MCW or Robert Wood Johnson? Why?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

altaskier

Altaholics Anonymous 92'
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay....so which would you all pick and why?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Robert Wood Johnson has a stated preference for bona fide New Jersey residents, so I personally wouldn't apply since I don't live there.

Mr. :mad:

I'd have to go with RWJ on this one.

I like the location better, for one. I'd much rather live in jersey than in milwaukee. nyc is very close, and new brunswick is a really fun city.

I also am very interested in primary care modalities and community medicine. They have a great reputation in those areas and have a really good program started by students called HIPHOP. Both programs are more traditional in their curriculum (a turn off for me). I like case-based or pbl style curricula..or atleast a blend of case-based and lecture.

They do give strong preference to NJ residents, but they interview a fair share of applicants from other states.

Have you been admitted to both? It really is all about how you felt at both of the schools. All of my interviews have been great for that reason. I'm one of those people who definitely considers location and living environment. I don't plan on only studying, but plan to become a part of the community wherever I wind up. For that reason, I would choose the greater metropolitan area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've gotten accepted to MCW, but I just recieved an interview at RWJ and I was wondering whether or not I should go? Because I was thinking to myself, "would I take it over MCW"?
So that is why I wanted to know what you all thought.

Keep in mind that Robert Wood is mostly state students, a lot of them are already from the area (a lot from Rutgers especially). MCW seeems to have a more diverse student body.

As far as reputation- Robert Wood is ranked for primary care medicine. Also another good thing is they have one of the only cancers centers in the U.S. as well as a brand spankin new children's hospital.

The medical school where you do your first two years is in Piscataway which is a drive (about 2 miles) from the hospital and the clinical academic builiding in New Brunswick.

As far as New Brunswick is concerned--it's really not that great. Rutgers is right next to the med school if you like having a really large public school next door. Yeah, it's kinda close to the city but still a drive (about 45 min or an hour train ride).

I don't know that much about the midwest but I think people there are more laid back---you'd probably have more fun at MCW than Robert Wood, which might be a little more cutthrought.

I picture you as a ski bunny right? Midwest might be better with more outside stuff and laid back attitude.

Also keep in mind that robert Wood will grant you in-state tuition (cheap!) in your FIRST year of Medical schhol as long as you move in a little before school starts and get a New Jersey License and a couple of other things.....

Maybe you should check it out and see what you think.....my gut tells me that you would like MCW better but what the hell do I know:)
Well good luck.....

Altaskier, i work at the cancer center that one of the other posters mentioned. I really think RWJ is worth the interview. The affiliated hospitals are growing by leaps and bounds. There are so many opportunites out here. I think you should go to the interview just to see what they have to offer.