1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MCW and Cincinnatti Status?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by qweewq11, Dec 11, 2002.

1. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Anyone know how quickly MCW or Cincinnatti screen 2ndaries and request interviews? And do they do so by snail mail, or email? :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ucbdancn00

ucbdancn00 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

bump....

I'm waiting for MCW!!!

haven't heard anything from them for days.........grrr

my stuff was complete back in August too!!

any ideas anyone??

4. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

I got an interview invite from Cin via snail mail about 4 weeks after my secondary was in. Oh, it also said that I'd be invited on the web status page, probably 2 or 3 days before the packet came in the mail.

5. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

About the same as Zoo for me for Cinci...

6. Kovox

Kovox Going Places
    7+ Year Member

My application at MCW was completed on November 2nd. I recieved a rejection letter from them about a week ago. I don't even know why I applied there, I think they prefer accepting out of state people who are from California:(

7. Maple

7+ Year Member

MCW takes about 50% people from WI and 50% from out of state. It just happens that most of the people from outside are from California. They don't actually prefer californians as far as I know.
    As far as application processing is concerned, they are not too slow, and invites are sent based on how soon secondaries are submitted and applications completed. They are really fast with post-interview decisions. Those are sent out ~1wk after your interview. They also have quite a bit of waitlist movement..so if you are placed on one..do not give up hope. I was pulled from the waitlist last year (this year?) and will be attending next august. Its a great school (my #1 choice!:) ) and definitely worth waiting for!

good luck!

8. WSUreds

WSUreds Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Cincinnati has a set MCAT cutoff, I know that is a 27. If you have less than that, then no interview. I believe that they are more lenient towards GPA since several classmates have GPA's in the low 3's.

9. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy
    7+ Year Member

I called yesterday and was told that they were still reviewing 2ndaries from Late October, Early November. It's my number one choice too. I spent my whole summer at their summer program and really loved the school a lot. I'm hoping that a LOR from a faculty member there will help my case.
    -=Eric

10. Deuce 007 MD

Deuce 007 MD license to ill
    7+ Year Member

MCW started interviewing Nov. 1, except EDP, and let you know their decision in about 2 weeks. So they pretty much just started interviewing last month. The student hoist I stayed with said he interviewed in April and was waitlisted up until a week before school started. Most of the people I talked to there got in right before school started, so there seems to be alot of waitlist movement. Oh and the facilities was one of the nicest and newest buildings I've interviewed at. I would love to go there but I can't handle the cold, it was like 20 something degrees in early Nov., and they said it would get alot colder in mid winter.

11. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy
    7+ Year Member

Thin-Blooded Pansy. How bad to you want to go to medical school?

12. Woots32

Woots32 kinda funky, kinda fine
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I submitted my secondary to MCW in mid-August, and I think I got an invite to interview in October. Like everyone said, their turnaround time post-interview is very fast. :)

Slight off-the-subject question, but for those of you who really liked MCW, what was your opinion of how competitive their students were when competing for residency? I was just curious about what some other people thought. ;)

13. nichols195

nichols195 Member
    7+ Year Member

just received the dreaded 'your application has been put on hold' from cincy, only 2 weeks after my interview.....DOH

14. luw

luw Member
    7+ Year Member

Has Cincy been sending out rejections post secondary (pre interview). My app was complete early Oct (aug mcat, ohio resident) and I have not heard a word.. wondering if I should loose/redirect hope!

15. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy
    7+ Year Member

Just got an invite to interview at MCW. Keep the faith.
    -=Eric

16. macdown

macdown Lego Maniac
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just recieved a rejection from MCW... but I did have a good conversation with the director of admissions. Although it left me a bit perplexed. He told me my grades were very competitive (3.5 undergrad, 3.8 graduate), but my MCAT left something to be desired. He told me they like to see MCAT scores of at least 31 and my 30 wasn't enough to get an interview. He also told me, and this has to be the worst comment ever, if I were a Wisconsin resident I would probably be interviewed and accepted! (For those interested I live across the St Croix river from Wisconsin):mad:

17. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
    7+ Year Member

That's B.S. about average score of 31. My friend took the MCAT last year and got a 27 and received an interview, wasn't accepted though. This year he improved to a 30 and then got in (he took the MCAT 3x). He's from out-of-state. I think that they are full of crap because last year I applied with a 29 and didn't interview and this year I am applying with a 31 and no word from them yet.:oops:

18. nygirl6464

nygirl6464 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i havent' heard from either of them either and i was complete there back in early sept....i am not sure if i should call...so both notify by regular mail of their interviews???? does mcw also notify by regular mail????

