MCP interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izz-ay

Member extraordinaire
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone
this is my first posting, but have been referring here for info for a while. Just wanted to tell you that you're all really great.
I am interviewing at MCP on 03/04, but was wondering if anyone could tel me what to expect and what types of questions they asked.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Foxyboxer,

I just had my interview at MCP last week. I have heard nothing but good interview experiences there, but mine was slightly different. I was expecting many of the basics like "Why did you apply here" and "Why do you want to be a doctor?" Instead I got grilled about how I would handle undocumented minorities as patients and why the mortality rate is 50% across the street from the hospital. I hope I'm not scaring you, but this was my interview for the first ten minutes or so.

The rest was very conversational, in which I was able to ask questions of my own. It all depends on who you get on the day of and what is on your application. Being from a heavily populated area in California, I was asked about those subjects above. Try not to worry too much, it seems my interview was the deviation from the norm. Everyone else that day had a pretty conversational interview from what I heard. It was unnerving for my first interview, though.

The student interview is over lunch and a lot more informal. Here is where you get the "what do you do in your spare time?" questions. Just trying to figure out if you would fit in at the school.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck and know your application well.

Hey DrWill,

Who was your faculty interviewer? Was it Dr. Kantner?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey foxyboxer, I like your user ID :D

Nope, I had Dr. Zarro. I hear he's big on community service and has won many humanitarian awards. Probably part of the reasons we discussed some of the things we did.

I think MCPH interviews are supposed to be short, as in 20-30 minutes. Before any of the interviewees actually had our interviews, we were told that they would last 20 minutes +/- 5 minutes. True to her word, mine was over in about 20-25 minutes. It was an odd, yet extremely easy interview in that the doctor kept on saying good things about my application without asking me very many questions (certainly no difficult ones).

Yup, they are short. The scheduled time is just thirty minutes. But I didn't find mine in any way easy. Just my rotten luck.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Hey foxyboxer, I like your user ID :D •••••i bet foxyboxer will make a move for your territory.

Hey foxyboxer...
YOu actually have 2 interviews one with a faculty member and a "casual" one with a student over lunch or something....they both count so don't take the student one too casual...(I don't think they told us the student one counted I think I found out after) You get there in the morning, and they give you a presentation (which was nothing except the stuff on their web page) you go on a tour with the admissions lady and then you have a interview with the student and then your faculty interview (you are suppose to have lunch with others but it doesn't work out that way for everyone). I was dissapointed because you really don't get to meet that many students and I didn't really click with the girl I had lunch with...we talked about why I don't want to live in DC??????? so I don't know how much she knew about me by the end (very superficial conversation) and my fauclty interviewer was late and we only had a 15 minute interview that I thought went really well, casual conversation we talked about someone made the suggestion to put one of her adopted children on ritalin and what I thought about this (I have a neuro background)...someone had the same interviewer after me and had hour grilling sessions so I don't know......the directions they send you are good...Good luck (I also stayed at the sheraton downtown which was sweet! Particularly since I had the trip from hell with airplanes and security. I got it off hotwire.com for $53 I think you can stay with a student but none were available when I interviewed) Good luck again!

I am also hoping that interview is on 4/3 since you just posted this thread today?? :confused: :confused:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by oldman:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by Doctora Foxy:
•Hey foxyboxer, I like your user ID :D •••••i bet foxyboxer will make a move for your territory.•••••Doctora Foxy, love your username too!
Sorry to oldman though, no drama like moving in on territory :p Foxyboxer is actually a reference to The Simpsons.
But, hey, great minds think alike! :wink:
Thanks for the great advice everyone...any key things that I should know about the school?

I interviewed there 2 weeks ago, so here's my take:

Everything everyone else said is definitely accurate. I think my faculty interview lasted about 30 min. Interestingly, it wasn't with a doc, it was with an administrator type person. Not sure what her actual job was. Definitely take the student interview seriously. Unlike someone else's experience, I think they made that point very clear in the orientation session. I thought mine went really well, and I think I connected with the guy.

I also had the trip from HE11 with airplanes and delays... DO NOT FLY ATA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Other than that, good luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by foxyboxer:
•Doctora Foxy, love your username too!
Sorry to oldman though, no drama like moving in on territory :p Foxyboxer is actually a reference to The Simpsons.
But, hey, great minds think alike! :wink:
Thanks for the great advice everyone...any key things that I should know about the school?•••••aww nuts! i was hoping to see you two duke it out.