MCV-VCU weird email for invite?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DukeBluDevl02, Dec 10, 2002.

1. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Did anyone else get this mysterious email stating that MCV wanted to possibly interview you within the next 6-8 weeks...?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. CoronaBOY

CoronaBOY Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

damn...ppl...no offense...

but search for the old post...

i think this is about 5th time with same content...

oh well...who cares...

anyway...yeah...that email or status page sound pretty weird saying 'we would like to interview you in 6-8weeks...'

morelikely 3 months...but they do let you know via email and more info will be on your status page...with interview date and hotel, direction...blah blah...

so hang in there...they are pretty slow...and if you call them, they will say it's under review...so no point of doing that...

hope that helped

4. RT

RT Rt
    7+ Year Member

It went from a day to 2-3 mons.

Rt

5. nygirl6464

nygirl6464 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i don't know where the old post is either but there is an old post...i got the same email on 10/31 ...i still havent' heard anything!!! i am thinking about giving them a call.

6. anxiousmed

anxiousmed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey nygirl, let me know what they say, caz i got that email on 10/31 as well and haven't heard a thing yet...thanks

7. anxiousmed

anxiousmed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

has anyone "interview date" been posted after receiving that email recently ( i got the "weird" interview status like in early November). Thanks

8. chopsuey

chopsuey miss independent
    7+ Year Member

hey, there was an old thread...i'll try to bump it up later...i think i actually started one of them ;). In any case, i got that invite in early october and then got a "real" invitation exactly one month later and the interviewed a month after that. i just received my acceptance from them yesterday, so don't worry about that invite...apparently it means exactly what it says! :) good luck, everyone!

9. turley8

turley8 Junior Member

Hey VCU'ers

Congrats to Chop Suey and CRAZYTERP (and others) for getting accepted this round. I am also a 6-8 weeker (found out Dec 9th online), and I decided to dig up some old posts from last year. Here's some of the stuff I found based on the 01/02 application cycle:

- The 6-8 week thing is not a guarantee for an interview. In fact, some ppl got this status in Oct/Nov/Jan and never got the invite. Others received an invite a week later.

-One guy who got the 6-8 week notice decided to call the office, and he received an interview during the phone conversation.

-Some ppl got a 6-8 week notice as late as March even though VCU stopped interviewing in mid-March.

-It seems like there are at least 4 interview time frames: immediate (date published on status web site), within 4 weeks, within 6-8 weeks, and 'can't predict'. These correspond to your priority score.

Stuff about general VCU admission processes:

-Mid-March is the final date for acceptances. VCU gives out 180 acceptances by then (equal to class size). After March 15, as ppl decline acceptances, more acceptances are mailed out as places become available (ppl pulled off the waitlist). After May 15th, the waitlist is split in two: in-state and out-state lists. Whenever an in-stater declines a spot, another in-stater is pulled from the in-state list. The same goes for the out-of-staters - (when o-o-s declines, someone gets pulled from o-o-s waitlist). Does this make sense?

-I think VCU gives out approx. 350 acceptances when all is said and done, so about 170 are accepted between March 15th and the start of class.

-By the end of Jan 2002, VCU accepted approx. 110 ppl. The other 70 were accepted in the last round. Then the waitlist is utilized for rolling acceptances thereafter.

-------

So hopefully this info helps. Disclaimer: I gleaned this info off of SDN posts -- so the accuracy depends on how knowledgeable posters from last year were (and VCU may have changed some things this year). One poster in particular, AMYB, seems to be very knowledgeable about the VCU process. THANKS AMYB FOR YOUR INSIGHT! And if you are around, pls correct any mistakes I made in this really long post. Thanks.

10. anxiousmed

anxiousmed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey turley thanks a lot for that inside info. i hope i receive an interview even though it says 6-8 weeks. Anyways, if you find out anymore info, or if your update changes...let m eknow......or anyone else for that matter......thanks
    anxious

11. anxiousmed

anxiousmed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

12. turley8

turley8 Junior Member

Hey anxiousmed-

Thanks, and I hope you get this interview. Please post an update if you get called/emailed. I hope I get one too! I'm gonna call them after the holidays to see if I can influence them a bit...:p

ps: I looked at USnews, and the amount of applicants accepted last year was 384 (169 non-res). So there was a lot of movement after March 15th.