MCW Mass Email--How greedy med schools have become

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pjc199

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks, I rarely come on this side of the forum given that I'm an Osteopathic Medicine beleiver. In fact I never submitted an application to AMCAS. However, to my surprise, which was followed by a good laugh, I received the same email from The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) claiming that I should apply to the school. Allow me show you just how pathetic this email is; folks, I scored in the low 20's on my MCAT and I'm not even an AMCAS applicant. Honestly, can medical schools be anymore greedy and sneaky in their search for those seconary application fees? Pathetic.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, seriously, posts like this are kind of hypocritical. Dont you all argue that its not numbers, etc., that determine a good applicant? And now you say that they are greedy cause they sent an app to someone who has low numbers...its possible they want to diversify, and what better way then to target some folks who have more of a DO bent....I'm not saying they arent greedy, but people all complain they shouldnt care about base stats, and then when they dont, its being greedy to be so indiscriminate....

vhawk01 said:
Ok, seriously, posts like this are kind of hypocritical. Dont you all argue that its not numbers, etc., that determine a good applicant? And now you say that they are greedy cause they sent an app to someone who has low numbers...its possible they want to diversify, and what better way then to target some folks who have more of a DO bent....I'm not saying they arent greedy, but people all complain they shouldnt care about base stats, and then when they dont, its being greedy to be so indiscriminate....

They sent it to recruit people based solely on their mcat scores. They weren't looking at personal statement or anything, so it's not a screen for diverse people or anything at all. Essentially, they're sending an email to every applicant and making it sound like they have improved chances at their school when, in fact, many don't.

Members don't see this ad :)
well tehcnically, applying does improve your chances, regardless of your stats and personal info. but i doubt everyone is as "competetive" as the email claims they are.

and they are not sending out based on MCAT scores.

They are sending out based on the fact that you took the MCAT.

Another thread says that there is a question at the end of the MCW secondary that asks soemthing like 'if you got an email request to apply here, did that affect your decision to apply". Sounds like someone's research project . . . . .

They have to buy these MCAT scores, don't they?

No offense to the poster, but how does she say that allopathic schools are greedy with for application fees? Ever compared tuition rates with allopathic schools buddy? I'm not out to bash osteopaths. All I am saying is that their tuition is pretty horrendous (except for TCOM). If I am going to spend in excess of $30 K a year, I better be getting an IVY league medical degree (in my opinion).

hah, uh oh, don't let this turn into another md vs. do thread

i also received this email. the cynic in me makes me believe that MCW sent out invitations to apply to their school because:

1.) more applicants = more secondary application fees.
2.) their class size is fixed, so by driving up the number of applicants, they can boast of a low acceptance percentage. therefore making them a selective school.
3.) they *might* attract a few qualified applicants who may not have applied there in the first place.

maybe they didn't account for the fact that by spamming everyone, they lose some credibility (at least in my eyes).

I would have to disagree with you mate. I happily got a 35 on the MCAT. Thus far the only emails I have gotten with the exception of two have been from top 20 medical schools. I seriously doubt Dartmouth, Columbia, Case Western, etc would be emailing me if I had a **** MCAT score.

For getting a 35 you sure are oblivious to the fact this thread was from almost 7 years ago.

even seven years ago... the game is the game.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would have to disagree with you mate. I happily got a 35 on the MCAT. Thus far the only emails I have gotten with the exception of two have been from top 20 medical schools. I seriously doubt Dartmouth, Columbia, Case Western, etc would be emailing me if I had a **** MCAT score.

Out of curiosity, how'd you find this thread?

GWU... the biggest scam artists in the world. They get 10,000 apps. Interview maybe a tenth of that. But, they rake in ~100K in app fees alone (adjusting for FAP) Criminals I tell you.

Nope 10,000 apps X $100 per app (can't remember how much they charge right now)=$1,000,000

The heck the money is just to defray costs in reviewing my application, it's to buy a small building.

Nope 10,000 apps X $100 per app (can't remember how much they charge right now)=$1,000,000

The heck the money is just to defray costs in reviewing my application, it's to buy a small building.

you're right, I dropped a zero. My bad.

But DAMN! That's a lot of income. I bet they spend 5 minutes on each app. That costs us $125

At least wait until you get interview offers to start name dropping.

Folks, I rarely come on this side of the forum given that I'm an Osteopathic Medicine beleiver. In fact I never submitted an application to AMCAS. However, to my surprise, which was followed by a good laugh, I received the same email from The Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW) claiming that I should apply to the school. Allow me show you just how pathetic this email is; folks, I scored in the low 20's on my MCAT and I'm not even an AMCAS applicant. Honestly, can medical schools be anymore greedy and sneaky in their search for those seconary application fees? Pathetic.

Just out of curiosity, what does the bolded mean? Osteopathic schools teach pretty much the exact same thing as Allopathic..theres no way around it. They have there OMM but you have to be trained in medicine. I don't think the philosophy distinguishes the two that much that it effects much anymore.

Did that 35 include a 7 in VR? Because you sure failed to notice and reason that this thread was seven years old and did not need a necrobump.

Try not to feel super special either. Those e-mails mean nothing. They send them out to anybody who checks off on their MCAT that they would like to receive advertisements from schools and/or AMCAS. I received these spam recruiter e-mails when I didn't break 30 the first time around (and did not submit or even begin to fill out an AMCAS), and then when I hit 35 during my retake the next year I didn't receive a single recruiter e-mail, probably because I didn't check off the "yes, please spam me" radio button during the exam or registration process.

They send them to anyone who asks to be spammed. You're not a special snowflake. And don't hate on "****" scores. I'd put money that applicants with "****" scores (according to you), will get into those schools; plenty of your classmates will have those "****" scores, and you may not even end up having the privilege of having classmates at a top 20, so leave the ego at the door.

