1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

MCP Hahnemann acceptance and living question

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by summertime02, Jun 28, 2002.

1. summertime02

summertime02 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi guys, I just got accepted to MCP Hahnemann!!! I don't really know anything about the area and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about where to live and how much it costs a year to go to MCPH with living expenses included??? Please help me! I don't even know when classes start! thanks! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

For the budget just call them up and ask the financial aid office. Now that you're going there, they'll be more than glad to help out. As to housing, i'm sure they can help in that way too, but look around- center city philly can be hideously expensive or a relative bargain. Try to look for some stuff soon as MANY students move there every year and apartments go fast. good luck and congrats! --Trek

4. ssd

ssd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i just got back from philly today. i spent the last several days trying to find a place to live. the one piece of advice that i would give anyone is to pay LOCATORS for the apartment/house hunting service. you pay them $200 and they provide you with a listing of everything on the market that fits what you're looking for. i was looking for a house that would accept dogs, and it would have been impossible to find a place without paying the $200. the saving grace about the fee is that you can use the service whenever you want (today, tomorrow, 10 years from now). they are essentially a monopoly as far as i could tell. you need to have luck on your side if you are going to find anything without their help.

5. jonquille

jonquille Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

How do you find these "locators"?

Anyone know if real estate agents charge a finder's fee (as they do in Boston, NYC, etc)?

6. ssd

ssd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

pick up any free newspaper on the street corner, and the real estate want ads will be littered with locators listings. you can also try <a href="http://www.phillyweekly.com" target="_blank">www.phillyweekly.com</a>

the locators phone number is 610-918-6300

7. Mutterkuchen

Mutterkuchen Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

We have a "locater" company in St. Louis and it is essentially a scam. Be careful before forking over $200. I would consider a real estate agent.

8. ssd

ssd Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

jbj -

i was worried about the same thing, but i had only 4 days to find a place. i didn't want to come back to california without a place to live still. i would be more than happy to scan the listings that i have, but they are specific to the places that we were looking for (house, &gt;2 bedrooms, allows pets). unless you live in the area, and have time to really look around and deal with multiple real estate agents, i would recommend locators. the fee is $212 total, but $200 is refundable if you can't find a place within 90 days (there are several hoops to jump through of course if you want to get the money back). the other good thing about it is that you can get listings from them any other time you want to move around the philly area, and you don't ever have to pay any additional money.