MCW class of '08

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got accepted at MCW, and I've decided it is the best school for me. Any other future classmates out there??

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations!!! That's a great school! :clap: :clap: :clap:

congrats!!! i'll also be attending MCW this fall, can barely wait!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I'm so excited!
:clap:

Jordan,

Are you from WI or? I'll be moving there from Las Vegas. I'm planning a trip shortly to check out the housing possibilities so I can be there early & get to know the area. Do you know what area you plan to live in? I am looking at Wauwatosa and Elm Grove. Congrats to you!

I will also be going to mcw in the fall..:clap:

Marianne11

Yea, I'm from wisconsin. I'm still deciding on where to live, but I am thinking either Wauwatosa or downtown/eastside. Wauwatosa would certainly be closer/more convenient but the housing options there are limited compared to downtown which would be about a 15-20 min. drive. If I can find something nice in wauwatosa then I'll definitely consider it though. You should check out this website before you come so that you have somewhat of an idea as to whats available.

http://www.aptshowcase.com/index.php

take care

Accepted at MCW also! Anyone know what the costs are to live on the East Side in Down town? I'm from So Cal, and I think living in the city would make for the easiest adjustment. Any opinions?

decently Kimmer....
bump

Has anyone heard about the list MCW provides incoming freshman regarding potential roomates? I know the school doesn't actually assign people to live together, but I heard there is a list where you can get names of other people looking for someone to live with. Any info?

Javandane,

Thanks for the congrats. From what I've seen, the MCAT and GPA numbers posted in MCW's Facts Sheets seem to be a pretty accurate representation of the actual scores of the incoming class. As for me, I was around the 3.6 and 30 level, but you have to take into consideration a whole bunch of other factors, such as extracurriculars, research, and state residency. In my case, I have a decent amount of extracurriculars, not much research (until this year, but I didn't put it on my AMCAS application), and I am out of state. I think as long as you are around the 3.5 and 30 level you will have a solid shot at getting in. Good Luck! How do you like the city of Milwaukee? Where do you recommend living? I am interested in the East side downtown, but I don't know much about it. I just heard it was kinda the "fun" part of town.

Wisconsin is really a decent place to live. I would also prefer to live in Wauwatosa instead of east side downtown. So HBMD, you are from Huntington Beach...do you surf? :horns:

Originally posted by HBMD
How do you like the city of Milwaukee? Where do you recommend living? I am interested in the East side downtown, but I don't know much about it. I just heard it was kinda the "fun" part of town.

I went to college at the Univ of WI-Milwaukee and lived on the east side from 96-99. It was a fun, nice place to live. There is more going on such as bars, restaurants, festivals, etc. and lake Michigan is right there, which is nice. It would obviously be more expensive than living in Wauwatosa though. I would probably prefer to live closer to the school, at least for the first year, but that's just me.

Thanks for your opinion lisa. Are you going to MCW as well? Can you give me an idea of what rent will cost in the East side compared to Wauwatosa? Maybe I'll just sleep in the trunk of my car to save money....

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I will end up at MCW, although I really liked the school and was accepted :). My SO is on the east coast, so I will probably go to Drexel if I get in (still waiting for a decision post interview). I honestly don't know what rent is in Wauwatosa, but I'm guessing a one-bedroom on the east side would be about $600-800. That is a complete guess...my one bedroom 5 years ago :oops: was $480. There is always the option of renting a studio, that is what a friend of mine did her M3 and M4 years at MCW. I'm not sure how much she paid, but it easily could have been $600 or more (closer to downtown than I lived during college). Sorry if that wasn't very helpful, I haven't lived in WI for over 5 years...

Anyone have any info about a second look weekend, if there even is one?

thats a good question..... i havent heard of there being a second look weekend

BUMP...

Does MCW offer a second look visit??

Jordan 1, sent you a PM. Check it out when you get a chance.
Premed1218, aren't you going to Upstate? Why are you so interested in MCW...decently kimmer

I'm just asking for a buddy of mine. He's 6'4" from Huntington Beach and surfs. He thinks that moving to Wisconsin is going to be a drastic change for him...the atmosphere and the weather to say the least. He is very interested in knowing if MCW offers a second look. HBMD, you are from Huntington too, right? How do you feel about the transition out of california???

Lisa13579, I am dropping my acceptance at Drexel this weekend. Hope this helps! :thumbup:

Hi!

Congrats to all accepted to MCW. Its a great school. and to answer your question about 2nd look weekend...none exists. That's why they try to make the interview day as complete as possible. Hope to see you all in fall!

congratsa gain!

