US...in fact, mcgill's reputation will help u.

as for me, i do not want to study at mcgill...i want to study in the us...but that's for personal reasons.

oh by the way, Montreal is AWESOME! one huge party city that has a superb european flair..culture, safe, beautiful people who know how to have fun...the city and its people are just one big piece of eye candy...i will miss living here.
as jay leno has said, "montreal is the most beautiful city in north america" liz taylor got married to richard burton here...and they film sooo many hollywood films here..i have met ben affleck, robert deniro, my friend met katie holmes, nick cage. my sis met john travolta, etc... they film here b/c it is cheaper than in the us with the exchange rate and it is so beautiful...makes for great camera shots. and all these celebs party on boulevard saint laurent! thurs, fri, sat nights along this street are ligned with feraris porsches, lamborghinis, bentleys, upper model mercedes....this strip goes on for a few MILES of club after club! what beautiful people i have seen ! makes me feel like crap, though, about myself! hehehe

cali 19 - Unfortunately, Montreal has one of the lowest vacancy rates in all of Canada, so finding housing to rent is competative! In my opinion, the best area to live in is any place in the Plateau - say, between St. Laurent and St. Hubert, from Sherbrooke to Laurier. That is a pretty huge area, but incudes a lot of cool places. If you will rely on public transport, St. Denis is good. Admittedly, I prefer the eastern part of the city and would not recommend living anyplace west of Ave. Parc. - ok maybe west of University. Try this McGill website: gopher://vm1.mcgill.ca/ and look under classified ads for housing. Good luck! You can usually get a sweet deal to sublet students apartments during the summer.

Thank you very much for your reply! I don't know a lot about Montreal...your advice is much appreciate. May I ask why anything west of Ave. Parc./west of University is not recommended? Is that a BAD area? Are there any not so good areas near McGill that I should avoid.

Thanks

Originally posted by numinous:
•cali 19 - Unfortunately, Montreal has one of the lowest vacancy rates in all of Canada, so finding housing to rent is competative! In my opinion, the best area to live in is any place in the Plateau - say, between St. Laurent and St. Hubert, from Sherbrooke to Laurier. That is a pretty huge area, but incudes a lot of cool places. If you will rely on public transport, St. Denis is good. Admittedly, I prefer the eastern part of the city and would not recommend living anyplace west of Ave. Parc. - ok maybe west of University. Try this McGill website: gopher://vm1.mcgill.ca/ and look under classified ads for housing. Good luck! You can usually get a sweet deal to sublet students apartments during the summer.•••

:) :)

I seriously thought that Montreal has one of the HIGHEST vacancy rate in Canada! Compare to Toronto, it is dirt cheap to live around McGill, which is downtown Montreal. You could get a nice apartment in the ghetto (not ghetto in American sense) around McGill for $400/month.

sorry, I don't know the districts in montreal so cannot be much of a help. But my friends all say that getting a place is no problem and should get it at a cheap rate too!

ccryder-

I was wondering about out-of-province (Canadian) applicants... are you a US citizen? Congratulations on getting an interview so early in their cycle!