MCW Interview!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Badgerbabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
YES!!! I am so thrilled that I got an interview invite to MCW today. I actually called up the admissions office this afternoon to check my status, and the receptionist told me that they sent me something last week - she wouldn't tell me what it was. So then I stalked my mailman the rest of the afternoon, and there it was! I am beyond excited, and if any of you have interviewed there, I'd love to know what you thought and how it went (I am reading interviewfeedback.com too.)

Thanks, Shannon

Members don't see this ad.

ALL RIGHT!!!

Go kick some milwaukee butt, Badgerbabe!

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you will like it alot. everyone is chill and very nice. teh facilities are new and the medical school is literally connected to the hospitals. i liked it alot. and they tell you within two weeks if you are in!

Congratulations on the interview! The interviews at MCW are very relaxed and the day is an enjoyable experience. The new facilities, especially the library, are great and the students there are really friendly and are happy to be there. There is lots of time to ask them questions about the school, and my tour guide was particularly helpful in filling us in on why he chose MCW over other schools. We were able to spend some time in the anatomy lab while classes were in session, and I was very impressed with the school. I will likely be attending there next fall. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Thanks for you responses and well-wishes, guys. I appreciate them! Hearing what you have said, I am very excited for this interview. I am very glad it's not stressful, (but I will probably be a bit stressed anyway!) I am also doing the applicant host program and the social the night before, I think it will be valuble to see how the students are outside of school, too. Do they give a lot of acceptances to interviewees (i.e., if you've gotten this far, are your chances pretty good?). It would be cool if we were classmates next year, Dusty!

Thanks, Shannon

Badgerbabe,

I interviewed at MCW on Nov 9 and recieved an acceptance around Nov 18. I have interviewed at other schools and the MCW interview was by far, hands down, the most relaxing and enjoyable interview. Everyone is so nice, especially the office staff and the interviewers. I too got to see an anatomy class in session during the tour. Coming from Madison and interviewing this early, you got a real shot at getting in. I seriously recommend doing the applicant host program. Even though you are from Madison and could probably just drive to MCW, I wouldn't. I think more than anything, the applicant host program will give you a good insight into the life of a med student at MCW. Be yourself and good luck.

Hope this helps,
Altaskier

congrats to you!!! go in and show your stuff!
question (my favorite one) did you take the Aug or April MCAT, or both? GOOD LUCK!

Hey rockaway,
I took the April MCAT.

Hey Badgerbabe,

MCW accepts a large percentage of in-state students they interview. You can check U.S. News, but I think that last year they accepted 150 out of the 220 or so instate applicants they interviewed. I do not know how many of those acceptances came from the waitlist, but the odds are definitely in your favor at this point!

On a side note, I remember that you interviewed at UW a while back. I interviewed there a few weeks ago. I was wondering if you have heard back from them, and if so, how long was the wait between your interview and when you heard back? I have heard that it is sometimes a few months before they let people know, and I am just trying to get a rough idea when I can expect to hear from them. Thanks.

Congrats Badgerbabe! I just received a MCW interview request in the mail also...what date did you pick?

Dusty, I interviewed at WI in mid November, and my transcripts just got there last week. I called on Monday, and they said that the transcripts finally made my file complete and that they were adding it to the review pile for Tue (yesterday). They also said that it will be reviewed this week or next depending on how fast they can get through the apps. They said if they do it this week, they will send a letter by Friday...if its next Tue, then it will be out by next Fri.

Go ahead and give them a call; they are good about giving status info out over the phone.

Dusty, Thanks for the confidence-booster. I would love to go to MCW! I did interview at UW on October 5th, and I found out that I was waitlisted on November 13th. My app was complete when I interviewed, though. Obviously, this is not how I would have liked it to turn out, but the letter they sent was very encouraging that I would be called off the waitlist, so that gives me some hope.
Gotrob, I chose January 11th because I'm still on Winter break then. How 'bout you?

:) Shannon

Originally posted by Badgerbabe:
•I chose January 11th because I'm still on Winter break then. How 'bout you?

•••

Me too. Woohoo, my first "meeting a fellow SDNer" experience. :)

I also picked Jan 11th...prehawk did you have an interview at Iowa on October 18th?

Originally posted by Gotrob:
•I also picked Jan 11th...prehawk did you have an interview at Iowa on October 18th?•••

no, i interviewed here on oct 11th (still no word--ie. i've been held till march). see you in milwaukee.

ps how many people does mcw interview at a time?

They interview about 50 people per each interviewing session...

Hey Gotrob and pre-hawkdoc,
I am looking forward to meeting you guys! I have never had the pleasure to meet another SDNer, either.
Are you guys going to the social on Thursday night?

Shannon

oh, i'm socializing. ;) i also thought it was interesting that, if you stay with a student host, they give you a ride to campus in the morning. BUT, the festivities don't start till 12:30. So...do we just entertain ourselves until then or what?

Does anyone know if we'll have to dress nicely (i.e., suit and tie for guys) for the get-together? I am planning on arriving by Amtrak from Chicago because I can't get a flight into Milwaukee (or rather I am too chicken **** to fly on those small twin engine planes) and so does anyone know how far the thing is from the train station?

moo, are you going to be there on the 11th, too? It'll be a veritable SDN party! The get-together is informal. I probably won't just show up in jeans, though.
The train station is right downtown, and MCW is a bit out into the suburbs, maybe 10 min on the freeway? You'll probably need to get a cab. I don't know much about the bus system, and it's not really near the airport (to get the shuttle) either.
Yeah, I wondered about the morning, too. Do we go to classes with them? Wander through the hallways? Sit in the library? From what I can tell, the program seems to be well-organized, so maybe they will have somethign for us to do.
Shannon

Yup, I'll be there the 11th. I had a choice of two dates from november but stupid mail takes forever to get up here so by the time I got the letter, they said all the November dates were full!