MCPHU vs. state school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

castaway

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks, I know this topic has been brought up many times before, but I would like to see what people have to say about my specific situation. I was accepted to Texas Tech in February and felt quite happy about that--low tuition, decent clinical training and low cost of living. I did not expect any more outright acceptances but MCP Hahnemann wrote to me and said I was in.

I like MCP a lot and would just love to go there but the cost of attendance is way, way higher than Texas Tech's (we're talking 25000 difference per year almost). Would I be totally insane to go to MCP?

Members don't see this ad.

Castaway,

Go to whichever school you will feel happiest at. However, it is important to keep in mind that how much you are spending/in debt does impact your happiness, how much is a personal evaluation you'll have to make. If you plan to take out loans for most of your tuition, living costs etc., your state school is probably the better option. Outside of the top 25 to 30 medical schools, neither the quality of education nor the opportunities available to you will be significantly different at any medical school you choose; the curriculums and philosophies may be different, but the essential material is the same. Thus, if the education is roughly the same and you would feel comfortable at your state school, the lack of huge debt will probably make medical school a more enjoyable experience and make your residency years more manageable. Don't go to your state school just because it's cheaper, but if you feel the that you'd fit in well there, then the lower cost makes your state school a very attractive option. However, if money is less of an issue for you either because you have enough money tucked away for medical school or because you don't mind being in debt, then go to the school where you think you'll fit in best. As an MCPHU student I can say that I enjoy it here, but that is in large part because the school was a very good fit for me on a number of levels, which may not be the case for everybody. If you're curious, I'd be happy to share why I like MCPHU.

Go where you'd be happiest, but make sure you accurately assess how much debt will impact your happiness.

Tony