McGovern vs UHCOM w/ Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiyeah21

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to decide what to rank first, and am looking for y'all's thoughts. As of right now, I think I want to go into primary care, PM&R, or anesthesiology but this could easily change. Note: I haven't prematched at McGovern

UHCOM
Pros
  • Received full-tuition scholarship
  • P/F
  • Brand new building opening this summer
Cons
  • Mandatory attendance
  • Longitudinal clerkships
  • Brand new and doesn't have a long-standing reputation but is still MD
  • Don't think I fit with the vibe of the school totally
  • Rotations are at HCA hospitals, not TMC

McGovern
Pros
  • Loved interview day and feel like it's a great fit
  • All rotations at TMC... enough said
  • Very established and always produce great STEP scores and Match list
Cons
  • Would likely pay full COA (doubt I get any sizable scholarship if I match)
  • Not P/F

Summary: At the end of the day it's really deciding is McGovern worth an extra $100,000 just because of the TMC and its reputation. I know I 100% want to stay in Texas for residency, and I think both will be able to get me there but I am still unsure if the pros of Mcgovern are worth turning down UHCOM.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not a minor concern, and a sense of belonging can help you so much in getting used to medical school.
On the U of Houston thread, one of the current students invited people to DM them if considering attending. You might want to get their comments.

Instead of looking at the price as "McGovern would cost $100,000 more" look at it as "Wow, Texas schools only cost $25,000 a year!"

Reactions: 6 users
Go to McGovern
Any specific reasons? I know how well-regarded McGovern is but coming from my background it's difficult to look that scholarship in the face and turn it down. I doubt McGovern will give me any substantial scholarships.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is not a minor concern, and a sense of belonging can help you so much in getting used to medical school.
On the U of Houston thread, one of the current students invited people to DM them if considering attending. You might want to get their comments.

Instead of looking at the price as "McGovern would cost $100,000 more" look at it as "Wow, Texas schools only cost $25,000 a year!"
Thanks so much for the comment, I'll check out the thread and reach out.

Here's a thread from last year where someone had the exact same dilemma: UHCOM w/ full tuition scholarship vs McGovern. Commenters shared really good pros/cons and opinions.

Reactions: 1 users
Any specific reasons? I know how well-regarded McGovern is but coming from my background it's difficult to look that scholarship in the face and turn it down. I doubt McGovern will give me any substantial scholarships.
You could see if McGovern can offer you anything by referencing your scholarship offer. At the end of the day, McGovern will offer you many more opportunities. A drawback for UH is that I think they’re associated with HCA hospitals, which aren’t they best places to get clinical education. Compare that to memorial hermann, MDA for UTH and you get the picture.

You could see if McGovern can offer you anything by referencing your scholarship offer. At the end of the day, McGovern will offer you many more opportunities. A drawback for UH is that I think they’re associated with HCA hospitals, which aren’t they best places to get clinical education. Compare that to memorial hermann, MDA for UTH and you get the picture.
Unfortunately I haven't prematched to McGovern so I have no real leverage there to reach out. My decision really boils down to if I rank them first and match am I okay with taking on that extra debt. You're totally right about the rotations sites though, McGovern's access to the TMC is almost unbeatable, I am just really torn if it's worth the extra money.

Here's a thread from last year where someone had the exact same dilemma: UHCOM w/ full tuition scholarship vs McGovern. Commenters shared really good pros/cons and opinions.

Thanks for linking it! I actually saw this and was hoping to maybe get some fresh perspective but plenty of great ideas in there. Ultimately it's just a tough decision all around!

What did you end up deciding to do and how did things turn out?
Ended up going with UH and taking the scholarship. The weight of not having that debt on your shoulders is huge and something I almost undervalued until I started living the student life and realized how much of a difference it makes. There are still things about UH that I don't like, but a scholarship like that helps you overlook a lot of those things honestly.

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
I hear that! Debt-free has to feel incredible, particularly when so many graduate medical school with huge debt loads. I'm glad you were able top decide. Congratulations on starting medical school!

@Smiyeah21 Now that you're fully enrolled, is UHCOM truly mandatory attendance for lectures? The student handbook mentions all learning activities, but gives examples of everything except lectures. Thanks for any insight you can provide!