MCW Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

molarjuncky

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody knows anything about their internship? what is their track record of matching their interns? is it a "good" internship where you are given duties like the first year or you just suck spit and watch?

Members don't see this ad.

I am the incoming chief at the MCW program and posting to give some info about our internship program. Our intern functions like a first year resident. The intern takes primary call including facial trauma call which we share with ENT and Plastics (on facial call every three weeks). There are several intern clinics which have staff available for consultation but you run the show. Procedures include soft tissue biopsies and dentoalveolar procedures. The schedule has about 15- 20 people per day.

As far as OR time, traditionally our intern scrubs 50 -60 cases a year. There is about three months of the year where our second year spends a half day at the VA and the third year is gone doing rotations. So the intern comes to the OR and scrubs the cases. If the intern works up the case and the OR case is within the ability of the intern to cut, the intern cuts the case with staff or the chief.

All of the interns in the history of the program have matched except for two people. One has decided to not pursue an OMFS residency and the other is doing another internship. I did the internship and was very happy about all the autonomy that I had to do procedures. Staff is available to help if the intern needs it. Staff will also split sides with you with their sedations/thirds if you work hard and show that you are competent to take teeth out.

We do have an internship available starting July 1st. Our intern that accepted for this year is not able to come. If anyone has any further questions or is interested in the internship, either post on this thread or PM me.

I am the incoming chief at the MCW program and posting to give some info about our internship program. Our intern functions like a first year resident. The intern takes primary call including facial trauma call which we share with ENT and Plastics (on facial call every three weeks). There are several intern clinics which have staff available for consultation but you run the show. Procedures include soft tissue biopsies and dentoalveolar procedures. The schedule has about 15- 20 people per day.

As far as OR time, traditionally our intern scrubs 50 -60 cases a year. There is about three months of the year where our second year spends a half day at the VA and the third year is gone doing rotations. So the intern comes to the OR and scrubs the cases. If the intern works up the case and the OR case is within the ability of the intern to cut, the intern cuts the case with staff or the chief.

All of the interns in the history of the program have matched except for two people. One has decided to not pursue an OMFS residency and the other is doing another internship. I did the internship and was very happy about all the autonomy that I had to do procedures. Staff is available to help if the intern needs it. Staff will also split sides with you with their sedations/thirds if you work hard and show that you are competent to take teeth out.

We do have an internship available starting July 1st. Our intern that accepted for this year is not able to come. If anyone has any further questions or is interested in the internship, either post on this thread or PM me.

johnnyrb, thanks for the reply. what kind of cases typically done in the OR? do you do lots of cancer and trauma? or would you consider the program strong in bread and butter oral surgery (wizzies and implants)? how many level I trauma hospitals do you cover every third week? during last four years, did you take your interns?

Members don't see this ad :)
johnnyrb, thanks for the reply. what kind of cases typically done in the OR? do you do lots of cancer and trauma? or would you consider the program strong in bread and butter oral surgery (wizzies and implants)? how many level I trauma hospitals do you cover every third week? during last four years, did you take your interns?

Great questions. We cover the only level I hospital in southeastern WI which is Froedtert Hospital. We also get a lot of trauma flighted in from northern IL. We also cover Children's Hospital of WI which is level I for peds. We also cover the VA hospital.

Our case load is as follows. We do a lot of trauma in the spring, summer, and fall. We get a lot of pan facial fractures that get flighted in from northern IL and northern MI. We do not do as much as Cook County does. We do a good volume of orthognathic surgery. We get ATV and unhelmeted MCC victims and significant GSWs to the face. Milwaukee has a very high crime rate in the inner city. Our chief last year cut 30 BSSROs, 30 LeFort I mutliple piece, 15 asymmetric double jaws. We do TMJ surgery that includes arthroscopies, arthroplasties (disk removals with silicone implant placement, disk repairs with disk repositioning with mitek bone anchors, total custom TMJs). We have a good referral source for large OKCs, ameloblastomas, etc. We do not do very much H&N cancer like SCCa. About 2-3 times a year we do tag time with ENT or Plastics to do mandibulectomies with free fibula grafts to reconstruct the mandible.

Good case load in clinic for third molars. We have a resident schedule where we sedate our own patients and remove thirds. We also jump in and split or do the whole case of our staff thirds. Implants are mostly done through the VA our second year. Our chief last year did 96 implants. I did 60 implants though I was at the VA when the Iraq first rounders were called up/ returning home and needed thirds out. Our second year put in 12 implants last week.

We have three full time staff. They are benevolent and work extremely hard. They pimp you but do not demean you in front of patients, nurses, etc. Our program is a hidden gem. No research requirement as of yet because we are to busy in the OR and clinic with procedures. We are in the OR three days and add ons prn. If you are looking to become competent at doing basic bread and butter oral surgery plus trauma, TMJ, it is an awesome program. Because it is a small program younger residents cut earlier because of work load demands which makes for great training. Staff cut with any residents, not just the chief.

We do not take our intern every year. I was the last intern taken 3 years ago and maybe we keep our intern every 5-6 years. If the person is an excellent intern than we will keep them. By the way, my name is John Rydlewicz. Hope this info helps!

do you guys let dental students come extern there?

do you guys let dental students come extern there?

We do let dental students come and extern. The only problem is that we do not have housing for the dental students. If you are interested, please contact our residency coordinator at 414-805-5760 and she will be able to hook you up with the information.

Our externship is mainly hands off. If we are strapped for residents, then you could scrub and help. I think still spending time in the clinic and getting the staff to get to know you could help your chances at matching at our program. Our incoming first year resident spent one week with us last summer and worked extremely hard while on his externship. I would recommend coming during a facial trauma week to get the full exposure of what we do at our program.

If anyone is shy and has further questions, please PM me.

John J Rydlewicz
Medical College of Wisconsin

when is your facial trauma week in august?

Our trauma week in August is 13th through the 17th. If any students are interested please call our residency coordinator at 414-805-5781 or pm me.