Maple
MCW-Class of 2007

I'm from California too, and I just moved to Brookfield WI for MCW this Fall. The weather *is* crazy compared to Southern Cal, but I love the school. So all us Calis will suffer together and hopefully find ways to keep warm. :p

extending my assistance to any of you new arrivals who'll be attending MCW in the fall. born and raised in wauwatosa, and am currently working in the pharm. dept at MCW. . . .

java,
This is a repeat question, but the more opinions the better. Where do you suggest living? I am leaning towards the East side or downtown, but Wauwatosa wouldn't be bad either. Any suggestions? Any specific apartment complexes you recommend looking at? It's a little more difficult being out of state and finding a place there, if you know what I mean. Thanks

Hi everyone!
I just wanted to say hello from another member of the class of 2008 at MCW! I'm moving to Milwaukee at the end of July, and I have an apartment in Wauwatosa. I'm super excited!

Hi Xandie! I'm so excited too! Java, I just moved here, can you suggest any fun places for dancing? Or more specifically, where do the cute boys hang out? :)

Park Bar, Bar Milwaukee, Have a Nice Day Cafe and 1225 Water are all really good bars to go dancing at. (They are all in downtown, though.) There are usually plenty of cute boys there.

To the OP, where in Brookfield do you live? I'm orginally from Waukesha, but I moved to Brookfield two years ago when my mom did the "Child going to college, so I'm going to sell the house" thing. I'm only there during the summer when I'm not in Madison for school, but it's really nice there.

I really hope I get in to MCW when I apply...I've wanted to go there since I was a kid, the location is great (7 min from my house) and I think I'll be working at Froedert this summer. All of you people that are in are so lucky!!

Offear said:
Park Bar, Bar Milwaukee, Have a Nice Day Cafe and 1225 Water are all really good bars to go dancing at. (They are all in downtown, though.) There are usually plenty of cute boys there.

To the OP, where in Brookfield do you live? I'm orginally from Waukesha, but I moved to Brookfield two years ago when my mom did the "Child going to college, so I'm going to sell the house" thing. I'm only there during the summer when I'm not in Madison for school, but it's really nice there.

I really hope I get in to MCW when I apply...I've wanted to go there since I was a kid, the location is great (7 min from my house) and I think I'll be working at Froedert this summer. All of you people that are in are so lucky!!

HI! I'm from Waukesha as well :) I have a feeling you are much younger than I am though...I graduated from West in 1999. You might know my younger brothers ...where did you go to HS and when did you graduate?

I currently live in Chicago and am leaning towards going to Rush cause I've lived in Chicago for the past 4 years. I really liked MCOW when I interviewed though, and this thread is giving me second thoughts...

lisa13579 said:
HI! I'm from Waukesha as well :) I have a feeling you are much younger than I am though...I graduated from West in 1999. You might know my younger brothers ...where did you go to HS and when did you graduate?

I currently live in Chicago and am leaning towards going to Rush cause I've lived in Chicago for the past 4 years. I really liked MCOW when I interviewed though, and this thread is giving me second thoughts...

Yes, you are correct, I am younger :) . I graduated from South in 2002, but I went to Central, so I know a lot of the kids from West. I know if I got in to MCW, there wouldn't be a second thought in my mind, but everyone is different. You're so lucky that you got into two great schools! I'm jealous!

Offear said:
Yes, you are correct, I am younger :) . I graduated from South in 2002, but I went to Central, so I know a lot of the kids from West. I know if I got in to MCW, there wouldn't be a second thought in my mind, but everyone is different. You're so lucky that you got into two great schools! I'm jealous!
Eek! I said I graduated from West in 1999, but I graduated from college in 1999! I must be getting old.... :p Well good luck to you when you apply.

Welcome all,
I'm actually leaving Milwaukee for school, but I'm living here now, and I think I can provide some good advice. Maybe.

First of all a caveot: I hate suburbs. And MCW is in a typical suburb.

So my first advice is to go to school at MCW, but live on the East Side or Riverwest or Downtown. All burbs suck. Milwaukee rocks. Examples: (1) The art scene here is better than any other comparably sized city in the country (look for four annual Gallery Nights). (2) The city is known for Miller, Schlitz, and Pabst, but New Glarus, Sprecher, Lakefront, Onopa are the real beer champions here. (3) People take environmentalism seriously here. It's part of the liberal platform, but most conservatives are outspoken supporters of nature too (hunting is important). Dozens of NGO's are remaking a post-industrial town into a green nirvana. Oh, and the 16th Street Community Clinic has a whole environmental health department. (4) Most of the dance clubs listed earlier were college/kiddie clubs, and they missed "3" anyway. If that's your thing, great. If not, I like Mad Planet's 80's night; it's not a meat market and there is a better mix of people. (5) Milwaukee?s used bookstores are huge and inexpensive. They are as good as Powell?s in Portland (though darker and musty). I lose hours in them.

That's enough for the moment. Email me at soulbwana[a]hotmail if you have more questions.

