Mcv Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznwangsta

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, but given the awesome residency match and good reputation (Patch Adam's school), why does MCV (VCU) have such a low GPA (<3.5) relative to its peers?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by aznwangsta
I'm just curious, but given the awesome residency match and good reputation (Patch Adam's school), why does MCV (VCU) have such a low GPA (<3.5) relative to its peers?

I think it may have something to do with location. I was born in Richmond and I have lived in Virginia for most of my life. While MCV may be a great school, Richmond is a PIT... It is dirty, small, and confederate. The other two Virginia schools are in much nicer locations (Ghent in Norfolk, and Charlottesville). I know many people place quality of life (location-wise) high on their priority lists.

My impression, having interviewed at VCU/MCV, was that they really focus on "the total package" and put greater weight on life experiences and other harder-to-quantify factors. Yeah, most medical schools SAY they do the same, but I truly think VCU/MCV considers candidates "beyond then numbers" a bit more seriously than many other schools. Just my 2 cents.

As for the quality of life deal...

I dunno if I buy the previous poster's logic, but everyone gets different vibes from places they visit/live. I have spent time in C-ville and Richmond, and it is certainly true there are big differences between the two -- broadly speaking, C-ville is a bucolic college town and Richmond is a "real city". I, personally, don't care for Norfolk, but if you gotta be very close to the beach, it at least has that angle.

Norfolk and Richmond are both sizable metro areas w/ a big city feel downtown (including gritty, poverty-stricken areas) and sprawling, 'burbs-galore outside. Richmond does have a Confederate past that creeps on to this day, but it is not a faction that necessarily dominates one's experience there. Anyway, not an apologist for Richmond, or a member of the tourist board, just my 2 cents...

Members don't see this ad :)
Capnbuckles is of course correct- every place has a different effect on different people. I shouldn't have been so quick to call Richmond a "pit".. I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I was basing my comment on the fact that I know 5 people (including myself) that applied to all three Virginia schools and withdrew their applications from MCV because they didn't want to deal with Richmond. I grew up in Tidewater (Norfolk area), went to school in Charlottesville, and worked in Richmond for two years.. so I hopefully am not speaking completely out of my arse. Capnbuckles may be completely correct- there may be a genuine consideration of non-traditional factors in applicants to MCV that manifests as a lower matriculant GPA. You might consider asking the admissions department directly.... tactfully of course. :)

Originally posted by Enkindu
I know 5 people (including myself) that applied to all three Virginia schools and withdrew their applications from MCV because they didn't want to deal with Richmond.

Not to drag this off-thread, just like to add that it has been my experience Richmond seems to affect people in rather extreme ways. Can't cite #'s myself, but anecdotally about half of those I know who live or work there really like it and the other half pine for something else. I worked there a couple years and its funky urban charms grew on me.

I'd second the advice about calling the admissions office if the issue of stats eats at you, but I'd likewise advise tact when/if you do so...

This is a bit early given that I'm waiting to hear back from 6 other schools, but would you turn down MCV to go to Saint Louis University? Price-wise they're the same, but reputation-wise I have no idea.
Thanks

I think MCV is a good school, especially in terms of clinical care and family practice. However, I would shy away from basing its reputation on the fact that Patch Adams went there. Its amazing what hollywood sensationalism can do for someone that has been described to me by several who knew him at MCV as a jerk and a quack.