19. Jumpu

Jumpu Tiger Mom/Physiatrist
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well I recieved a rejection from MCW and I had a 33 MCAT (but 3.3 undergrad).:(

20. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy
    7+ Year Member

Well, I was at MCW all summer in their Summer Research Program for Undergrads. So, I'm sure that helped my case a little. I also am a Wisconsin resident. They are a private school, but with state funding, they knock down the price to what it costs for me to go to Madison. I didn't think they had preferences though. Maybe...
    -=Eric

21. cabruen

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Ditto for me on the rejection from MCW. 35 MCAT.

22. qweewq11

qweewq11 Smiley orgy organizer
    7+ Year Member

Got dinged my MCW today. 37 MCAT. But low GPA. Out of state.

I think MCW may be big on GPA since, AFAIK, cabruen had a low undergrad GPA as well. Just a guess tho.

:mad: +pissed+ :)

23. Jumpu

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know if anyone will agree with me or not, but I think a higher MCAT should be a better testament of one's abilities than a higher GPA and yet MCW seems to be a prime example of doing the exact opposite. And it's not just MCW, but many other schools too. But like everyone says, it is a numbers game, it doesn't have to make sense. In any case, its been a very disappointing experience for me so far.:(

24. aquaboy

aquaboy Surfer, sailor, swimmer!
    7+ Year Member

I somewhat agree. You have to have both aspects. From personal experience a low MCAT hurts an applicant a lot more than a low GPA. Med schools in general are looking for a reason not to accept applicants because so many apply. Therefore, in general, one has to cover all areas. GPA shows more commitment over the long term, which is what med school is mostly about, wheras MCAT shows reasoning, test taking skills, etc. which is also needed for med school. The truth is a great MCAT will make up for a sub-par GPA at most schools but a great GPA will not make up for sub-par MCAT scores. That's my 2 centavos!:D

25. The Sultan

The Sultan Member
    7+ Year Member

for those of who heard back from MCW (interview or otherwise), what was their response time? Meaning, how long did it take them to make a decision after your secondary was complete? Thanks for ur responses.

26. Jumpu

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My stuff was complete 10/24 and i heard from them a week ago. Hope that helps!

27. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy
    7+ Year Member

I think there are a lot of factors that they may look at. I have an interview in a few weeks. My GPA is low compared to most, I only have a 3.4, but my trend is pretty remarkable considering the difficulty of classes I took (got a 3.9 last semester while taking 400 level classes). My MCAT isn't that great, a 31P (11V 10PS 10BS). After hearing a whole speech from the admissions people, it seems they like to see good Verbal scores (something about being the most accurate predictor of success in medical school). They also said that they will take the best of each category, so if you took it three times, got your high score each different time you took it, (or any variation you can think of) they will take your three highest scores across the board. I guess it is possible that a few people on the committee saw my end of summer presentation and remembered me. There were a lot of faculty that came to watch us. Well, at least we all can be happy that this semester is over! Today, I have absolutely nothing to do. He he he.
    -Eric

28. eschauberger

eschauberger Some Guy
    7+ Year Member

I had my stuff complete in mid November, and heard from them Monday (12-16).
    -Eric

29. Drnunia

Drnunia Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi all, I had my stuff in at MCW in early august and had an interview there on December 6th. I heard back this past monday, less than two weeks later and have been accepted. I have a MCAT and GPA under thier average (3.65 ans 28). I was a little worried since there were like 65 people there for an interview. I am out of state as well. I really liked it there, schools pretty new and lots of students had a lot of good things to say. So Even thought some of you had said they are looking at numbers, my weren't that great so there is some hope out there. Good luck to everyone still waiting on stuff:)

30. sketchball

sketchball Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

How does MCW notify one of an interview?

31. gogiants

gogiants Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

by mail. i just got my interview invite yesterday. i'm leaning towards not going though. perhaps woots can help me, since she got in both there and the school i have an acceptance at (loyola). what did you think of mcw vs. loyola? which would you choose? thanks.

32. Zoobaby

Zoobaby Monkey Wrench
    7+ Year Member

Does anybody know how Cinci feels about MCAT scores? I have a very high Verbal score, but my sciences ain't so hot (13, 9, 9)

I interviewed at Cinci and my interviewer brought the two 9's up and didn't seem all that happy about them. She loved the 13, tho. Will that love be enough to get me in??? ;)

33. DukeBluDevl02

DukeBluDevl02 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Zoo,

I was told the other day, from an MD/PHD person that actually the VERBAL section is a better indicator of how well you're going to on the USMLE. For some reason or another, that is the way it is. The science sections are the last times you'll deal with BS flowery, evolutionary biological science crap (stuff covered mainly in a Biology major) and nonsensical physics that has nothing to do with med school or medicine anyway. So, your MCAT score is still pretty good, good luck with Cinci, we might be classmates.

DukeBluDevl02