Mcgill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chopsuey

miss independent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, all...

SO, i'm *finally* almost done my McGill application and i just had a few last minute questions for anyone who applied there, particularly those who are American or went to an American undergrad....i'll just admit right now that i haven't done as much research as i could on SDN or other websites to find the answers, but these past few weeks have been busier than i ever expected! i'm sorry in advance, but please help a girl out anyway!!

1) For references: I have a composite letter that was sent to McGill. what do I write into the section on references? They want three references and you can't get past the page without putting that in. Should i just pick any three that are part of the composite package, or what???

2) What's the int'l area code for the U.S. when calling from Canada?

3) If I had a job for three summers at the same place, do I put them in repeatedly??? There's no way that I can see to mention that I did it for multiple years or anything like that....

If anyone has sample essays, I think I'm all set with mine, but I had a near-impossible time finding sample Canadian med school essays on-line and just want to make sure I'm not doing an incomplete job! Any volunteer essay readers for people who are familiar with what McGill really wants???

Thanks so much, everyone! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

for 2). There is no international calling code b/w Canada and US, they're both +1, so dial to the US like you'd dial interstate.

Members don't see this ad :)
chopsuey, McGill was my undergrad school. :) Unfortunately I don't think I can help much with your essay - just make sure you stick to the (rather annoying IMO) guidelines, and I guess emphasize leadership as much as possible. But if you receive an interview, please be sure to PM me! I can help you with any questions then.

Best of luck, Montreal's an awesome city even if snow is presently (according to Mom) on the ground! :eek:

Originally posted by chopsuey

1) For references: I have a composite letter that was sent to McGill. what do I write into the section on references? They want three references and you can't get past the page without putting that in. Should i just pick any three that are part of the composite package, or what???

3) If I had a job for three summers at the same place, do I put them in repeatedly??? There's no way that I can see to mention that I did it for multiple years or anything like that....

If anyone has sample essays, I think I'm all set with mine, but I had a near-impossible time finding sample Canadian med school essays on-line and just want to make sure I'm not doing an incomplete job! Any volunteer essay readers for people who are familiar with what McGill really wants???

1) yeah, just put down the three references whose letters are now part of your composite package. McGill gets lots of app's from the US; they know what these composite packages are for.

3) I don't know what they asked for on the app exactly. But you could technically just put summers of 2000, 2001 and 2002 under the date section. I don't see why not.

McGill has a set of guidelines for essay. Follow the guideline to its fulliest extent, without going over its page limit.....

Thanks so much everyone!! I'm sending this app out this afternoon....woohoo, last application done! :)

one more question.......

this is written on the admissions website at the bottom of the description of the autobiography contents:

Applicants not currently enrolled as students should indicate clearly what they have done since graduation. The date and outcome of your most recent medical examination should be given and any medical problems or time missed from studies because of illness should be briefly included.

I haven't taken any time off or am still a senior in college, so only the pink part is relevant...am i just supposed to say that somewhere or how am i supposed to incorporate that into my personal statement???

I think I tried to incorporate it as smoothly as possible towards the end of my essay (ex. saying you know you're physically capable of handling the workload of being a physician, etc). That was definitely one of the things that fell in the "annoying" category! :)

btw, don't forget to include the address labels!

I am applying as an American for the international student quota at McGill. Do I have a realistic chance?

My scores are as follows:

April 2002:

11 PS
7 VR
8 BS

August 2002:

10 PS
10 VR
8 BS

Originally posted by bokimbo
I am applying as an American for the international student quota at McGill. Do I have a realistic chance?

April 2002:

11 PS
7 VR
8 BS

August 2002:

10 PS
10 VR
8 BS

You do have a shot! As for how much, nobody can really say. What is your GPA? Where are you doing your undergrad?

My GPA is a 3.6, and I went to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (I graduated in May 2002). I am really hoping that I have a chance at McGill.

Ah, my dear Quebec how your universities call me and McGill, well her aged beauty and victoriana style edifces shine like that lighthouse when in the clutches of a fog ridden cold Montreal night has a hold on you. The Osler building, God rest the founder's eccentric nature, and a ballade upon Dr. Penfield lane is a welcome rest from study in the early spring. Then their is the spirt and procovative nature of the centre ville where ones notions and desires are set free with a sense of joie de vie. The cafes (where you can have a cigarette INSIDE with a cafe after a good meal) at one of the many fine restaurants of Montreal. To attend McGill is to be blessed with all the above. So simply apply as that is the only means to be certain about your chances. I pray to attend McGill some day for a masters or PhD..till then bon chance et courage.

Originally posted by bokimbo

April 2002:

11 PS
7 VR
8 BS

August 2002:

10 PS
10 VR
8 BS

Double check McGill's website before listening to encouraging responses from this board. If I'm not mistaken, they require a 10 in each section as a cutoff. You may be wasting your money, but double check the FAQ and admissions portions for their site.

28 is definitely on the low side for McGill but whether it's prohibitive, I don't know - your chances might have been better with a higher GPA (not that 3.6 itself is bad). What I *can* say is that I was interviewed with a 9 PS (30 total), so if there's a cut-off for each section it must not apply to in-province students.

Apply and do your best on the autobiographical statement...just don't get your hopes up too much. A lot will depend on the stats of the other American applicants which is beyond your control, plus how well your extracurriculars are perceived. I'd say it's a "reach" but not impossible. You won't know unless you try, so best of luck! :)