Mad Planet sounds awesome. I love 80s retro modern rock stuff. :) What night it is?

How did I miss this thread before?
Hello and congrats to everyone who will be at MCW this fall. I'll be joining you all then. It's good to see some SDN "faces" who'll be in the same boat as I will when we start.
Congrats again everyone.
Don

PCAndrew,

I am not fond of suburbs either and am looking to live downtown however it seems expensive....I've looked at places like Yankee Hill and Juneau Village Towers both of which are about $800 for a 1 bedroom....do u know of any less expensive places in the same area?

Thanks

--What night is Mad Planet's 80's retro?
**Friday nights and Saturday mornings; I can make it to last call but they never seem to kick people out, that's another thing I like about them.

--Downtown seems expensive. Yankee Hill and Juneau Village Towers are $800 for a 1 bedroom. Less expensive places in the same area?
**Yeah, downtown is expensive because downtown is cool. I don't think there are any secret cheap places (though you might look for a loft in the Third Ward). Better, look at things right next to downtown: Brewer's Hill, Marquette campus, or Walker's Point. You should be able to find places for $650 without too much work. Riverwest (my favorite, and just a little further north) shouldn't cost you more than $550 for an OK place, and the 10 Bus runs right past MCW.

Thanks! I can't wait to check out Mad Planet. :)

Xandie,

If you don't mind my asking, how much are you paying for your apt in Wawautosa? I'm coming out to WI in June to look for a place, and everything in downtown and the east side seems so frieken expensive, especially one bedrooms! Any females looking for a roomate?

No worries. My two-bedroom is $635 (base rate $615, but I got a price bump for my cats). I'm not moving in until July, since I'm still in school (Kalamazoo College=quarter system) for another few weeks, but I'm super excited! I searched on forrent.com, and that's how I found it, but I was looking for some really specific stuff. They definetely have cheaper places, without pets, A/C, dishwasher, etc.

Congrats on getting in to MCW everyone! I heard a rumor that Justin Timberlake's :love: cousin is coming to MCW next year! Does anyone know anything about this?!? I think hes from Huntington Beach, but im not sure!

Hey all... I really liked MCW when I interviewed there, and I actually just tooled up there the first weekend of June to check out apartments. But I got accepted to Creighton in my home town so now I'm thinking/leaning towards being close to home during the rigors of medical school. Very difficult though, I love Milwaukee and Wisconsin, such a beautiful state, and PrideFest kicked ass. So, all you MCW hopefuls, might be a spot coming open very soon.

Hey Guys,
I'm likely to join you guys at MCW in the fall. I've been accepted at MCW and I'm on the waiting list at the University of Minnesota (#23 right now). I'm originally from Madison, but went to school at Carleton (in Minnesota) and currently live in St. Paul. I'd rather stay up here for personal reasons (girlfriend, friends, ect..), but it's looking more and more like I won't get off the wait list. Don't get me wrong, I'm very excited about the possibility of moving back to Wisconsin, and everything I've heard about MCW is extremely positive. My two experiences (interview in 2002 and then interview this past year) were great. Again, just wanted to say hi, and I look forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

lpiggty said:
Congrats on getting in to MCW everyone! I heard a rumor that Justin Timberlake's :love: cousin is coming to MCW next year! Does anyone know anything about this?!? I think hes from Huntington Beach, but im not sure!

Well Ipiggty IT IS TRUE...I will start school in the fall and I live in Seal Beach, not huntington....how did you find out that I was coming here in the fall...I went to my interview in mid jan. and not many people knew about my celeb. status. I am still waiting for USC to take me off the wait list, but things don't look that good from USC :thumbdown: I hope the school has a lot of fun people and lots of attractive Iranian and Greek girls (i kinda have a thing for them) :love: I cali there are lots....lets hope for the best.......you would think being Justin's cousin would get me into USC but that was not the case :confused: ANy way I hope that My famous cousin will attend the white coat cermony

best wishes and see y'all in the fall

Hey everyone, I've been accepted at MCW and I have a question for anyone who is currently at MCW: Do you find that the 5-point grading system creates a lot of competition among students? And, how does the system break down? I've heard at some schools, for example, only 4-5 students achieve Honors, maybe 10-20 achieve High Pass, and the vast majority hit the Pass range... is this the way it works out at MCW? Also, do you find it difficult to live on the living allowance? My folks cannot contribute to my medical education, they wish they could. So, I'll be pretty much dependent on the budget... Thanks for all the information!

Anyone have any waitlist new.

Seems like the list has not moved in weeks...

Hey guys,
I needed help on places to live. Is there a list of places to live or list of possible roomates for first year students? Any recommendations on places to look for an apartment?

Did you get your packet yet? There are names/numbers of students who can help you, and a housing form etc.

just got it today- thanks