Mcw...reminder

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DR. EUGENIC, Jul 24, 2006.

1. DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    has anyone who applied to medical college wisconsin receive a email telling them that they should hurry to finish secondary if they want a good chance to be first when reviewed in august... :confused: :sleep:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    No, I didn't. But I was complete at MCW in early July. Guess I am all set. :luck:

4. Johnny_one_eye

Johnny_one_eye Phleboptimist

Medical Student
    Yes I got that about 2 minutes after I received their secondary app. I'm all complete now though, so no worries for me I suppose :)

5. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    What does the email say? Does it give insight as to when their committee meets for the first time?

6. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    The EMAIL says that DR. EUGENIC is the best applicant they have ever had!

7. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    :D :sleep:
    :laugh: Well, DUH CHYME! We already assumed that! I am wondering WHAT else it said. I doubt they can have Dr. E be the class of 07 all by his lonesome.

8. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    I think it also said that if you don't have a LOR from DR. EUGENIC they won't consider you as a serious applicant.

9. Johnny_one_eye

Medical Student
    Dear Applicant:

We have received your verified AMCAS application for the entering class of 2007 at MCW. Thank you for your interest in the Medical College. We in turn emailed you access information to our secondary application. As of today, we have yet to receive your certified secondary application. I’m writing to inform you that the committee will begin reviewing applications in August and to remind you that applications are reviewed on a rolling basis by completion date. It is in your best interest to complete your application in a timely manner. Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions. Thank you.

Michael Istwan

Director of Admissions

10. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    Huzzah! Okay. I had heard that early apps at MCW had some bearing on things, but I guess this confirms it. Go MCW! I'm waiting by the phone... :D

11. Johnny_one_eye

Medical Student
    ;) good luck to you :luck:

12. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    And to you, as well, my friend.
    Have you heard from SIU? I wonder if people are getting screened through already...

13. Johnny_one_eye

Medical Student
    Thanks, I have not heard from SIU yet, although my AMCAS was just verified on Friday 7/21, so I'm probably further back in the reviews.

14. Requip

Requip Member

Pre-Medical
    My friend applied to MCW last year and was eventually denied. She called and they informed herthat MCW does not consider out of state applicants with a GPA <3.7. I found it quite obnoxious that they'll still send several emails requesting that you submit $$ for their secondary even though they can clearly see that their minimum GPA requirement wasn't met. That's what happened to my friend last year at least.

15. Looque

Looque Bob Loblaw

Medical Student
    I enjoyed how Johnny_one_eye used a winking emoticon.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. DR. EUGENIC

DR. EUGENIC Banned
    Banned

Pre-Medical
    phew... im safe... :sleep:

18. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    And don't forget that you are a URM so you should be a sure thing at MCW! :D

19. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    I'll guaran-f'in-tee you that it matters, a LOT. I was complete by July 15th, and I was interviewed in their first batch on October 7th, accepted October 15th. The year before that, they were interviewing people by Thanksgiving that had been complete no later than August 18th (heard it right from Istwan). People much later than that are up a creek.

20. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    You sure about that? MDapplicants shows that a number of people were interviewed OOS with <3.7

21. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    :thumbup: Is there any truth that people with less than a 3.7 from OOS are screwed? I find it hard to believe that they would take out all of the IL, OH and IN state neighbors because we had a 3.65 or whatever.

MSAR showing:
    Median overall GPA--3.77, Median Sci GPA--3.64, Median MCAT 30.

That would mean that their class is equally above and below these numbers.

22. asunshine

asunshine can't sing but i got soul

Medical Student
    That does sounds kind of weird to me. Their ave is 3.7...so to me that means half of the accepted applicants are less than or equal to 3.7, and they take 50% + from OOS. They require a credit report, too; I wonder how much that has to do with admission.

The admissions office told me the last week of June that they had 4500 applications in, and were expecting a total of 6000ish this year. Yikes!

23. Monkey12

Monkey12 Monkey12

Does anyone know if they have preference for in-state? It could be that their in-state GPA is relatively low causing them to make the 3.7 restriction?

24. jackieMD2007

jackieMD2007 ***MVI***

Resident [Any Field]
    In the MSAR they show that 105 out of their 204 total students came from out of state, so I would say no on that one.

25. silkworm

silkworm Senior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I hope this isn't true. If it is official policy, then it's completely unethical to not to state it upfront.

