MCW students & soon to be students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting M1 in August and recently moved to Brookfield. All I can say is I'm bored as hell! I have never watched more TV in my life. I think there is a reality show covering every aspect of life. Has anyone else moved here yet? If so, what are you doing? For all you current students who stay in WI during the summer, do you have any suggestions? I'm going to the Dells and on a cruise, but I'm going stir crazy. I never thought I'd miss my friends so much, or the stupid places we use to hang out and complain about.

Members don't see this ad.

there really isn't much to do in brookfield.....try headin downtown or to the eastside...u'll find alot more goin on....i realize this might be hard if u haven't met anyone yet.

Hi Jordan,

I've been to milwaukee a few times, but what area is considered the eastside? Most of the areas I've seen are scary looking with the exception of Lake Dr but that's just a bunch of expensive homes. What are the streets etc. where the fun places are?

Thanks!

-Marianne

Members don't see this ad :)
Brady street and water street are good places to start. Depending on what your "scene" is Milwaukee has something to offer.

there's a few places in the same area that are pretty cool....Taylor's, Eve, and Tangerine....they are all close to the intersection of Wisconsin Ave and Milwaukee Ave. Taylors is cool cuz u can sit outside and enjoy the weather....Eve is a standard dance club (upstairs), and Tangerine has a cool orange atmosphere to it

If beer and brewery tours are you thing, check out Lakefront Brewery.
Lakefront Brewery

$5 to tour the brewery. It comes with a pint glass and almost unlimited opportunites to sample many of their microbrews....i always leave there a bit tipsy! you may want to bring a friend who doesn't like beer to drive home.

Thanks for the replies & I'll check it out. :) If anyone is coming to town to look for housing I may be able to help. Send me a PM. I deleted our class email that has everyone's addresses so just thought I'd post it here.

I'm moving to Wauwatosa on July 19th, and if I'm bored before classes start, I have every intention of sitting on my butt and relaxing as much as possible. :)

I am getting good at relaxing Xandie. :)

Hey another question: why are fireworks on July 5th here and not on July 4th?? The 4th of July parade is on the 5th too? Does anyone know what's up with that?

Marianne:

Have you been to Summerfest? I've gone every summer since I was eight, except this year (because I'm getting married tomorrow!!!).
Maybe the fireworks have something to do with that.

Wow! Congrats on your marriage!! I haven't been to summerfest yet, I plan to go to a few in the next couple of weeks. I've just read that all state parks celebrate the 4th & do fireworks on the 5th. I thought maybe because of the 4th being a sunday that religion might be the reason. Going anywhere fun for your honeymoon?

Hey everyone-
Just wanted to pop in and say hello.
As far as activities go, definetly get to summerfest this weekend (before its over). great food and tons of music.
there is also always the milwaukee public museum, and the milwaukee art museum.
Hope to see you all in a few weeks.
Don

Don,

I'll check it out. Thanks! :) See ya soon. BTW..I'm the tall busty blonde (j/K)

Members don't see this ad :)
Marianne11 said:
I'm the tall busty blonde (j/K)

LOL... I'm the short busty redhead!!

Marianne11 said:
Don,

I'll check it out. Thanks! :) See ya soon. BTW..I'm the tall busty blonde (j/K)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bump!

T minus two weeks, people. I just moved to Tosa last week and am waiting (impatiently, according to my husband) for this whole class thing to start.

Let's go! :)

I just saw the thread and thought I'd say hello. My name's Drew and I'm I'll be an M-1 in a couple of weeks too. I'm moving down to Milwaukee on Sunday from St. Paul. Again, just wanted to say hi, see you all soon!

Xandie said:
Bump!

T minus two weeks, people. I just moved to Tosa last week and am waiting (impatiently, according to my husband) for this whole class thing to start.

Let's go! :)

I know what you mean! Have you checked out the books at the bookstore yet? I walked around campus the other day to get familiar. I'm so nervous but very anxious to get started. :)

Hi Drew. Have a fun move. :)

Is everyone going to buy scrubs from the bookstore for lab? I also hear we should get nitrile gloves so we don't smell like cadaver all day. Anyone know where they sell them?

Marianne11 said:
Hi Drew. Have a fun move. :)

Is everyone going to buy scrubs from the bookstore for lab? I also hear we should get nitrile gloves so we don't smell like cadaver all day. Anyone know where they sell them?

No clue, Marianne, but I figure we can talk to the current students to figure that out. Did you notice the first afternoon of orientation is full of "life at MCW" and break-out sessions with current students? I'm keeping all my questions and planning to bombard some M-2s then.

Cute new pic! Is that you? I like the dress.

Marianne-

I sent you a PM.

Original message-

hey guys, I'm going to start my M2 year at MCW. just happened upon this thread. don't bother buying scrubs or nitrile gloves. just get an old pair of pants and shirts that you don't wear anymore and throw them out after the year's over. also some student organizations will be selling gloves in the first few weeks so don't bother with the gloves yet. I'm not sure if they'll have nitrile but unless you're allergic to latex, i'd just get the latex, which i know they do sell. and sorry to tell you but no matter what you do, you WILL smell like cadaver =( any other questions, feel free to email me. You guys should look forward to the upcoming weeks, the orientation committee has worked hard to set things up. I'll be volunteering for a bunch of things so I'm sure I'll see you. If you see me come introduce yourself. My name's johnny.

Thanks Johnny! Can't wait!

sweet
looking forward to it!!

Hi everyone,
I am also a soon-to-be M1 student at MCW. I have talked to a few of you before (I sent out the email about doing stuff). Hope everyone is having fun moving in and getting settled. I am living in West Allis now -- about 10 minutes to school. If anyone is bored beyond belief like I am, email me and we can get together and do something. I know that next saturday I am getting together with another M1 student to play tennis. Anyone plays tennis out here? if you do, please joins us :). I won't be in Milwaukee until monday again, so if I don't reply -- be patient. take care all,

Kevin

PS anyone interested in doing something next saturday, email me: [email protected]

Hey Kevin,
I just emailed you about next week. I'm also a big tennis player, so feel free to email me if you need a third.

I just got an email from MCW yesterday. Apparently they saw my MCAT scores and sent me info about the school and said I should consider applying. Is this a good sign? I've applied early decision to my local school (Univ. of KY), but if I'm not accepted, I'm going to apply other places as well. I took the MCAT last year but never got anything like this. Does that mean that my score is significantly better this time around?

I think it is something new for this year and really has no influence on the admissions committee... I do not believe it means much. sorry... The only good sign that you will be getting from a medical school demonstrating that they are truly interested in your application is an interview. Best of luck during the application process...