MCP Hahnemann vs. Chicago Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Megan

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any current students at either of these schools who have anything to help me with this question? I am leaning strongly towards MCPH, I really enjoyed my tour there and all the students and faculty seemed really friendly and helpful. I am also excited about how modern everything seemed, and that it's hooked up for wireless internet. However, I have heard some things about the financial situation of the school, and that faculty have been resigning in large numbers, etc. Should I be concerned about this, have you noticed any problems with the academics for these reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I am a MCP student, as far as the financial situation is concerned the school will have a surplus for this year, and the merger with Drexel will help. I am a first year and I don't believe the academics has been impacted at all. We have some outstanding teachers who go out of their way to help students and care that you actually learn the material. I hope this helps.

As a rising fourth-year at MCPHU-soon-to-be-Drexel, I can say that the story about faculty leaving and financial instability is a true story.....only it happened FOUR YEARS AGO. Right now the school has been gaining faculty for several years, and is financially VERY stable. No worries my friend.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well there are quite a few differences in the schools. I just finished up a masters at CMS (and am currently awaiting a decision on the med school) so I can give you some info on the place.
First of all the grading system between the two schools is different but similar. CMS goes on the letter grade system, while MCP has pass/fail...however I believe at MCP they have Honors, High Pass, pass, low pass, etc...so to me there is not much difference between that and letter grades (that might actually be more specific because at CMS there are no plusses or minuses, just A, B, C, etc).
MCP uses module based learning while at CMS it's the more traditional curriculum where each course is separate and you have separate exams for both. That's a matter of philosophy as to which you prefer, both I Think have advantages.
Class size is similar...CMS will have around 190 this year and MCP normally has around 250. So while MCP is bigger, I think the dynamics are similar.
Chicago vs Philly? Well MCP is a lot closer to the city than CMS is to it's city, but still in both cases it's accessible.

I'm starting my third year at MCP-HU (Drexel) and can assure you that the past financial difficulties are no longer a factor. Some faculty did leave back during the Allegheny problems, but several new department heads (with wonderful credentials!) have been recruited. I can't compare our school to CMS, because I know nothing about that school, but can tell you what I know about ours. The friendly, cooperative atomosphere that you saw is true. For example, during finals this year, classmates were emailing copies of their study guides and charts to the whole class, kind of a "this helped me, it might help you" thing. As far at the grading, it is "Honors / High Pass / Pass / Fail" which I personally think is ridiculous as it implies A-B-C-F where it is actually more A / A- / Pass / Fail.

As far as the "academic" problems, the last 2 years have shown one track (PIL) having a lower than national average pass rate on Step I of the boards. The faculty is addressing this, and I hope to find that our class is reversing this trend.

I can't speak to the clerkship years education yet, but I think that having as many different affiliates as we do gives a chance to get a wider perspective on how different hospitals run their programs, which can only be an advantage.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by jlw2004:
•I can't speak to the clerkship years education yet, but I think that having as many different affiliates as we do gives a chance to get a wider perspective on how different hospitals run their programs, which can only be an advantage.•••••I hear a lot about the financial situation of the university. Okay, it's solid.

What is the condition of the flagship hospitals, not affiliate hospitals? I've heard that part of Tenet's surplus has been aided by short-cutting in the hospitals: poor nursing staff, limited computer resources, slow labs, poor incentives for staff and housestaff, etc.