MCW-Class of 2007

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Maple

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

If you know you're going or are dying to make it off the list..post!:)

got your housing yet?...I just did.. walking distance to the school...whew!!!!!:cool: I don't think its too early to start looking...specially if you're coming from out of state like myself.

hope this thread grows!:)

Members don't see this ad.

As of right now, its looks like we'll be classmates. I haven't started looking for housing yet. I'll probably start next week. oh, and i'll be lookin for a better coat too. :D

Alright!! one potential MCWer!:)

btw..which other school are you thinking about?

A new coat is a great idea...I've been told to expect horrible weather!! aaaaghh!!:( oh well....at least it give me a legit reason to shop!!;)

hope u pick MCW!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
right now I'm holding an acceptance at Penn State and have a spot offered at Drexel, but I think I'll choose MCW over the other 2. I'll decide by tomorrow. I'm still on hold at 3 UCs, so if I luck out there, I'll definitely stay in state. Everyone seems to be warning me about the weather too. how much does it look like rent is gonna be?

Hey guys,

Glad to see a community forming! I haven't found housing yet either... my mind is sort of floating in and out of disillusionment... Any thoughts on good places to stay?

Hey Moskeeto, I assume you're an Aggie? I graduated last year... I know at least one more person from UCD going to MCW, unless you happen to be that person...lol

Anyway, glad to "meet" you all! This is the beginning of what is sure to be a fast-n-furious four years (sorry, just saw the movie...)!

Wow, just noticed that we're all from CA so far... I guess I shouldn't be surprised...hehe

Maple-- May I ask where you found housing? I don't even know where to start! Is your place expensive? And walking distance to school, huh? I'm guessing/hoping that housing will be cheaper than it is here in CA!

Take care, guys

Hey, I'll break the Cali trend, I'm coming in from Utah. Winters are cold here too, but everyone tells me Wisconsin is 10x colder. If there were only mountains to ski on in Wisconsin. . .:laugh:
I am really excited to get going though. I sent for an application for housing at Mayfair manor, It is within walking distance and is only about $600 a month for a two bedroom apt. I'll have a roomate, so that makes rent nice and cheap. For all of you looking for housing, http://www.aptshowcase.com/ has some good pictures of places to live. None of the other renting websites had good pics, and avoiding an unnecessary trip to find housing is good. BTW, I love posts on MCW, keep them coming! I like to hear what you are all thinking about the school. :clap:

One more from Utah - and yes it is colder in Wisconsin. I interviewed in late January and it was about 5 degrees before windchill. I am still very excited, however. I haven't found housing yet. I am flying out at the end of the month. I will be looking for a 2 or 3 bedroom place, hopefully within walking distance. I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

later

hey thanks for the housing link. I'll have to give that a try later. i think i'm going to look for a one bedroom. i'm really eager to live by myself for awhile. I don't mind if I don't get a place too close, i like to ride my bike, but I guess that might be a pain if the ass if its snowing. $600 for a 2 bedroom sounds pretty nice tho.

I liked the school, but I wish I would have gotten a better look at the hospital and other facilities. I remember being really impressed with their staff during interview, so hopefully its not clouding my judgement too much on how the actual school is. Hopefully I'll like it. did anyone have a fish fry while you were in town? theres a ton of bars there too, thats cool.

I forgot to mention that there was a pretty good thread in the allopathic forum on MCW. A couple of current students posted some info on housing.

question for MCW students

Hi all! -

Looks like I'm the first one from Wisconsin to post! I'm 85% sure I'll be at MCW in the fall as well (I'm on waitlists at two out of state schools). I'm from Milwaukee so if anyone has any questions about the city, weather, etc., I'll do my best to answer them!

Looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

Hey...

nice to see other MCWers post!:)

Orbit: I found my apartment last year (I was accepted last year and took a leave). I will be rooming with a 2nd year(I found her last year too! The rent is $780 for a 2bd room 1.5 bath and its about 10 minutes from the campus.

You should check out Milwuakee Journal Sentinel:http://www.jsonline.com/ click on "rentals" on right hand side. Look for rentals in Wuwatosa for walking or -5-10 min driving time apartments.

Also, for those who might have family/friends willing to visit the area there are several duplexes on watertownplank road/harwood (4 singles in one building) that run from $600-650. I've seen a couple...but didn't like them very much. They weren't well-kept and were pretty old. You'd probably end up having a huge heat bill in winter because of that. But...it is an option if you're not picky or are loaded!:D If you have a car....you'd have no trouble at all. You could show up pretty much last minute and still manage to find a decent apartment close to school. Its possible but really time consuming.

Did you guys get a package from the school? On the housing letter from Student Affairs, there's a list of student contacts for various housing areas...I'd give them a call.