No offense to the poster, but how does she say that allopathic schools are greedy with for application fees? Ever compared tuition rates with allopathic schools buddy? I'm not out to bash osteopaths. All I am saying is that their tuition is pretty horrendous (except for TCOM). If I am going to spend in excess of $30 K a year, I better be getting an IVY league medical degree (in my opinion).

They were even pretentiously using all caps for Ivy 7 years ago...

LOL :laugh: People from 7 years ago would **** a brick at today's tuition.

A low 20's MCAT will make an Osteopathic believer out of anyone pretty quickly lol

A low 20's MCAT will make an Osteopathic believer out of anyone pretty quickly lol

Ha ha very true. I never got the whole "osteopathic philosophy". They preach how they treat the whole patient and not just the symptoms. Are they saying that those of us going to MD schools can't do the same? :confused:

Ha ha very true. I never got the whole "osteopathic philosophy". They preach how they treat the whole patient and not just the symptoms. Are they saying that those of us going to MD schools can't do the same? :confused:

They haven't thought it that far through......

Out of curiosity, how'd you find this thread?
Probably felt special because he got some recruiting emails and decided to run a search to see who else did and 7 years ago was the last time someone was stupid enough to check the "yes! send me more!" box on their MCAT registration.

Did that 35 include a 7 in VR? Because you sure failed to notice and reason that this thread was seven years old and did not need a necrobump.

Try not to feel super special either. Those e-mails mean nothing. They send them out to anybody who checks off on their MCAT that they would like to receive advertisements from schools and/or AMCAS. I received these spam recruiter e-mails when I didn't break 30 the first time around (and did not submit or even begin to fill out an AMCAS), and then when I hit 35 during my retake the next year I didn't receive a single recruiter e-mail, probably because I didn't check off the "yes, please spam me" radio button during the exam or registration process.

They send them to anyone who asks to be spammed. You're not a special snowflake. And don't hate on "****" scores. I'd put money that applicants with "****" scores (according to you), will get into those schools; plenty of your classmates will have those "****" scores, and you may not even end up having the privilege of having classmates at a top 20, so leave the ego at the door.

Ohhhh snap!

2up3czb.gif

I would wager that most people don't subscribe to any real difference between the two schools, beyond pandering to adcoms.

Yeah I agree, but check out the pre-DO boards to see some people who buy into the whole "DOs treat the whole patient" nonsense. I found this gem over there in about 2 secs:

"During my interviews when asked "Why DO" I usually talked about how by treating the patient as a whole, and not just treating their symptoms, I will be a better doctor. Now this is something I actually believe, but I never once used the words osteopathic etc during my interview. I just talked about how its a win win for everyone by treating the whole patient. The patient will probably gain more trust of the physician, the physician understands the patient better, and as a result the physician can treat the patient in more appropriate way (if this makes sense)."

Aderpable.

Yeah I agree, but check out the pre-DO boards to see some people who buy into the whole "DOs treat the whole patient" nonsense. I found this gem over there in about 2 secs:

"During my interviews when asked "Why DO" I usually talked about how by treating the patient as a whole, and not just treating their symptoms, I will be a better doctor. Now this is something I actually believe, but I never once used the words osteopathic etc during my interview. I just talked about how its a win win for everyone by treating the whole patient. The patient will probably gain more trust of the physician, the physician understands the patient better, and as a result the physician can treat the patient in more appropriate way (if this makes sense)."

Aderpable.
Are there any posts made to the pre-allo forum about how their isn't anything different between the two degrees?

Aderpable.

Then the vast majority climb all over themselves to get into allopathic residencies afterwards?

Then the vast majority climb all over themselves to get into allopathic residencies afterwards?

The skin is the largest organ, ergo dermatologists come closest to treating the "whole person."

funny i've gotten several emails from D.O. schools too, so why the fuss?

Aderpable.

Is this term an original creation? I lol'd.

"During my interviews when asked "Why DO" I usually talked about how by treating the patient as a whole, and not just tre:shrug:ating their symptoms, I will be a better doctor. Now this is something I actually believe, but I never once used the words osteopathic etc during my interview. I just talked about how its a win win for everyone by treating the whole patient. The patient will probably gain more trust of the physician, the physician understands the patient better, and as a result the physician can treat the patient in more appropriate way (if this makes sense)."

Aderpable.

Well directly from CCOM's site:

"Osteopathic physicians are trained to treat the whole person."

:shrug:

http://www.midwestern.edu/Programs_and_Admission/IL_Osteopathic_Medicine/More_About_the_Program.html

Okay so I've tried and tried to read articles, wiki entries, and of course threads in the DO forum to try to understand exactly how the osteopathic philosophy works. Is there anybody who can explain it in like... a paragraph in a way that's a bit more illuminating than their website?

I don't understand the "4 principles".

It's just a catchphrase you'll get sick of hearing. RN's use the phrase "well, I'm just being a patient advocate" an awful lot. It's the implication that no one else gives a darn about the patient that really gets under your skin.

smiley_smug.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself!

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BUMPING UP OLD POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outside of that guy being a douchebag for doing it to try and brag. Alright. I will feed his ego.

Congratulations on the 35!!!! That is AMAZING!!! You must be really smart and goodlooking. Good luck at Harvard.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH BUMPING UP OLD POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Outside of that guy being a douchebag for doing it to try and brag. Alright. I will feed his ego.

Congratulations on the 35!!!! That is AMAZING!!! You must be really smart and goodlooking. Good luck at Harvard.

On my phone Jalby, so I can't do this the justice it deserves:

Whysomad_michelleobama.jpg

Necrobumping is a no-no...unless it's your epic "worst admissions office ever" thread.