MCW still wants Designated School section!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bruin4Life

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently sent MCW a copy of my AMCAS application. I heard that MCW was getting back to students via email about faxing over the Designated School section, so to avoid this I included a letter mentioning I was interested in the regular M.D. program, and that the last two pages of my application were photocopies because I removed the designated school section.

Just now I get an email from MCW telling me that I need to fax them the missing section. What have you guys done? Did you fax over the section? I'm thinking of calling them, but maybe someone else already did and can share with us what they said.

thanx,

Members don't see this ad.

I taped paper over the names of all the schools except the one I was sending the application to, and then I photocopied it. My labmates and I debated white paper versus black, and I went with black. So far, no complaints.

I think they just want to see that you designated them, but they cannot demand you share with them the other schools you applied to.

I just sent them my list.
I don't think it matters in the end.
Who cares really?
Just be sure you have a valid reason why you would go there if you are interviewed. And if you don't have a valid reason, then you shouldn't be applying there anyways.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent them the entire list. Who cares if they see what schools you applied to?

Scooby, I'm sure many applicants, including myself, can find valid reasons for attending the schools we designated. Like many, I'm applying to a range of schools. I may think a certain school is a match for me, but that school may think otherwise. I think the smart thing to do is apply to a handful of schools not necessarily having "valid" reasons at present, but to later find if there's a match. Currently, if I supplied you with my school list and you drilled me on why I wanted to attend each school, I may not be able to answer for each school. I think each school has it's own personality, and in the process I'll weed my list down as well I''m sure some schools will weed me out.

Anyway, back to the topic. I called MCW, and told the admission's person that the Designated School List wasn't part of the offical application so I took time to removed it. She mentioned they need it in order to see if we're early entrance, regular M.D. or whatever else. I mentioned I included a letter specifying that I was applying to the regular M.D. program. After some time in hold she told me I didn't need to send the section. It appears they overlooked my cover letter with my interest in the "regular M.D. program".

Moo, although schools may say they do not care how many and what schools you've applied to, unconsciously it has to factor in. If ad comms is deciding between two students with equally impressive applications, and one candidate has 30 schools on his list, while the other has 7 and those seven are all within a certain geographic region then they may assume that the student with seven schools is more likely to attend thier school.

Bruin,
I sent them my whole list with all 38 schools on it!
If you asked me at this time why I wanted to go to each and every one I would not be able to tell you except for the fact that my grades and mcat and all that other stuff seemed to match those being accepted. I am saying is there should be some reasons by the time you get to the interview why you applied to some place. For wisconsin, it's b/c my mother is from there. Simple...

amcas does not list the schools when it forwards your app so I don't think they have a right to ask for it since they would otherwise not receive it. all of the schools I have sent printed amcas copies to have not required the designated schools section. i called each school before sending them in to avoid any confusion and they all said leaving that section out was fine.

Originally posted by Georgey:
•amcas does not list the schools when it forwards your app ...•

I wouldn't count on that this year, since they are saying they will send paper copies to the schools. You think AMCAS is going to take the time to make a different version for each school? Doubt it.

Pam

I find that unacceptable, especially since a footnote on the printout says that the list is not ordinarily provided to medical schools.