I'll post later with more housing info..ie buildings and names..:)

Hey everyone!
I will be attending MCW in the fall. I'm really excited about it. As for housing, I'm going to be living with a second year. Since I'm from Wisconsin, I've taken a couple trips to the area to scope out the housing situation. Haven't found anything as of yet, but I'd like to soon. I'll keep you guys posted on the details of any places I find...
I'm looking forward to meeting everyone in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi all--i will also be attending mcw in the fall and i was so impressed when i went to the school. i am looking forward to it but not to the weather since i am from ca. i guess i better get used to it. i have to look for housing too! so if anyone has more recommendations that would be great and i am going to check out those links that people have posted!! thanks!

yeah, those links are pretty helpful. i'm pretty shocked at how cheap housing is there. I may be able to actually afford living by myself. What are you guys going to do about a car? i'm thinking of giving mine away because i seriously never drive and i'd hate to have to drive halfway across the country in that POS. I'm guessing it'll be impossible to ride a bike in the winter there, but i don't mind walking. damn, maybe i would in the snow tho.

hey nygirl6464, it looks like you and are kind of in the same boat on a couple of places. we're both looking to go here and on the waitlist at a couple of UCs. I'd pm you, but for some reason i can't. where'd you do undergrad? what are your other options right now?

hi moskeeto--i actually went to ucla as an undergrad and yes, i was put on th wl at both uci and davis...i was accepted to mcw and i was so happy b/c i was super impressed with the school the day of my interview.

So guys, any changes in housing? I just filled out the roommate request thing to see what the options out there are. I think I'm underestimating this move way too much! Even though I've taken a year off, it's like I'm going through the vaunted "senioritis" all over again! Anyone else feel this way? :D

I am excited and looking forward to meeting all you guys!:clap: :clap: :clap: Let me know if there are any apartment complexes out there that offer one bedroom apartments. For first year I think I am just going to live by myself.:p When are you guys(out of state students)are thinking about moving down there? First week of August? Let's all SDNers get together and have a little party or something!
Take care guys!
Enjoy the hell out of this summer.
Kid

Weeks ago I had planned on heading out to Milwaukee at the end of this month to find an apartment, but I'm still waiting to hear from one more school and they are lagging. Are most of you fellow Californians taking separate trips out there to find an apartment, or planning to find something on arrival? Anyone considering U-haul? Hmmmm....I wish I didn't have so much stuff. So who else is feeling like they should be reviewing some biochemistry right now?

I'm gonna throw this out there (and it may prove to be sort of ambitious), but what about doing something like splitting the cost of a UHaul and doing a road trip? I am totally new at this idea of moving cross-country, so I'm probably overlooking lots of things, but just thought I'd mention it... Maybe the excitement is building so much that I can't think straight?

Krony, I'm very much in your boat. Though I'm about 95+% committed to MCW at this point, I'm still playing the waitlist game. Where are you from? Anyone else here from the bay area?

I'm also looking to live by myself for the first year and will hopefully meet roommates for the second. I've applied for that roommate list thing anyway, just the same. No idea about apt complexes yet...

As for the biochemistry prep, I talked to a current MCW student there, and his adamant advice was not to do a single piece of studying, cuz we're in for it as med students anyway! Maybe I'm being biased, too, since i figure I remember most of it (haha...) since i'm a biochem major? Aiya...

Take care, guys!

Of course, my idea above would be impractical if we're unreasonably far away to begin with. I'm from San Jose/Santa Clara, went to school at UCD...

hey guys,
add another california resident going to mcw this fall. im from socal and went to UCR for undergrad. still need to find housing though.
the internet can only show you so much...

just wondering if you guys have found an apt yet??? esp those of you from ca how are you going about finding an apt??? are you doing it on the web or are you making a trip out there???

My flight arrives early in the morning. So, I am hoping to spend the whole day checking out apartments with a rental car. Hopefully, I can find something before the end of the night otherwise I may have to fork out some real dough(since all the hotels are overbooked because of the water festival).
So, that's my plan. Hopefully that helps.
See you in few weeksl.
kid.

(Ho ho...it's been a long while since I've posted here!)

Hey Class of 2007...man, this brings back memories (read: repressed) of my move from No Cal to Milwaukee a little over a year ago. Anywho, hopefully the admissions committee has done a better job with your class and not accepted too many gunners (actually, we don't have too many gunners...we just have a really intelligent class...I'm the only *****).

The Class of 2006 is definitely lookin' forward to seeing all your fresh and innocent faces come this August. In the meantime, enjoy these last few weeks of summer...you'll have the rest of your life to study medicine...do somethin' fun while you still can.

Late,

-The SaucyAZN Sensation (West Coast Alias)
-DDog (Midwest Alias)

MCW Class of 2006
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BANANAS & CREAM
The Official Boy Band of the Medical College of Wisconsin
"Drivin' 'em Crazy!":clap: :rolleyes: :clap: :rolleyes: :clap:

yo what up what up, gettin some illinois representation up in here. anyways, i dont' know if any of y'all are still lookin for a place, but me and my roommate (both of us are gonna be M-1) are lookin for a third roommate. if any of you guys are interested, just let me know.

aight see ya'll in a few weeks. also, Does anyone know any good Clubs in Milwaukee?

Hey all fellow MCWers, another fellow Wisconsinite entering the class of 2007 here to answer any questions that you all might have...I went to undergrad in milwaukee, so if anyone has any questions about the area, i'd be happy to try and answer them. See you all in a few weeks!

K

P.S. Anyone play ultimate? I know there were some M2's that played last year and it would be cool to see if we could set some games up. There's a big field right next to school which is a good place to throw. Disc on!

8 days 'til orientation!:eek:

Are any of you guys settled in already? I'm heading out on Monday the 4th.

See you in school!:)