MCV waitlist/Current students or anyone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jayesh

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know anything about the MCV waiting list. Especially, current students I am a state resident an am waited listed their I wa s wondering what my chances are; last year they interviewed 285 state residents and accepted 220 but since it is June I was wondering if you guys heard of anybody getting in off the list in June, July, August
and their numbers. Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I am on MCV's waitlist also. According to one of my advisors I am " very high on their list and should be hearing any day now from them". However I have not heard anything yet. Also I am out of state. Good luck though!

This late in the year, I would say there will not be alot of movement on the waitlist. Not trying to be a bummer, but I was waitlisted twice late in the year. Supposedly high and never got the letter. But, persistance paid off in the end. Third time was a charm. Also, if you did not apply early then be sure to do so this comming year. With MCVs rolling admissions the early applicant has a significantly better chance. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hamster or Great Pumpkin

How do you know were you are on the waitlist and what advisor told you was it a dean or something? Everytime I ask admission they tell me that it is confindential. I would appreciate it if you would respond. Thanx

The Chapel Hill advisors are very well known and respected; there should have been no difficulty for either of them to get the information.

Otherwise, my source says that in March, the wait-list is divided into two rank-ordered lists: in-state and out-of-state. About 30-40% of in-state and less than 20% of out-of-state applicants are ultimately accepted. Wait-listed students or their advisors may call the Admissions Office after May 15 to check on their status. [Have your advisor call]. Wait-listed students should write a letter to indicate their desire to reamin on the wait-list and submit any new grades or MCAT scores. Greatest movement after May 15 and fewer than 20 students are normally accepted after June 15.

Hey Jayesh!
My advisor takes the liberty of contacting the admissions officers himself because he supposedly 'knows some people'. I, however take everything he says with a grain of salt and advise you to do the same also. ( OK I admit it I am pretty pessimistic! ;)) But on the other hand I really don't push him for this information (because I already have one acceptance which offered me a great scholarship.) So who knows?
At my interview I was informed ( by the dean) that the waitlist moves more for the out of state applicants than in-state. So this is why I included residency information. Meaning even if I did get off the waitlist, your situation might be different.
Anyways, if you really would like to go to that particular school I would advise you to 1) Send a letter of intent 2) Tell one of your recommenders to call/write a letter restating your many benfits as an applicant and inquire about your status and 3) Call to be sure they got your letter of intent telling, whomever is willing to listen, how interested you are.
From what I have seen about admissions..it is all about timing and persistence.. Not GPA's or MCAT's .. Good luck!