26. asunshine

asunshine can't sing but i got soul

Medical Student
    They do have a preference for in-state (some state funding), but it's not as strong as it was in the past. I don't know if in-state #'s are worse, though.

27. maestro1625

Medical Student
    well then I'm glad I pulled a 3.7000000000 this semester...

28. justblaze

justblaze Member

phew I am not the only one. I added the school to the list last night. Got the secondary invite this morning and in less than 5 minutes school is telling me to "hurry up." I thought it was funny :)

29. shantster

shantster Eye protection!

Resident [Any Field]
    I was told by a recruiter than came to our school that they will revoke your acceptance if you have bad credit. It would be good to get a copy of yours just to make sure nothing weird is on it.

30. Johnny_one_eye

Medical Student
    Sweet, at least I got one thing going for me. My credit isn't half bad! :oops:

Heheh, glad I'm not the only one too. They must have sent out a mass email this morning.

31. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    I doubt it. I'm headed there, and I'll put my numbers up with the big dogs :D

32. ChymeChancellor

Banned

Pre-Medical
    I miss you DR. EUGENIC... :sleep:

33. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess

Medical Student
    So lets see.... I hurried up and got my app complete, they recieved my LOR's today. I have a good credit report, which is I suppose a good thing if they care, but I'm out of state, and my GPA is less than a 3.7, and going how they look at multiple MCAT scores from when I called them, I have a solid MCAT score, in fact I would call it pretty damn good.

I actually wouldn't mind going there, each time I call, they all seemed so nice. I had to call today to ask if I fulfilled the prereqs because I have an interesting AP scenario. When I called, the director was out to lunch, and so they said he would call me back. Usually, you could wait hours for calls like this. So I go to walk my dog. I come back, and there was a message from the director, and he already anticipated what my question was, and told me I would be fine. This was literally about 20 minutes after I called. I was really impressed.

34. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    yah, Mike Istwan will talk to you. Other deans/directors won't, but he's good stuff. I'd met him a few times before I applied there.

btw, your credit report is either good/not good. they just want to make sure you'll be able to get loans, if I understand correctly - they're actually doing you a favor, because you'd rather find out now that you're not eligible for loans.

35. drwannabe44

drwannabe44 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Do you mean they take the highest of the sections and add them or do they average the two scores??

36. musiclink213

musiclink213 My room is a mess

Medical Student
    When I called, they said they take the highest of the sections and add them. So lets say the first time you got a 9 10 10 and the second time you got a 10 9 8, they would take you to have a 10 10 10. Of course, it is all possible that when I called, they may not have understood what I was asking, or I understood them incorrectly, but that is what I understood her to mean when I called.

37. drwannabe44

drwannabe44 Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    ohh ok thanks..im pretty sure you heard right...well...hopefully

38. GoodDoctor

GoodDoctor Senior Member

Medical Student
    That's right. He came to our school to do a workshop and said this exactly. You get to keep your top score from each section. Everyone at my school applies there, so it's common knowledge around here (and my school does the same thing).

39. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    I went to UWM - where'd you go?

40. GoodDoctor

GoodDoctor Senior Member

Medical Student
    UofU. So, my chances aren't as good as yours were. Still, last year we had 99 students apply to MCW and 12 got in, which makes it one of our top accepting schools. Not sure how many actually attended. I hope I get in. It's my favorite realistic choice outside of the state. I have a sister in Milwaukee, so I'll have good family support if I go. They love Milwaukee, and from friends that have visited, it sounds like the folks are easy-going and welcoming, which would suit me nicely.

41. MollyMalone

MollyMalone I'm a Score Quadruplet
    Moderator Emeritus

Milwaukee is an awesome place, and MCW is a great place to go to school.

:luck: :luck: to everyone that is applying!

42. Biostats.moore

I just got an email from them saying I could be a potential candidate...does the secondary only come after AMCAS is verified?

43. 45408

45408 aw buddy

Resident [Any Field]
    MCW's probably best known for being a friendly, kinda family-oriented school, and I did meet quite the Utah contingent when I interviewed last year.

44. DrHusky

DrHusky Member

Pre-Medical
    I got this too. Apparently AMCAS send out your MCAT even if you don't apply to the school. I replied to the email telling them that I didn't even send a primary, and someone responded about 45 seconds later telling me that it is not a problem....sounds like desperation....although I liked being begged to apply.