MCV v. Penn State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Carmenita79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a million of these threads, so I apologize in advance...

I just got in off the WL at MCV, which leaves me a little conflicted on where to go. My interview day at MCV was awesome, while my interview day was kind of bland at Penn State, just based on my impression of the that day I would have chosen MCV without a doubt.

However, I went back to visit both cities a couple weeks ago and Penn State kind of grew on me, while MCV didn't seem as awesome as I remembered..... so ultimately they are fairly equal to me.

From an objective point of view they are fairly comparable schools in terms of cost, class size, curriculum, etc. Anyone else have an opinion here.

Members don't see this ad.

Unbelievable! No reply?

I'd say flip a coin and you will know which you one you'd like, I bet that it'll be the one that you don't resist. Or do those homestateless folks at MCV Central a favor. Many of them need some kind of CPR right now. Save a soul, please....

*Sorry folks, it ain't gonna work. She is going to MCV.:(*

huh?

if it can be of any help, im actually staying in Hershey Med Center for the summer so i can tell you a little more about the city, if you want whatever little i have learned since i came here

Members don't see this ad :)
penn state has a more homey(ack i always get homely and homey confused! sorry!) feeling to it. MCV felt kinda all over the place.

Forget what I was trying to say. I just bet that the OP will choose MCV. Also, I'd like to view more replies to her post. So which school should she matriculate? Thanks.

huh?

if it can be of any help, im actually staying in Hershey Med Center for the summer so i can tell you a little more about the city, if you want whatever little i have learned since i came here

are you living in the campus housing? How is that? Have you gotten an impression of what the patient population is like in Hershey? I have been in the hospital there twice and I never really saw many patients around.

are you living in the campus housing? How is that? Have you gotten an impression of what the patient population is like in Hershey? I have been in the hospital there twice and I never really saw many patients around.

uhm... are you blind? I'm not sure how you could be in the hospital and not see any patients. Most people you saw on the hospital side probably were patients.

Yes, im living inside the campus. The building im living in is OK- I have my own room and 3 other roommates, we share one bathroom. The building is old, though. It's relatively cheap and you dont have to pay for any utilities in my knowledge. (my summer program gives me free housing so i dont know the exact rent cost) You also get a free parking space.

The best thing is that it's very close to everything. Right next to the fitness center, and the main hospital / college of medicine building is 5 minute walk.

Patients-wise, I do not get constant patient contact since I'm a bioengineering researcher for the summer, but it felt as if the population was old. Yesterday I paid a visit to the surgery section of the hospital and everyone there was old folks.

Patients-wise, I do not get constant patient contact since I'm a bioengineering researcher for the summer, but it felt as if the population was old. Yesterday I paid a visit to the surgery section of the hospital and everyone there was old folks.

:laugh:

Apart from pediatric and trauma surgery, most people who are going to need surgery which requires an inpatient stay (ie, not an elective chole) are going to be over 40. Hardly old, but yes...many of the surgery patients at HMC are over 40, even horrors...over 60. It doesn't compare with some other local hospitals (ie, Holy Spirit in Camp Hill) where I wouldn't be suprised if the average age of inpatients is 97.43 years.

As a graduate of the surgery residency there, I can assure you that the patients are a good mix of neonates, children, young adults and more senior adults. It is likely that programs with more penetrating trauma will have younger trauma patients, but since Hershey is a relatively young and affluent community, there is no reason to believe that the average age of the surgical patients is any older than anywhere else.

OP, if this choice were mine, and I wish it was, I would choose Penn State but that is because it seems like exactly the right school for me. Theoretically speaking, the 2 schools seem very similar. You'll have to list your priorities and decide based on which school meets them best.

Yah - I was hoping you meant "homey", too. If it felt "homey" to you, as in, comfortable, like home, I would think that's where you should go.

uhm... are you blind? I'm not sure how you could be in the hospital and not see any patients. Most people you saw on the hospital side probably were patients.

I was there memorial day weekend and it seemed dead. Everyone I saw looked like staff. Even at starbucks, the only person I saw was the girl working there.

I was there memorial day weekend and it seemed dead. Everyone I saw looked like staff. Even at starbucks, the only person I saw was the girl working there.

Well, generally over a holiday weekend there is a big push to get patients discharged if they are well enough - although usually bigger holidays like Christmas. There would be skeleton crews of residents and other staff...essentials only. It often seem quiet on weekends but rest assured there are patients and doctors around.

There generally aren't too many patients walking around on the first floor, so if that's where you were I'm not suprised you didn't see any. First floor south has some of the vascular patients, but they aren't often walking around out in the halls except to try and sneak out for a smoke! ;)

Sorry to be dragging, but I'd like to know where should someone from LA stay for some (kind of bland) interview at Pen State, thanks.

*do i use "a" or "an" in front of "(kind of bland) interview?:confused:"

edit: I'll go with "an" if I'd have to.

ACK !!! ya i meant homey!! not homely :O two different things, i always get those two words confused.. haha i dont know how separate them without checking the ol dictionary every time.

yes homey as in nice, quiet, cozy, attractive, etc.

Oh that kind of homey. I thought you guys were talking about a bunch of large, angry people of little means who live in the ghetto. I was picturing penn state crawling with groups of loitering thugs drinking 40's in the middle of the day with bandanas and sagging pants and I was wondering why so many people on this thread wanted to go to penn state.

all i have to say is LOL :laugh::thumbup:

Oh and i forgot to add, go to MCV.

hey dudes, there're a lot of nice ladies interested in those two places right now, one is even torn between them... oopse...... what am i doing! you inner city youths from MCV Central made me do it again, didn't you?

Forget what I was trying to say. But this smiley looks kind of hottie :eek:.